EA S7700 Turbomod plus TurboSuperclock2

PhilNYC

« on: 4 Jan 2005, 12:23 am »
I wanted to write a quick followup to my comments about the EA S7700 basic mod + Jensen caps (found here:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=12225).  After borrowing lonewolf's fully-loaded EA S7700 and hearing improvements, I sent my unit back to EA to get the remaining mods.  Received the unit the week before Xmas, and now I've had a chance to listen to it more in-depth, as it has had time to break in.  As mentioned previously, I am using this unit to feed my Dodson DA-218 DAC.

I'm just going to cut to the chase; adding the Turbomod and the TurboSuperclock2 was easily a worthwhile upgrade from the basic mod and Jensen caps.  Similar to my experience of getting the original mod, the main emphasis of this upgrade has been an overall improvement in clarity...a lifting of haze that I didn't even know existed.  Dynamics are improved just to the right degree, while the sound maintains a level of smoothness and liquidity that is musical and engaging.  Individual instruments are imaged well, but are also integrated within the soundstage in a very realistic manner.  Particularly with vocals, there's just something really really  right about how it sounds.  Cymbols have character (not just like white noise, but with timbre and body), bass has texture, and so on....and it all melds together with PRAT and cohesiveness.

As some of you also know, I've been doing an evaluation of a transport kit based on the Philips CD-PRO2M transport mechanism, and that much of the evaluation has been done in comparison to this EA S7700.  I'll do an update on the modifications we've made to the kit and how they have improved that unit in the appropriate discussion thread.  But I will say that this EA S7700 has fended off a good competitor.  Comparing a scope of the digital outs of each reveals that the EA S7700 does have a truer digital out from the perspective of a cleaner square wave.  And sound-wise through my Dodson, while the units are similar in terms of detail, soundstage, and imaging, there's no question that the EA S7700 has a smoother, more musical and seductive sound.  Of course, the total cost of mods to the S7700 is just over $1300, and S7700's are getting harder and harder to find compared to the $700 for the CD-PRO2M kit...but in terms of performance, the EA S7700 with Turbomod and TurboSuperclock2 continues to be a tremendous performer.  Highly recommended.

Mad DOg

« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2005, 12:32 am »
thanks for sharing, phil...

having heard the EA modded p3a DAC, there's no question in my mind that steve does some great work!  8)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: EA S7700 Turbomod plus TurboSuperclock2
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2005, 12:58 am »
Quote from: PhilNYC
I wanted to write a quick followup to my comments about the EA S7700 basic mod + Jensen caps (found here:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=12225).  After borrowing lonewolf's fully-loaded EA S7700 and hearing improvements, I sent my unit back to EA to get the remaining mods.  Received the unit the week before Xmas, and now I've had a chance to listen to it more in-depth, as it has had time to break in.  As mentioned previously, I am using this unit to feed my Dodson DA-218 DAC. ...

Phil,

Glad to hear that the upgrade has worked out.

I think that rather than put more money into modding my S-7700 (I have the basic mods + Jensen caps), I will go the pc route.

Steve has posted that this sounds better than his transports and it will allow me instant access to my cd collection via iTunes.

George

Mad DOg

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2005, 01:28 am »
Quote from: zybar
Steve has posted that this sounds better than his transports and it will allow me instant access to my cd collection via iTunes.

George

George,

You may want to check w/ Jon L regarding this...When he brought his PC to my place for the last listening session, we weren't able to get Fubar to work at all so we used iTunes and got mixed results when compared to using my CD transport.

He recently mentioned that while he still hasn't been able to get Fubar to work yet, he discovered that .wav files sound different than iTunes and wanted to bring his PC by for the next session at my place to compare using .wav files instead of iTunes.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2005, 04:41 am »
Nice review Phil !! Glad it worked out so well !! :beer:
    and S7700's are getting harder and harder to find compared to the $700 for the CD-PRO2M kit...
    [/list:u]
      Well maybe Steve should look into the CD-PRO2M for further upgrades/mods that he can do to this new player. :) [/list:u]

byteme

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2005, 04:59 am »
    Quote from: zybar
    Phil,

Glad to hear that the upgrade has worked out.

I think that rather than put more money into modding my S-7700 (I have the basic mods + Jensen caps), I will go the pc route.

George
    While I have to concur that the EA mods to the 7700 are wonderful, not to mention his DAC mods (oops, can I say that here?  :wink:  )  One thing I've read recently that sounds very interesting is the possibility of using a PC for a source and doing pre-output parametric EQ to compensate for room effects.  Something like that could be a real interesting, not to mention cost effective route to taking room effects out of the equation!

Keep up the good work Steve!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
    « Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2005, 01:15 pm »
    I have a little used second hand stock S7700 and a dAck! v.2, but am still on the sidelines regarding transport mods vs. audio PC.

The option for EQ makes the PC more attractive.  Here's the system I was thinking of:

Visaton B-200 ($160 extended range 8 inch driver) based open baffles (96 dB/w/m, 40 - 18,000 Hz, 6 ohm)

Clari-T 8 wpc, 6 ohm battery digital amp

dAck! v.2 DAC

Audio PC with EQ

What do you guys know about media/dummy friendly PCs like Norhtec Panda, shuttle, or mini Mac?

audioengr

« Reply #7 on: 27 Feb 2005, 07:55 pm »
    Quote from: JLM
    I have a little used second hand stock S7700 and a dAck! v.2, but am still on the sidelines regarding transport mods vs. audio PC.

The option for EQ makes the PC more attractive.  Here's the system I was thinking of:

Visaton B-200 ($160 extended range 8 inch driver) based open baffles (96 dB/w/m, 40 - 18,000 Hz, 6 ohm)

Clari-T 8 wpc, 6 ohm battery digital amp

dAck! v.2 DAC

Audio PC with EQ

What do you guys know about media/dummy friendly PCs like Norhtec Panda, shuttle, or mini Mac?

You might ask this question on the forums:
    http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59
    http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/bbs.html

Jon L

« Reply #8 on: 27 Feb 2005, 11:17 pm »
    Quote from: Mad DOg
    George,

You may want to check w/ Jon L regarding this...When he brought his PC to my place for the last listening session, we weren't able to get Fubar to work at all so we used iTunes and got mixed results when compared to using my CD transport.

He recently mentioned that while he still hasn't been able to get Fubar to work yet, he discovered that .wav files sound different than iTunes and wanted to bring his PC by for the next session at my place to compare using .wav files instead of iTunes.

Actually, I've got everything working correctly at this point.  I do prefer the Flac (or .wav) files played over Foobar over apple lossless (or .wav) played over iTunes on the same PC, but  I keep reading that iTunes does NOT bypass the dreaded Windows K-mixer when used with a PC.

Presumably, iTunes would then sound better on a Mac than a PC b/c of this handicap.  

Anyway, I'm thinking of bringing my Audio PC to our next listening session for some after-hours comparisons with my Lynx card to see if I need an external DAC or not..  Mad Dog, do you still have your Dodson DAC?  Or does UDP have digital in?