Songtowers "First Words" - What Was / Is Yours?

mathgeek97

Re: Songtowers "First Words" - What Was / Is Yours?
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jan 2010, 02:19 am »
irishluck73 -

I would be very careful with Audyssey.  I would listen without it for a few weeks.  On several occassions I recommended owners turn the Audyssey off and in every single case, they reported a remarkable improvement.  If you need to use Audyssey to control room modes to keep the bass in check, try and prevent it from correcting anything else.  The speakers themselves will likely derive no benefit from Audyssey.  It can only mess things up.

- Jim

I'll have to agree with Jim here.  Although I do find Audyssey helpful on movies when I'm playing at a very low volume.  But for music, the distortion just kills me!

(W)KRP

Audyssey & Dolby with your Salks
« Reply #21 on: 1 Feb 2010, 08:07 am »
Here I was thinking that I needed Audyssey Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume and MultiEQ XT on my new A/V build.

Now I am wondering if I would use Dolby Pro Logic IIx to simulate 5.1/7.1 surround from 2-channel music. Has anyone tried PLIIx with their Salks to good effect or bad?

MichiganMike

« Reply #22 on: 1 Feb 2010, 11:05 am »
Now I am wondering if I would use Dolby Pro Logic IIx to simulate 5.1/7.1 surround from 2-channel music. Has anyone tried PLIIx with their Salks to good effect or bad?

My SongTowers are in a 2-channel system.  However, I have used Dolby Pro Logic IIx to simulate 7.1 from 2-channel sources in my home theater with Von Schweikert speakers driven by Parasound Halo amps and controller.  The result varies dependent upon the source material.  On some material the Pro Logic IIx simulation sounds unnatural and I prefer 2-channel and in other cases the Dolby Pro Logic IIx provides an immersion in the music not achieved with simple 2 channel.  In my experience, acoustic performances with simple vocals and instrumentation often sound best in 2-channel.  YMMV.   

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #23 on: 13 Feb 2010, 09:25 pm »
first words

standing in Jim's warehouse in the "set to stain / finished cabinet) room

"these are the song towers - hoping to simplify the woodworking, quicker assembly" - Jim

Tom - "a Salk speaker for the masses, great idea!"

my friend Todd who is a woodworker " wow, these are beautiful!"