Viggen's Bike Gear and Progress

Levi

Re: Viggen's Bike Gear and Progress
« Reply #80 on: 13 Sep 2011, 03:06 am »

viggen

« Reply #81 on: 13 Sep 2011, 05:08 am »
Very nice build.  Nice combo of old school and modern.   

See you went with Campy.  How do you like it?

Thanks for the comment.

I only have one ride on the bike so far. 

With the DA7800, I click on the shifter once, the chain clicks into a new gear.  It has a click to click preciseness.

With the Athena 11spd, there is definitely a lack of mechanical feel as there is with the DA7800.  First, the shifter feel is rather spongy.  Second, the chain moves very smoothly almost too smoothly as sometimes I can't even tell the gear changed (probably also because there's 11 speeds instead of 10 on the 12-27 cog), so there is no click to click preciseness.  But, I think I did have better command of the drive train after a few more miles.  I still have to think about how much pressure to apply when shifting, but, when done right, I can shift both up or down 2 or 3 gears at a time very quickly.  Will improve with time I suppose. 

For the Olmo's purpose which is fun and fitness, I think I like the Campy on it.  I might want the confidence and control of the DA7800 if I raced.  Overall, the Olmo is much more fun to ride than the Fuji.  It might be the newness factor.  But, steel does feel better than Scandium/aluminum.  There's an indescribable energy or buoyancy that runs through the body when riding the steel frame that I don't get from riding aluminum or carbon frames.

viggen

« Reply #82 on: 13 Sep 2011, 05:14 am »
Viggen, I've been following your thread for months.

Regarding brake lever reach, you will not find Campy easier to reach than Shimano. In fact, the opposite may likely be true (although much depends on the shape and dimensions of your bars, and on the positioning of the brake levers on the bars). For an easier reach, and for adjustable brake levers that can accommodate smaller hands, I suggest SRAM. In addition, SRAM components are generally compatible with Shimano. For example, many SRAM owners use Shimano cassettes and chains because they find the Shimano cassettes and chains run quieter than the SRAM counterparts.

Campangnolo is not compatible with either Shimano or SRAM.

The best suggestion I can offer is to stop throwing darts at frames and parts. You've spent way too much time assembling nice, but ill fitting bikes. You'll save money and time by paying for a professional fitting and seeking the advice of a local, experienced dealer or builder of bikes.

Thanks for you advice.  Honestly, don't think I have the issues you've stated.  No reach problem.  No fitting problem except for a couple of week on the Toyota Fuji when I first got it.  No compatibility issue as I have all Campy on my new bike.

viggen

« Reply #83 on: 13 Sep 2011, 05:15 am »
Very nice build.  Congrats!  :thumb:

Thanks.  :D

tvad4

« Reply #84 on: 13 Sep 2011, 02:12 pm »
Viggen, I was commenting on this statement.

Like I said, I already purchased and received the Ultegra 6700 shifter.  I find the shifter to be too big for my hands.  I have rather small hands for my height or rather for any height...

I own Campy and I like it. However, I've always had issues reaching the brake levers while in the drops (and I have average size hands), so I've been focused on solutions for quite some time, which range from bar shape, bar reach, tweaking the levers with a dab of epoxy to shorten the reach, to switching to SRAM.

BTW, while I've never used Campy Athena, your comments regarding the shifting qualities of that grouppo are completely opposite of my experience with both Campy Record 10 and 11 speed. With both those grouppos, shifting is quick, precise, and definite. No mushiness or slop.

You've made other comments throughout the thread about fit issues, and others have commented on various fit problems. However, if you believe you no longer have any fit issues, then my previous post is moot.

Enjoy the bikes.

viggen

« Reply #85 on: 13 Sep 2011, 04:35 pm »
Viggen, I was commenting on this statement.

I own Campy and I like it. However, I've always had issues reaching the brake levers while in the drops (and I have average size hands), so I've been focused on solutions for quite some time, which range from bar shape, bar reach, tweaking the levers with a dab of epoxy to shorten the reach, to switching to SRAM.

BTW, while I've never used Campy Athena, your comments regarding the shifting qualities of that grouppo are completely opposite of my experience with both Campy Record 10 and 11 speed. With both those grouppos, shifting is quick, precise, and definite. No mushiness or slop.

You've made other comments throughout the thread about fit issues, and others have commented on various fit problems. However, if you believe you no longer have any fit issues, then my previous post is moot.

Enjoy the bikes.

Oh... I never even installed the 6700 shifters.  They are just larger than previous Shimano shifters.  For reference, my entire gruppo is Campy Athena 2010.

And, all my comments regarding the Athena are relative to the DA7800 group on my other bike plus my inexperience with it.  Just because it's less precise than the 7800 doesn't make the Athena imprecise.

I believe I don't have any fit issues at the moment.  Some might pop up later.

Thanks.

LadyDog

« Reply #86 on: 13 Sep 2011, 11:58 pm »
Your in good hands with the Olmo.  Being a steel frame too and having a somewhat special ride.

My first real road bike was an Olmo with Galli.  Those that know the name Galli, dates us all.

I'm with you Tvad, my experience with Campy is definite indentations when shifting.  Though not ridden the Powershift stuff which I am led to believe has a different feel than Ultrashift.  Not quite sure from your comments, did you switch to Sram? 

Regardless, Campy is nice gear and Viggen's bike is certainly a nice bike.

tvad4

« Reply #87 on: 14 Sep 2011, 01:14 am »
Not quite sure from your comments, did you switch to Sram? 

I didn't.

viggen

« Reply #88 on: 23 Dec 2011, 02:23 am »
Not putting in the miles since about October as weather has been unusually cold.  And, started to gain holiday weight since November.  So, started getting back on the roller. 

I usually ride 10 miles at a time on the roller and average about 16-19 mph.  My speed been getting faster during December.  This morning, my mph is 24.4 with 97 average cadence. 

It would be nice to be able to do this on the road if not for wind resistance.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/135905522