Love music? Thank a substance in your brain

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
Love music? Thank a substance in your brain
« on: 9 Jan 2011, 07:05 pm »
Here is a study that might be of interest.

From AP:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iGKsfXug2k7AwAbag9hj4wBfg0DQ?docId=f3e1478353ea434090287cb732c2ea8d

Robert Zatorre and Valorie Salimpoor of McGill University in Montreal write in an article posted online Sunday by the journal Nature Neuroscience.

Short excerpt:

"PET scans showed the participants' brains pumped out more dopamine in a region called the striatum when listening to favorite pieces of music than when hearing other pieces. Functional MRI scans showed where and when those releases happened. Dopamine surged in one part of the striatum during the 15 seconds leading up to a thrilling moment, and a different part when that musical highlight finally arrived.

Zatorre said that makes sense: The area linked to anticipation connects with parts of the brain involved with making predictions and responding to the environment, while the area reacting to the peak moment itself is linked to the brain's limbic system, which is involved in emotion."

davidrs

Re: Love music? Thank a substance in your brain
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2011, 07:13 pm »

giantsteps

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2011, 07:29 pm »

Fascinating! Thanks!

I need all the serotonin and dopamine re-uptake inhibitors I can lay my hands on.  :thumb:

Frank

emac

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2011, 08:18 pm »
While nothing in neuroimaging is as simple as we'd like for it to be, I find it interesting that the neurotransmitter is dopamine.  Kind of wonder if it's part of the reward pathway that is involved in substance dependence. 

davidrs

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2011, 03:57 am »
"According to Meyer, it is the suspenseful tension of music (arising out of our unfulfilled expectations) that is the source of the music’s feeling. ...Music is a form whose meaning depends upon its violation." From the linked article below.

A great read if you are interested in learning more about why we 'dig' music.

The article delves deeper into the study and also provides some related information.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/01/the-neuroscience-of-music/