EA S7700 basic mod package + Jensen Caps

PhilNYC

« on: 6 Aug 2004, 11:28 pm »
Steve,

Received my S7700 from you earlier this week.  Wanted to thank you first for a quick turnaround.  Also thought I'd write up some details on my experience with it so far.

As mentioned above, I got the basic mod package with Jensen caps; I am using this S7700 as a transport with a Dodson DA-218 DAC.  The DA-218 uses both upsampling and oversampling techniques, and re-clocks the digital signal just prior to feeding the DAC chipset (Burr-Brown 1704 "K"-series) via a FIFO buffer.  Because of the re-clocking and the details of the buffer design, I thought that perhaps getting the Superclock2 and even the Turbomod would be overkill for my needs.  As we've discussed before, theoretically the Superclock2 shouldn't have much of an effect in this setup because of the re-clocking.  I fully acknowledge that "theoretically" often goes out the window in a lot of high end setups, but I also figured that I can always send it back for more mods if needed.

Anyways, I received the modded unit on Tuesday, and I put it in my system (currently consisting of the Dodson DA-218, using an Acoustic Zen 1m Silver Byte cable, a Blue Circle BC3 Galatea mkII preamp, BC28 hybrid stereo amp, and Focus Audio FS888 speakers).  Compared to the stock unit (one of which I still have and keep as a spare/backup), differences were immediately noticeable...but clearly not broken in.  The modded unit immediately produced transients with much better speed, and low-frequency extension appeared improved.  However, there also appeared to be some "chestiness" in vocals and a somewhat closed in sound on solo instruments.  Compared to the stock unit, there were some things that were better, others that were worse, overall a difference (but not necessarily an improvement).

Not to worry...

Steve told me that it would take about a week before the Jensen caps would be broken in.  Being anxious, I left the player running on "repeat" with my favorite Bela Fleck CD (Greatest Hits of the 20th Century) overnight for a few days straight, only giving it a break Wednesday evening during a lightning storm when I turned off all my gear.  By Thursday afternoon, I found all the issues to disappear...no more chestiness or boxiness; instead I was getting a sound wth clarity, dynamics, and overall presentation that I hadn't experienced in my room/system before (when Zybar had originally brought his EA S7700 over, we were using a lesser-preamp, and although we had the more powerful BC206 in there, I recently replaced the Sovtek 6922 tubes in the BC28 with Electro-Harmonix 6922EH in my BC28 to better effect).  I want to emphasize CLARITY, because that's really what I'm noticing the most...not that I wasn't getting decent sound before, but the EA S7700 has just lifted an amazing amount of haze that I didn't even know I had.  The other thing that I'm noticing is that the system imaging and soundstaging holds together much better at low volumes than it did with the stock unit.  In some demo situations, my worries about getting the best performance when showing my system usually had me turning the volume up a bit...I no longer feel that need.  And this was only after 2-3 days of breaking in.  I'm salivating at the idea that this will get even better as we get through the week!

I'm thoroughly impressed with the overall performance of the Empirical Audio modded S7700.  It does make me wonder what I'd be writing here had I gone ahead and gotten the Turbomod and/or Superclock2.  Perhaps one day I'll be able to compare them in my system and see if they make a substantial difference given the technical design of my DA-218.  But at the moment, I am one happy audiophile-camper!  Thanks, Steve!

Phil

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2004, 11:36 pm »
Nice post Phil.

You can compare your S7700 with Chris' to see how much of a difference the Turbomod and Superclock 2 make.

Just need to wait for Chris' unit to break in before doing the comparison.

George

PhilNYC

« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2004, 12:32 am »
George,

Yep, I'm looking forward to doing the comparison with Chris' full-blown turbomodded/superclock2'd S7700.  You will have to be present when we do it!

I'm also curious to experiment with cable lengths.  With the stock unit, I was using the 1m AZ Silver Byte; knowing that a 1.5m length could make a difference, I'd like to see what the stock unit sounds like using a 1.5m cable compared to what I'm now getting with the modded unit + 1m cable.  

Maybe when I get the Dodson DAC-263 (I'm told it will be imminent!) and Levi gets his NS999ES back from Modwright, we can do another big shootout...

Sa-dono

Re: EA S7700 basic mod package + Jensen Caps
« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2004, 03:34 am »
Quote from: PhilNYC
I put it in my system (currently consisting of the Dodson DA-218, using an Acoustic Zen 1m Silver Byte cable, a Blue Circle BC3 Galatea mkII preamp,

Glad to hear the modded 7700 is working out for you, Phil! :) Is there any reason you're using the Silver Byte, rather than the MC²?

PhilNYC

Re: EA S7700 basic mod package + Jensen Caps
« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2004, 04:08 am »
Quote from: Sa-dono

Glad to hear the modded 7700 is working out for you, Phil! :) Is there any reason you're using the Silver Byte, rather than the MC²?

The Silver Byte is a true 75ohm cable, whereas the MC^2 is 110ohms meant for a balanced signal; since I'm using the 75ohm RCA-digital input on the DA-218 and EA's mod ensures that the SP/DIF output on the S7700 is true 75ohm, the Silver Byte made the most sense.  If I was using the AES/EBU XLR-input, then it would make sense to use the MC^2...but that input is an option (not standard) on the DA-218, so I stuck with the Silver Byte.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2004, 08:08 am »
Quote from: PhilNYC
It does make me wonder what I'd be writing here had I gone ahead and gotten the Turbomod and/or Superclock2. Perhaps one day I'll be able to compare them in my system and see if they make a substantial difference given the technical design of my DA-218.
No problem Phil ! Whenever you would like to give the EA Turbo Modded/SuperClock2  7700 a try , just let me know. You will hear it today at the Rave. See you there !  ....Loanwolf  :dance:

The Killer Piglet

• http://www.next-technology.com/
« Reply #6 on: 10 Aug 2004, 04:10 am »
Phil, that was an interesting post.

I have the MC2 and Silver Photon digital cables.

I have been using the MC2 between a Sony 7700 modded by Steve going to an Audio Note 3.1x Balanced DAC.
I had previously preferred the MC2 to the SP but had not tried it since the mods to the 7700.

After reading your posts, I tried it. I will have to go back and forth a few times over the next few days, but my first impressions were surprising.

The SP seemed to lose some bass against the MC2, but the highs had more sparkle (in the good sense, not "bright") and the overall sound was more "there."

How would you compare the MC2 to the Silver Byte?

Also, as I see you are an AZ dealer: I see the pics on the AZ site and the Silver Photon looks nothing like  the one I have. The one I have looks like a scaled down MC2.

KP

PhilNYC

« Reply #7 on: 10 Aug 2004, 01:50 pm »
KP..

Honestly, I've never done a head-to-head comparison between the MC^2 and the Silver Byte, primarily because of the whole 75ohm/110ohm thing.  But your comment regarding your experience with the Silver Photon and MC^2 is pretty indicative of the improvements I've generally seen in finding more compatible digital cables...the "better" fit tends to remove some haze and results in better clarity and sparkle.  "less bass" is often followed up by "tighter" or "more accurate bass".  

I'll definitely be curious to see what you think after some extended time with the Silver Photon.  I think that the current SP is a mkII (a lot of the AZ stuff went to mkII last year), but I don't know what changes were made....

The Killer Piglet

« Reply #8 on: 15 Aug 2004, 04:43 am »
I've been meaning to post: I found the missing bass... I knocked out one of the cables going to the bass module on the right speaker while I was changing the cables...

PhilNYC

« Reply #9 on: 15 Aug 2004, 01:04 pm »
Quote from: The Killer Piglet
I've been meaning to post: I found the missing bass... I knocked out one of the cables going to the bass module on the right speaker while I was changing the cables...

:rotflmao:

So what's your final verdict between the two cables?

The Killer Piglet

« Reply #10 on: 15 Aug 2004, 11:38 pm »
My fist impressions still appy. I kept the SIlver Photon in.

Oh, btw, my error; the DVDP in question is a 7000 not 7700.

KP