listening to music releases dopamine

Berto

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
Re: listening to music releases dopamine
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2011, 03:19 am »
Also posted here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=90093.msg888872#msg888872

Great that you noticed the study too. Interesting implications for why we keep trying to "improve" our systems and a probable explanation of our "obsession" (I mean hobby   :D ).

Berto

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2011, 04:03 am »
Yeah I definitely missed that or I would'nt of repeated.  :duh:

Hopefully others who missed your posting will  see this one as well. :o 

davidrs

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2011, 02:09 pm »
Kind of surprised there are not more comments on this.

Deals with the most important, critical and variable link in the chain, namely us.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2011, 02:12 pm »
Kind of surprised there are not more comments on this.

Deals with the most important, critical and variable link in the chain, namely us.

Yeah but there is no equipment to buy/make and no tweaks to do...

davidrs

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2011, 03:04 pm »
Yeah but there is no equipment to buy/make and no teaks to do...

I've got a drill and a screws in variable lengths handy.... :D

Have you read some of the posts in the multi vitamin, supplement, and ear cleaning threads - I'd label them as inexpensive tweaks  :)

A fine wine or cognac or scotch is a tweak I generally recommend but now I'm wondering how they mess with my dopamine.

Frank's (GiantSteps) recommendation to load up on SSRIs might work! Though check with an accommodating physician first.

I'm in the process of patenting a magic dopamine generator. Will be easy to self test and I'll be posting a tour - sign ups?

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2011, 03:12 pm »
I thought it was equally interesting that listening to music you hate " will activate the amygdala, the brain’s fight or flight center, and that will cause a release of adrenaline".  Must be some link to battle drums and national anthems...

This one also is food for thought  "Dr. Levitin said humans are a musical species and that our brains co-evolved with music as a means of communicating with each other.".

That is pretty fascinating.  On the lighter side, could you get a better excuse to upgrade your stuff?

davidrs

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2011, 08:09 pm »
And can we get a line into our wives and partners!

NO more WAF - think about the possibilities.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2011, 08:11 pm »
Yeah but I would have to listen to her stuff  :nono: :duh:...

davidrs

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2011, 08:18 pm »

This one also is food for thought  "Dr. Levitin said humans are a musical species and that our brains co-evolved with music as a means of communicating with each other.".

That is pretty fascinating.

On a more serious note and on topic:

Motherese from Wikipedia:

"Another possible origin of music is motherese, the vocal-gestural communication between adults (usually mothers) and infants.[5] This form of communication involves melodic, rhythmic and movement patterns as well as the communication of intention and meaning, and in this sense is similar to music.

Motherese has two main functions: to strengthen bonding between mother and infant, and to help the infant to acquire language. Both of these functions enhance the infant's chances of survival and may therefore be subject to natural selection.

Motherese has a gestural vocabulary that is similar across cultures. The way mothers and babies raise and lower their voices and simultaneously change their expressions and move their hands is similar in Asia and Europe, for example (in spite of linguistic differences such as tone languages versus non-tone languages).

... Research on the ability of the fetus to learn and remember sound patterns, and on the active two-way nature of mother-infant communication, is consistent with this theory.

... If this theory is true, the internal sounds of the human body and the relationship between those patterns and emotional state may be the ultimate source of the relationship between patterns of sound and movement in music and their strong emotional connotations. This theory is consistent with the universal link between music and religion and the changed states of consciousness that music can co-evoke."

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prehistoric_music

Makes sense that dopamine would be involved and critical.

- David.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2011, 08:53 pm »
I think this statement is not always true and the results vary depending on the conditions of hearing the music.
When I am forced to listen Madonna, Cristina Aguilera and others nightclucb female ''singers'' of my neighbor spinster maid, my dopamine down surely. 
Worse than this is when my other neighbor, a black guy starts to hear samba in a Boom-Box singing those stupid lyrics, that guy must be mentally ill, in this case my adrenaline goes up.
Looks nobody knows Mozart anymore.
Gustavo

> Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a cat or dog from the street. On the streets pets live only two years average.