Accuton MTM?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Accuton MTM?
« on: 20 Aug 2007, 03:39 pm »
Any interest in a a dual 5" MTM with Accuton woofers?
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2007, 11:54 pm by Rick Craig »

obiwan11

Re: Accuton MTM?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2007, 08:05 am »
Will it sound better than the SSR?

Christof

« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2007, 01:26 pm »
yes

AvFan

« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2007, 05:08 pm »
First post, but I occasionally check in on the Selah Circle and the Selah Audio site to see what cool speakers Rick Craig makes.  An MTM with 5" Accuton drivers would be something.  Just some questions Rick: Are you thinking ported or closed box?  Ribbon tweeter?  What do you think the price range might be finished and in kit form?  I assume since this would be a small speaker it would likely be used with a subwoofer.  Didn't I see photo on the Selah site of an Accuton MTM in a dipole configuration?

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2007, 07:03 pm »
That would be real interesting. floor stander or monitor? I love my Tanzanites  but would like to move further up the speaker food chain. but i just don't have room for one of Rick's floor standers at this time although as much as i would like too. 8)

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2007, 03:52 pm »
Will it sound better than the SSR?

I can't really answer that until I finish the design. If you're looking to run either one full range the SSR will have greater bass extension.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2007, 03:55 pm »
First post, but I occasionally check in on the Selah Circle and the Selah Audio site to see what cool speakers Rick Craig makes.  An MTM with 5" Accuton drivers would be something.  Just some questions Rick: Are you thinking ported or closed box?  Ribbon tweeter?  What do you think the price range might be finished and in kit form?  I assume since this would be a small speaker it would likely be used with a subwoofer.  Didn't I see photo on the Selah site of an Accuton MTM in a dipole configuration?

Sealed or ported is possible. A sealed version would need a subwoofer but the ported option could be run full-range. Tweeter and pricing to be determined. Yes, I did design a custom 3-way dipole with the same woofers.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug 2007, 03:56 pm »
That would be real interesting. floor stander or monitor? I love my Tanzanites  but would like to move further up the speaker food chain. but i just don't have room for one of Rick's floor standers at this time although as much as i would like too. 8)

Monitor, but it could also be adpated to a floorstander.

Carl V

« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug 2007, 05:37 pm »

Hmmmm, that sounds very interesting MLTQW?  TL.

{I have the SSR's....curious as to how that would sound as a MLTQW.
Didn't you once have an SST as a Floorstander.  I'm quite familar with
the SST as both sealed & ported stand mounted Monitor
.} sorta thread fart.  :D

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2007, 06:23 pm »

Hmmmm, that sounds very interesting MLTQW?  TL.

{I have the SSR's....curious as to how that would sound as a MLTQW.
Didn't you once have an SST as a Floorstander.  I'm quite familar with
the SST as both sealed & ported stand mounted Monitor
.} sorta thread fart.  :D

Maybe it could be done - I haven't looked into that. There's only so much bass you can squeeze out of a 5" driver in a TL despite some of the BS marketing that you read  :wink:

J Payton

« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2007, 07:30 pm »
Any chance of a MTMWW maybe using two of the 10 inch Aurasound woofers along with the Accuton drivers. I have been considering building something similar to this. I would prefer not to use a sub-woofer.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #11 on: 27 Aug 2007, 07:32 pm »
Any chance of a MTMWW maybe using two of the 10 inch Aurasound woofers along with the Accuton drivers. I have been considering building something similar to this. I would prefer not to use a sub-woofer.

You read my mind  :thumb:

Carl V

« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2007, 10:27 pm »
Maybe it could be done - I haven't looked into that. There's only so much bass you can squeeze out of a 5" driver in a TL despite some of the BS marketing that you read  :wink:

I agree....I'm thinking quality of bass not Quantity.  I've heard a nice 2way stand mount redone as a QW floorstander.  I was just curious if 2 5" drivers in a nicely done Floor stander (QW) would replicate the experience of the previous single 7" driver.  I know you've done the SST & SST Floorstander...I was just wondering, what with your experience, what your thoughts were that's all.

The big MTMWW ought to sound impressive.

Hogg

« Reply #13 on: 28 Aug 2007, 01:38 am »
Rick,

Will you reveal the traget price for these speakers?  Thanks.

Jim

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #14 on: 28 Aug 2007, 01:48 am »
Rick,

Will you reveal the traget price for these speakers?  Thanks.

Jim

Sure - which format did you have in mind? The 5" MTM with or without additional 10" drivers? The MTM will be $2,800-$2,995/pair including shipping. The difference in cost depends on the veneer and tweeter. Right now I'm looking at a very high quality 1" dome and also a ribbon tweeter. The RMAF demo pair will be available for pre-show sale at a nice discount  :wink:

A full-range floorstander (like the RC5) with dual 10" AuraSound woofers would be about $7,250. There are also other possible variations such as a 3-way with a single 10" or a 2-pc. sub/satellite combination. Any of these are excellent choices depending on your system needs and budget.

For those looking to save some $ here are a few options. We can of course supply kits and you can build your own cabinets. There are nice production cabinets (cherry,maple,black ash) available as well if your cabinetmaking skills are limited.
« Last Edit: 28 Aug 2007, 02:40 am by Rick Craig »

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #15 on: 28 Aug 2007, 03:18 am »

I agree....I'm thinking quality of bass not Quantity.  I've heard a nice 2way stand mount redone as a QW floorstander.  I was just curious if 2 5" drivers in a nicely done Floor stander (QW) would replicate the experience of the previous single 7" driver.  I know you've done the SST & SST Floorstander...I was just wondering, what with your experience, what your thoughts were that's all.

The big MTMWW ought to sound impressive.

I'll be working in September with Paul Kittinger on QW-TL (Paul assisted with the TL for the Salk Song Tower). I had worked with Paul on two previous designs and suggested a particular Scan-Speak woofer for this project. Paul agreed and I think this will be the best one yet in terms of bass extension and quality.

AvFan

« Reply #16 on: 28 Aug 2007, 04:45 am »
Rick, how would you describe the sound of these MTMs in a sealed box with a ribbon tweeter compared to the Tanzanite?  I ask, because I had the opportunity to demo the Tanzanites on a west coast swing several months ago (Thanks, again!).  How difficult would it be to orientate the MTM for center channel use?  Lastly, how much would the MTM (sealed box) kits run?  Thanks!

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #17 on: 28 Aug 2007, 05:10 am »
Rick, how would you describe the sound of these MTMs in a sealed box with a ribbon tweeter compared to the Tanzanite?  I ask, because I had the opportunity to demo the Tanzanites on a west coast swing several months ago (Thanks, again!).  How difficult would it be to orientate the MTM for center channel use?  Lastly, how much would the MTM (sealed box) kits run?  Thanks!

I would like to know the answers to those questions also but i think Ricks still working ion the design  so we will all have to sit back and wait a little  bit.  :wink:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #18 on: 28 Aug 2007, 11:47 am »

$1,050 / pair (includes drivers, assembled deluxe crossovers, deluxe bi-wire binding posts,misc. parts, and shipping). With CC use the smaller ribbons dictate vertical placement for best results. If you want a horizontal CC the Pro5i ribbon is a better choice (adds $250 to the cost).

Compared to the Tanzanite the MTM would be more dynamic (dual 5's give you the equivalent of a 8" woofer in terms of air that they can move). The sealed cabinet is also more compact and MTM's tend to sound more "focused" because of greater vertical directivity.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #19 on: 28 Aug 2007, 11:53 am »

I would like to know the answers to those questions also but i think Ricks still working ion the design  so we will all have to sit back and wait a little  bit.  :wink:

This could vary a little depending on the crossover design :

$1,050 / pair (ribbon tweeter)

$1,250 / pair (1" dome)

Both prices include drivers, assembled deluxe crossovers, misc. parts, deluxe bi-wire binding posts, and shipping.