A call to my customers in the SF Bay area.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: A call to my customers in the SF Bay area.
« Reply #40 on: 24 Jul 2010, 03:18 pm »
I do not know the XO component values. 

Did see the picture of the XO that it has two caps, one inductor and one power resistor that are visible.  The resistor looks to be a 12 ohm/5watt sand cast unit.

If anyone knows the values for the caps and inductor then the cost could be estimated.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #41 on: 24 Jul 2010, 04:14 pm »
If you want.... you can send the pair up to our speaker contest in late August.    All the listening is done blind by a panel of judges which includes a recording engineer, and several life-long audiophiles.   This testing setup has been used many times and the speakers are level matched etc...ect....    We also can measure the two samples to confirm the FR is the same.    You only need an on-axis measurement because you cannot change the off-axis behavior selectively with the network.   

The set-up isn't good enough for research but it does consistently produce good results.    Every year the speakers that measure the best win so there is very good correlation between the measurements and listener preference.   

Danny Richie

« Reply #42 on: 24 Jul 2010, 06:06 pm »
If your "upgraded" parts measurably change the frequency response then the test is no longer valid.  It needs to be controlled for any sort of validity.  Otherwise we could just add an EQ and see which way we like it. 

You need to read and view the measured data here on minor changes in frequency response.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=11132.0

Minor changes in frequency response do NOT account for large scale changes in resolution, detail levels, imaging, noise floor, space between the notes, etc.

I think we definitely need a controlled double blind setup with a remote ABX switcher, some screen material to block the visibility of each speaker and ideally a rotating table which would place each speaker in the exact same position as the other when active.

First of all, you can't use 1 pair of speakers with two crossovers and a switch box between them unless the crossovers are first order.

Secondly, the speakers are the same speakers. They look alike! So no need to try to hide them.

Thirdly, you don't have to get real exact and technical if the differences are clear and identifiable in the first few seconds.

Here is how this has gone for me the past.

I set up an A/B comparison and have people all set to listen and write down the differences and what they hear and get everybody all set.... Then it becomes so night and day that no one wants to participate for more than 5 minutes. It gets to the point of it being like asking someone to pick which is Red and which is Blue. After one time through they look at you like you think they are stupid. You can't get people to do that for an hour.

Even having different speakers would make the test invalid.

Not true.

The music has to be very well known to the listener in order for it to be irrelevant. or there would have to be sounds or signals that would be neutral enough. 

-The above comes from having gone to someone elses highly tuned system in an entirely new environment and trying to compare a dac. To a couple people familiar with that system, differences were immediately obvious that were difficult for me to pick up on. I think part of it was that I felt there was a bit of an expectaion for me to hear these distinctions, which was a distraction from the mental process required. After that experience I had occassion to compare a new cd player to a dac in my home and I had to go back and forth several times with a very small short piece of materials to try and tease out the nuances. But I was able to do it.  Of course this kind of evaluation may be easier for other folks to do than myself.  I do think there is some practice needed to learn how to retain a mental state to "listen for" things.  This test may not really be as productive as it is hoped by some.
The speaker is the most critical component and I could imaine that the differences could be a lot more noticible than my experience in trying to differentiate one high quality digital source component from another, though.

There is a lot of truth to all of that. This is how double Blind ABX testing can be done to skew the results to one direction.

Case in point.

There was a get together one day over at Art's.

At one point I had everyone participate in some comparative listening. I had a DAC-60 set up in the system with a switch on the back that toggled between to sets of output coupling caps. One set was Axon poly caps, and the other was Sonicaps. Values were all matched.

Here is the wrench that always gets thrown into these things though, just like TRADERXFAN said:

Unfamiliar room, system, music, etc.

So we play a song all the way through, then switch and play it all the way through again. To no surprise, no one could say much one way or another. But a few people thought that they could hear some differences but would need to do it again to be sure.

That is the wrong way to conduct a comparative because it relies to much on memory retention.

So we confirm the obvious...

Then we really start to listen.

I play a small segment of a simple intro several times through. Everyone listens to it and learns how it sounds. Subtle details are memorized, etc. Then we switch. Right away differences are very apparent. EVERYBODY can tell. We go through it again and confirm. Not only is there a difference, but all agree that the difference is better in one verses the other. They discuss what they hear and agree on the differences.

We change to a difference piece of music and repeat with the same results.

Then we do it again with a different piece of music and now people are picking up on the signature of each one. One has a cleaner sound with more distinct space between the notes, less smearing, better resolution levels, etc. Everyone picks the two right away and most can pick which one it is without even hearing the other one.

Now that they have learned what to listen for you can't fool the group. I can play a short intro of anything and they can tell me which caps we are using without even hearing the other one, and in just a few seconds.

I got the same results at home with just me an other listener.

It is all in how you conduct the test.

Kevin,

If we can get this to happen I will be glad to send it up to you as well. We are going to have to do this with two sets of speakers and I need to use Dan's speakers, or his friends speakers as the second pair. So we will have to make sure he doesn't mind sending some as well.

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #43 on: 24 Jul 2010, 06:33 pm »
Danny, these 2 lines on the graph sound significantly different:

Indeed, 2 identical looking speakers need not be hidden from view.

I don't see why you can't build 2 crossovers and switch between them.  It's the only valid test.  I'd have to think about what type of switch, maybe a DPDT off the top of my head.

Oh, and no doubt unfamiliar environments make thing more difficult.  A large difference should still be clearly audible in your own words.

Dan

Danny Richie

« Reply #44 on: 24 Jul 2010, 07:23 pm »
Danny, these 2 lines on the graph sound significantly different:

It should! One is almost a db louder from end to end.

I don't see why you can't build 2 crossovers and switch between them.  It's the only valid test.

No offense Dan, but if you understood crossovers then you'd know that the components in shunt would be additional components in the signal path even if you switched to the other crossover.

You'd have to put a switch on each driver and on the input of each crossover. 6 in all. Plus all those switches will degrade the signal and that is never a good idea.

And again the use of a single pair of speakers is NOT the only valid test. An identical pair will be fine. They will be as closely matched as any two speakers out of the box, with slight variations in drivers and components. But those variations are minor in comparison the differences in crossover quality.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #45 on: 24 Jul 2010, 07:27 pm »
The problem with switching between two XO's will be that you want to remove the components from both the speaker drivers and amp at the same time.  This keeps from loading either the amp or XO with a reactive load.

This would mean that you want to bring out both the woofer and tweeter leads externally to switch both inputs and outputs simultaneously.  This will keep the unused components from changing the response of the one in use if they are still present.

It will take eight DPDT switches to accomplish that easily for a pair of speakers. 

In thinking about this further, you take four two way speaker switches to do the change.  Two before XO's and two before the speaker drivers.  Makes switching a bit tricky, but makes sure only one XO is in line with the speaker driver or amp at a time.

Dang wrote all that at the same time as Danny. ;-)

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #46 on: 24 Jul 2010, 07:38 pm »
Build the crossovers external to the box.   Put a pair of binding post on each box.... one woofer one tweeter.

Use a binding post on the external crossover and a wire with either a banana, spade or just tinned bare wire on each set of crossovers..... both ends.   The side that hooks to the amp and the side that hooks to the transducers.

It takes all of about 30 seconds to switch between networks.    This is what I've always done when comparing passive networks for voicing loudspeakers.    That way you don't have to pull them off the stands and you don't have different drivers in the mix.   

The tolerances on the transducers are most likely going to be much bigger than the tolerance from the components.   You get some natural variation on any assembly line so it is a valid concern in eliminating differences for the purpose of a valid test.   

Danny Richie

« Reply #47 on: 24 Jul 2010, 07:49 pm »
The tolerances on the transducers are most likely going to be much bigger than the tolerance from the components.   You get some natural variation on any assembly line so it is a valid concern in eliminating differences for the purpose of a valid test.

Again, minor variations in amplitude in a small area will not explain differences is resolution, detail, space between notes, reduced smearing, better imaging, etc.

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #48 on: 24 Jul 2010, 07:51 pm »
So install the switches--see I told you it could be done. :green:  I mentioned I didn't take any time to think it out and it would take me time.  This is not my profession--it is yours and you should have known this w/o thinking.(I'm just joking there b/c I'm sure you did)  I just knew it was absurd to say it couldn't be done.  I don't see why it would take more than three per speaker.  Maybe there's something I'm overlooking?

The absolute level is not real in that graph.  They sound different at any level, matched or not--but I have no real proof. :wink:  You should all just take my word for it. :duh:

Do you see where I'm coming from?  Your claims w/o evidence are no better than anyone's opinion regardless of who or how many believe you.  Look how many people believed David Koresh for example, or the Hale Bopp....  People of high degree.  If you want to prove your claim, or at least have reasonable evidence to support what you say, the test needs to be done in a controlled manner.  To throw out the controls only invalidates the results.  If you are unwilling to use controls, what is then the point?  If you just want my opinion, send the speakers to me after you are done changing the crossover and I'll let you know.  Of course, that means nothing--no different than anyone else's.

Dan

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #49 on: 24 Jul 2010, 07:56 pm »

Again, minor variations in amplitude in a small area will not explain differences is resolution, detail, space between notes, reduced smearing, better imaging, etc.

For the sake of conducting a test though you should eliminate as many complicating variables as possible.   There is no debate about the causes for differences if you use the same box & transducers.   

In essence... you are just adding an extra binding post to the signal path and it is the same binding post for both sets of crossovers so you have eliminated all differences except for the crossover itself.    Assuming you match the components fairly closely... you should get the same transfer function and then the test can be conducted with minimal differences between the two test subjects.   It would be great if we could get this done for the Puget Sound speaker contest because they could be slipped into the testing and it could be conducted completely blind.   The judges wouldn't even need to know that we are conducting this kind of test because they will be listening to a host of other loudspeakers also.   

Also... I'd point out.   Behringer isn't a company I'd support.   If moral choices play any part in your purchasing habits I'd put my money elsewhere.     

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #50 on: 24 Jul 2010, 08:05 pm »
I gotta agree with Kevin about that.  To my defense, when I bought these I was clueless, but I knew they were cheap and measured well and regarded for sounding good.  Even a good friend said so.  They certainly appear to be cheapened rip-offs of Mackie monitors and seeing them in person was a revelation.  Then I looked up Mackie's monitors online and Behringer's new line of monitors looks strikingly like Mackie's new line(their cheaper ones).  It just gets ridiculous.  I feel guilt and remorse for buying these now.

Dan

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #51 on: 24 Jul 2010, 08:12 pm »
Build the crossovers external to the box.   Put a pair of binding post on each box.... one woofer one tweeter.

Use a binding post on the external crossover and a wire with either a banana, spade or just tinned bare wire on each set of crossovers..... both ends.   The side that hooks to the amp and the side that hooks to the transducers.

It takes all of about 30 seconds to switch between networks.    This is what I've always done when comparing passive networks for voicing loudspeakers.    That way you don't have to pull them off the stands and you don't have different drivers in the mix.   

Wouldn't a 30 second switching time be pretty long for auditory memory?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #52 on: 24 Jul 2010, 08:24 pm »
Wouldn't a 30 second switching time be pretty long for auditory memory?

If you are doing a comparative test between two test-tones and asking for differences you would want a short period between samples.    With complex music and the fact that you have multiple different types of music played back by necessity you have a time lapse between samples no matter if we switch them instantly or in 30 seconds.     That is one of the complicating factors in subjective evaluations and complex signals.   Human perception changes with time, mood, relative relaxation etc.. etc...

The test isn't perfect but no subjective test is going to be.   What you look for in the results to try to determine how valid the test is consistency.    If the judges rank the same speakers the same with two different listening samples then that gives you more confidence in the results.    If the judges pick loudspeakers that consistently measure good then that gives us additional confidence that what we measure correlates with sound quality.   Etc.. etc....

All the test will ultimately do is verify if the differences are easy to hear.   We have already determined that the judges do a good job of picking loudspeakers that measure well.    If there are large differences due to crossover components you would think that it could easily be picked up in the same test and if not.... we would have to postulate a reason why.   

emac

« Reply #53 on: 25 Jul 2010, 01:34 am »
I need some volunteers with a good system willing to do some A/B comparisons of speakers.

I have DanTheMan over there that is skeptical about the audible effects of higher quality ("fancy") components. So we need to help him see the light. If there is a good group in that area that would like to participate then that would be great too.

We have a cheap little speaker that might be well engineered. It cost next to nothing. HAL has volunteered to send a pair to me and I'd be willing to upgrade them with some good parts and send them up there to be compared to Dan's stock pair to see what the differences might be.

If there is no one willing in the Bay area then we might have to find a good group in another area that would like to give them a listen and report back the findings.

Anybody up for it?

Oh, and here is the thread that started all of this: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=83233.0

If it helps, I have a pair of X-Omni's that have been Ninja modded but I kept the original XO's connected as well to see what if any differences there are.  And, not surprisingly, the 2 sound different.  The Ninja modded XO is external, so I can add bypass caps relatively easily as well, which again makes a difference in the overall sound (especially w/ Sonicap Platinums).  Had planned on doing a GTG at some point and shown off the effects, but it never materialized (limited number of people responded and I managed to get what was probably the swine flu around that time). 

But, I'd be happy to demonstrate the X-Omni's if anyone is interested.  However, I'm nowhere near San Fran.  I'm close to Ann Arbor. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #54 on: 25 Jul 2010, 02:43 am »
emac,
Good on ya!

I did a comparison with a pair of Danny's X-LS Classics with the Ninja Master XO's as compared to his stock X-LS Encores at a GTG at snocks awhile back.  It was a great time, and I think everyone enjoyed the experience!

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #55 on: 25 Jul 2010, 04:08 am »
Hey hey, check this out.  A paper was submitted and a difference was heard.  Check out the details though.  You'll see what I mean.
http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=5415
the quote about the paper:
There are many threads spread across the WWW debating the significance of capacitor’s abilities to affect the sound quality of a
loudspeaker3. There are hundreds of posts and many thousands of views made by inquisitive visitors who seek information and help with their
decision to simply replace and or upgrade their capacitors. In many cases, arguments boil down to the subjectivists (i.e. the listeners – mostly
believers) vs. the objectivists (the measurers, who are mostly skeptics).  A paper was given at the 124th AES convention (Paper #7314 “Audio
Capacitors. Myth or reality?) that takes up the subject of capacitor evaluation. It was written by a UK researcher from the University of Salford
and two engineers under the employ of ICW Ltd4. (the company that makes Clarity caps). The paper describes in some detail what the
researchers went thru before settling on a rigorous test panel methodology which helped to clearly differentiate between test samples.  Initially,
32 panelists were  able to easily differentiate a NPE cap from film caps but had trouble differentiating between film caps. ICW had developed the
MR series capacitor designed and constructed to reduce resonance effects the researchers found were detrimental to performance. The
improvement was a subtle effect which required a special ‘golden ear’ panel and enhanced listener panel training under ITU‐R BS.1116‐1 test
standard. Eventually, 60‐70% of the 16 final panelists found the MR caps preferred when evaluating clarity and spatial information. 

It's encouraging,

Dan

K Shep

« Reply #56 on: 25 Jul 2010, 04:49 am »
If Danny and Dan each provide a pair of speakers and I don't label either of them, just speaker A and speaker B.  None of my invited guests will know or probably care, which speaker was provided by whom.  They will just choose the speaker that sounds best to there ear. 

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #57 on: 25 Jul 2010, 05:30 am »
Unfortunately Shep, that won't really tell us anything about about the effect of crossover components unless we want to guess.  I personally wouldn't have any interest.  I'd prefer to do a test that removes as many variables as possible so we know if an audible difference is made by a certain variable.

Side by side, there's a difference between the 2 pairs I have.

Dan

K Shep

« Reply #58 on: 25 Jul 2010, 01:00 pm »
Unfortunately Shep, that won't really tell us anything about about the effect of crossover components unless we want to guess.  I personally wouldn't have any interest.  I'd prefer to do a test that removes as many variables as possible so we know if an audible difference is made by a certain variable.

Dan

I apologize...after reading through the thread I now understand, this topic isn't just comparing 2 different book shelf speakers, its more complicated than that.

Danny Richie

« Reply #59 on: 25 Jul 2010, 02:07 pm »

Okay, why is that Dan?

Second question: What is the difference in how they sound?

Third: How much time is on each pair.