The SSR is Already a Six Year Old Design

cstory

• Seaching for clues
Re: The SSR is Already a Six Year Old Design
« Reply #20 on: 9 Apr 2012, 12:58 pm »
Daniel,

Well, there is DirectTV as part of the system, but there is also a PS3, Sony DVD/SACD player and Squeezebox going digitally into a Marantz SR5004 receiver. Music is played more than the TV is on, and the Squeezebox is the main source. I play Pandora once in a while, and we stream Classic FM (London) quite a bit. As with most speakers and systems, the better the source, the better the sound. The Grandeurs will make the streamed content sound as good as it can, but when you play uncompressed files, you can definitely hear the improvement.

Chuck

daniel_ronquillo

« Reply #21 on: 10 Apr 2012, 07:54 am »
Thanks again, Chuck.

I'm really saving up for the Grandeurs, even though I think that they may be overkill for the kind of music source I'm listening to (mostly Pandora). This will also force me to upgrade my amplification.

I know, this passion for sound is going to be an endless journey.

navin

« Reply #22 on: 11 Apr 2012, 09:27 am »
Well, there is DirectTV as part of the system, but there is also a PS3, Sony DVD/SACD player and Squeezebox going digitally into a Marantz SR5004 receiver.

Chuck, do you drive he Grandeurs directly from the SR5004?

cstory

• Seaching for clues
« Reply #23 on: 11 Apr 2012, 06:19 pm »
Chuck, do you drive he Grandeurs directly from the SR5004?

Yeah, I am just using it only for stereo so in that mode the SR5004 has more than enough power to play as loud (or louder) than I can tolerate. Then again, this living room system is mostly about background music for us. I needed something that was relatively easy to switch sources and not cluttered. The SR5004 takes the digital signals from all the sources and passes HDMI to the TV, so it's perfect for that application. Just about anyone can choose the correct source and there is only one volume control.

Even though it is mostly for background listening occasionally when the wife goes out I do try and exercise the speakers for a bit. Last night I did crank up Thick as a Brick (at least cranked for me) and it sounded great.  8)

Chuck

saeyedoc

« Reply #24 on: 21 Apr 2012, 06:40 pm »
How about Grandeur vs Verita? Looks like the assembled price is the same. 7" Revelator vs Illuminator, any real difference in sound?

saeyedoc

« Reply #25 on: 21 Apr 2012, 06:42 pm »
dup post, deleted

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #26 on: 21 Apr 2012, 07:39 pm »
How about Grandeur vs Verita? Looks like the assembled price is the same. 7" Revelator vs Illuminator, any real difference in sound?

The main difference is that the Illuminator is more dynamic and if you like it loud it's the better choice. The Grandeur is also a little more forgiving; however, I do have a paper cone version of the Verita as well.

Cacophonix

« Reply #27 on: 26 Apr 2012, 09:36 pm »
I just completed building a sealed cabinet for the SSR. I had these a few years back, and now are mine again  :thumb: Design may be a few years old, but they still sure sound good!