6" Alnico -vs- 8" XRS

Doody

• Troublemaker
6" Alnico -vs- 8" XRS
« on: 24 Oct 2022, 12:10 am »
Greetings all!

I have had a pair of CAMs for years that I love quite a bit.

I drive them with flea-level power.

We moved a while back, and the volume of my new room is 3x maybe 4x the old room. I find myself pushing the amplification too hard now and then. I'm asking a lot of the little fleas.

I was looking into the Super 8 XRS instead since it's a more efficient driver - 98db sensitivity vs. 94.5db on the CAM.

Wondering if anybody here has made the move from the alnico to the ferrite magnets and what they thought of the change in sound.

Any feedback appreciated!

Thx
Doody

RDavidson

Re: 6" Alnico -vs- 8" XRS
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2022, 07:03 pm »
I’m a long time CAM owner as well. Like you, I’ve been very curious about the 8XRS. Note, I’ve had the 3XRS and the 3HO wide baffle monitors in the past. I really like the little RS5 driver a lot. The description of the RS8 being like a larger RS5 seems like a real winner to me. It’ll sound different than the 6” Alnico, no doubt. If I were to guess, it likely sounds more exciting and dynamic than the 6” Alnico.

My suggestion is that you order a pair (like the ones that recently sold in the beautiful Claro Walnut on the Omega website), have them delivered to my house, and I will report my findings back here for you. Of course, they will need to stay in my home/system indefinitely for ongoing evaluation and re-evaluation. I can do this free of charge. :lol:

Doody

• Troublemaker
Re: 6" Alnico -vs- 8" XRS
« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2022, 02:02 am »
You are truly a generous gentleman, RD.

:D

Appreciate the info regardless :-)

Doody