searching for musical truth: SP Tech Timepiece 3.0

rydenfan

Re: searching for musical truth: SP Tech Timepiece 3.0
« Reply #80 on: 23 Feb 2009, 04:53 pm »
Ted, DU..  you are talking about amps that cost $100+ per lbs..  and i need to get at least 70 lbs to make up 1 amp right..?  let me do math.. hmm

Lance, I am not exactly following your post  :scratch:

This is the amp both Ted and Jim have:
http://www.spectronav.com/musicianIII.htm

Now that you have an extremely transparent and revealing speaker it is both a gift and a curse. They have the ability to produce beautiful music but they will also reveal absolutely everything upstream of them. Owning a great speaker is only part of the overall equation.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #81 on: 23 Feb 2009, 05:08 pm »
Lance,
Although this one is sold, it is an example of the great deals out there, relatively speaking, in this economy ($3250)
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=63742.0

IronLion

« Reply #82 on: 23 Feb 2009, 05:13 pm »
Lance,
Although this one is sold, it is an example of the great deals out there, relatively speaking, in this economy ($3250)
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=63742.0

Check out this deal- saw this the other day.  DU, if you want that second monoblock, this may be verrry tempting.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1240443788&/Spectron-Musician-Siganture-II

targa

« Reply #83 on: 24 Feb 2009, 03:37 am »
hi good fellows, when i referred to the $100/ lbs i jokingly implied the MSRP ($7K+) of Musician III Mk2... i looked at links in the messages above... the amp looks impressive w/ even more impressive specs... so are the reviews... that explains the demanding price...

i thought that upgrading the speakers was all i needed to do... and true, they were the most significant change of all trials i made in the last two years... but like rydenfan stated they are only part of the equation...

you guys really know this stuff well... impressive! i could have made many fewer mistakes (less trials and errors) by knowing you guys sooner...   

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #84 on: 24 Feb 2009, 04:12 am »

you guys really know this stuff well... impressive! i could have made many fewer mistakes (less trials and errors) by knowing you guys sooner...   

...and spent wayyy too much $$$.   :D

Double Ugly

« Reply #85 on: 24 Feb 2009, 06:17 am »
Check out this deal- saw this the other day.  DU, if you want that second monoblock, this may be verrry tempting.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1240443788&/Spectron-Musician-Siganture-II

That it is, but now is a bad time for me to be looking at amps or much of anything beyond a pair of socks.  Most every dollar I spend these days is related in some fashion to home improvement.

Oh, the joys of buying a "new" home, my cup runneth over (as does my bank account).   :(

Fact is, I may even consider putting my Spectron on the auction block, an amp still in the factory box from the Mk.2 upgrade.  I'll reenter the Spectron sweepstakes ASAP if that comes to pass, but my system has been dismantled for months and right now I have more pressing need for funds than for unemployed amplifiers.

targa

« Reply #86 on: 24 Feb 2009, 05:12 pm »
DU, good time for buying/ upgrading houses..  congrats!

Ted or any one ever used the Alan Mahler power products before?  may want to chat with you on this..  i currently use a Transparent PowerIsolater 4 (PI4) plugged directly in dedicated outlet.  over the weekend, i plugged the PS Audio Ultimate Outlet (UO) into the PI4 and the source into the UO.  this way i separated the power circuits between source and power amp.  did notice a more extended high end and improved soundstage size.  so easy to play around with system components since TP3 just made each change audible and provided excellent feedback of what happening upstream

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #87 on: 24 Feb 2009, 05:26 pm »

That it is, but now is a bad time for me to be looking at amps or much of anything beyond a pair of socks.  Most every dollar I spend these days is related in some fashion to home improvement.

Oh, the joys of buying a "new" home, my cup runneth over (as does my bank account).   :(

Fact is, I may even consider putting my Spectron on the auction block, an amp still in the factory box from the Mk.2 upgrade.  I'll reenter the Spectron sweepstakes ASAP if that comes to pass, but my system has been dismantled for months and right now I have more pressing need for funds than for unemployed amplifiers.

DU, no offense but I think Ironlion was merely reacting to your post a couple days ago when you said
I power my Timepieces with a Spectron Musician III SE Mk2, but I'll either get a second & run them as monoblocks or I may take a long, hard look at a new amp produced by a fellow here on Audio Circle (see here).

Double Ugly

« Reply #88 on: 24 Feb 2009, 05:49 pm »

DU, no offense but I think Ironlion was merely reacting to your post a couple days ago when you said
I power my Timepieces with a Spectron Musician III SE Mk2, but I'll either get a second & run them as monoblocks or I may take a long, hard look at a new amp produced by a fellow here on Audio Circle (see here).

No offense taken (not sure why I would take offense  :scratch:).  As I also stated a couple of days ago, there are a *LOT* of great deals to be had, but that doesn't mean I'm able to take advantage of them at present.

What I stated is still the plan, but plans don't have to be completed this week or next.  The post was and is accurate; it simply won't be realized for quite some time unless I see an sudden influx of funds.

I'd love to have gone monoblock 6-months ago, but since there's zero chance of winning a lottery you don't enter, I was (and am) unable to fund the "plan."

FWIW, I've done most everything I "planned" to do since I entered this hobby, save for the Revelations (they're paid for, but the plan has changed).  This one will likely be realized, too, though as is the case with the Revelations, I reserve the right to change my mind.

EDIT:  This conversation is taking this thread way off-topic.  My apologizes (again), targa.  If anyone else wants to discuss what I do and/or don't plan to do, please contact me via PM.

Thanks.

targa

« Reply #89 on: 28 Feb 2009, 01:46 am »
good fellows, i have been busy and have not been listening critically to the system since last weekend.  however, whenever i got a chance during the week, i sneaked into my audio room (is built on top of the garage) and listened to the TP3 while working on my laptop..  what can i say that have not already been said..  TP3s are amazing and continue to impress me..  listening to music through them is so effortless and natural that i do not know they are in the room.. 

more later..
« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2009, 03:38 am by targa »

targa

« Reply #90 on: 2 Mar 2009, 06:06 pm »
DU, thank you for the PM reply

jimdgoulding, we need to connect..  sorry.  have been swamped..

jimdgoulding

« Reply #91 on: 6 Mar 2009, 05:58 pm »
Lance, you are already an honorary member of The Houston Audio Society and a member wants to hook up your Timepieces to a D-Sonic M1000S.  That's 525W at 8ohms.  Bet he can put a lot of fine stuff in front of that if we do it at his house.  See you Saturday.

targa

« Reply #92 on: 7 Mar 2009, 04:05 am »
Jim, let us talk tomorrow. sounds interesting.

i have been playing around with the room acoustics lately... far from done but the sound improvements are significant.  i will write up the improvements in details after i am done... 

remember i was asking about ATC speakers..?  well that idea is completely out of my mind now..  if i buy another pair of speakers..  that is going to be the SP Tech..  simply amazing..  fellows.  they are - for me - a precision instrument, tool i use to uncover issues or weaknesses of my system and listening environment. best component i ever bought, period!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #93 on: 7 Mar 2009, 02:28 pm »
Targa-  Damn, son, you're a young man.  Probably a number of fellas here have said that one or twice only to learn that life is full of surprises.  Life is more exciting if you're open minded. 

targa

« Reply #94 on: 8 Mar 2009, 03:42 am »
good discussion w/ Jim earlier today.  let us connect next week.  no disagreement with above statement.  my claim is retrospective.. 

have been working on the room acoustics today.  is done for now..  will share some pic.

targa

« Reply #95 on: 9 Mar 2009, 11:47 pm »
good fellows, what cables do you recommend with SP Tech?  i am using anti-cables now but i think that the top-end of roll off a bit with them...  making certain pieces sound a bit dull.  let me know.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #96 on: 10 Mar 2009, 12:49 am »
On my Revelations I have had great luck with:
interconnect:  Soundstring XLR (pre to amp), Synergistic Research Tesla series (RCA)
speaker cable:  I used to use, to great effect, Synergistic Research Tesla Accelerator (IFW biwired version) but was able to grab the Elrod protype remote sense cables (from RMAF) and love them!  I currently use Goertz copper MI-2's from crossovers to speakers, but will be getting Bob's custom cables for that application soon.

On my Continuums I use the Tesla Accelerator biwire for the center and Greg Straley's Reality cables (and his jumpers) for the rears.

targa

« Reply #97 on: 10 Mar 2009, 03:45 am »
many thanks for the recommendations. i will look into them.

i used analysis plus before. my impression was that analysis plus had a better high end but anti-cable was better in imaging..  probably because of better time alignment of some sort.. however, i start to hear their limitations now with the SP Tech..

jimdgoulding

« Reply #98 on: 10 Mar 2009, 03:59 pm »
Lance- Saw Live From Abbey Road on cable with a segment featuring Herbie Hancock.  Wayne Shorter was also on the date.  And guess who else . . Melody (I can't spell her last name but you know).  Damn Sam, she was right as rain!  I mean really GOOD.  Space came thru on the broadcast which I didn't hear to the extent I would like to have had on the CD.  But I'd like another shot at it.  Thanks.  There are a couple of other records that I think you should hear also.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #99 on: 10 Mar 2009, 04:03 pm »
Melody Gardot?