Reckhorn F-1 Active Xover Review

mcgsxr

Re: Reckhorn F-1 Active Xover Review
« Reply #20 on: 8 Jun 2007, 11:35 am »
I would strongly recommend looking at using a pair of F-1's.

No solder, dead simple, and affordable fun!

Jolojl

« Reply #21 on: 8 Jun 2007, 11:55 am »
Hi mcgsxr! :)

I am tempted, it's really a cheap way. The Behringer and Marchand have more suitable functionality however (greater possibility to vary the XO point not the least) :scratch:. Just curious if you've had the possibility to compare the Reckhorn sound quality to the Behringer and Marchand?

Johan 8)

mcgsxr

« Reply #22 on: 8 Jun 2007, 02:12 pm »
I have not heard any of the other ones, and having heard the F-1, I am disinterested.

It fits well in my system (where I don't need to go over 150Hz for bass, and don't care about stereo bass <ahhh, flame me!>).

Good luck in the search!

zobsky

• Fringe Lunatic - Dallas, Tx
    • My Audio Blog
« Reply #23 on: 8 Jun 2007, 03:09 pm »

Hi zobsky!  :)

Thanks for your very informative answer! I was wondering, except for the noise issue, do you notice any difference in sound quality to the permanent XO you make afterwards? Would you say the Behringer is good enough for permanent use?

Thanks!
Johan  8)

I can't give you an apples-to-apples comparison as I would've had to build a 4th order passive (much $$$).
That said, the behringer certainly didn't sound worse than my passive crossovers.

FWIW, I did hear the marchand x-over in a triamped system. The system sounded good,but I couldn't make any judgement about the crossover itself.

Re. permanent use,
1. the turn on/turn off pop always bothered me (especially on more efficient speakers), but it's easy to get around if you turn on the amplifiers last and/or use a protection capacitor on the tweeter. I suppose I could solder a cap across the on-off switch to suppress this pop, but I never bothered.
2. as I mentioned, the pots and switches on mine got noisy and less responsive over time. I suppose it could be lack of use, but it still doesn't give me a good feeling. I did manage to restore them though.

Behringer hasn't got the best reputation for reliability, but this piece has worked fine for me at a low cost. I suggest you try it if you don't intend to subject it to heavy torture. You could always return it if it doesn't work for you. The main advantage of this crossover vs. the F1 etc  is the flexibility in chosing crossover point & phase,but it doesn't look as solidly built.

There are several other better built pro-crossovers (eg rane) if you want to upgrade later on. I've got my eye on some of the digital ones but can't justify the expense at this time.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #24 on: 8 Jun 2007, 03:18 pm »
as far as big-dollar-ticket x-overs go, i am waiting for a used (read: less expensive!   aa ) deqx pdc2.6.  this will give the best of all worlds, imo - 3-way xover & dsp room & speaker eq.

ymmv,

doug s.

scorpion

« Reply #25 on: 8 Jun 2007, 04:24 pm »
Regarding bass and stereo. I have been experimenting a bit with my Behringer DCX 2496. I crossover between my bassunits and the B200s I use at 150 Hz: Linkwitz-Riley 48 db/octave in both low- and highpass. Listening to bass only I have a very hard time to recognize any stereo signals, it sounds like mono and so
it does if I go down to 24 dB/octave also. Not easy at all to identify any stereo effects. I suspect that the stereo effects have been recognized when people
have crossed at 6 - 12 dB/octave when higher frequency directional sounds become more prominent in the bass output.

/Erling

Jolojl

« Reply #26 on: 9 Jun 2007, 08:42 am »
Hi guys! :)

Thanks a lot for all your input! Conclusion so far for me is that I still haven't decided :scratch:. Since I haven't heard any of the XO, functionally the Behringer is the winner while pricewise the F1 is the winner. The Marchand is only if I DIY.

As to bass directionality I haven't tested, but they say that under 60 Hz there is no way of telling where bass comes from. Scorpion says even up to 150 this might be the case. However I'll go stereo just to be sure  :)

Thanks again guys! :)
Johan 8)

Jolojl

« Reply #27 on: 12 Jun 2007, 04:37 pm »
Hi again guys! :)

FWIW I wanted to say that I got hold of a used Behringer incl. Neutrik XLRs at a good price. I chose the Behringer for its functions (stereo, XO point variable between 44 and 800 (I think), phase inverter, etc.). I would have chosen the Reckhorn had it had those functions, and had I had the money or DIY skills, I would have chosen the Marchand.

Thanks again for your input!

Johan 8)