Bruce's SoundScape 12's in rosewood

jsalk

Bruce's SoundScape 12's in rosewood
« on: 8 Aug 2011, 05:21 pm »
Bruce wanted three SoundScape 12's for his home theater...two regular SoundScapes for the left and right mains and one "custom" version for a center channel.

Here are some pics...

And a close-up...

And a close-up of the top section...

Happy listening Bruce!

- Jim

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Bruce's SoundScape 12's in rosewood
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2011, 06:36 pm »
Congrats Bruce, and Welcome to the Salk family. Mighty fine looking set of speaks there, not to mention what I'm sure they will sound like. One of these days I'll get a chance to hear some Soundscapes - Hey Mudslide isn't it about time for you to spring for a pair ?  :D

Once again a stellar job Jim & company.  :thumb:

Brucemck

« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2011, 07:02 pm »
The SoundScape 12's are all they're cracked up to be. 

Mine are pretty typical other than some Dueland caps.

They arrived meticulously crated and packaged. 

The finish quality is outstanding.  These are, by far, the nicest looking speakers I've owned, or even seen.

The sonics are stunning.  By way of reference, I've owned huge Genesis ribbons, a trio of Krell metal LAT beasts, big Dunlavy's, and large custom line arrays.  These better those by a not insignificant margin.

The bass is solid, abundant, and tight.  Prior to these I used a pair of Seaton Submersive subs to augment the low end.  These are the first speakers I've ever owned that didn't need a sub to fill in the low end, even on large scale movie sound effects.  For music and even for movies they lack nothing down deep.

The midrange on up is holographic.  Instruments are placed precisely in space with  nice air and dimensionality.  The dynamics are startling.  Tonally they're spot on.

Nice job Jim.
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2011, 08:52 pm by Brucemck »

fsimms

« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2011, 07:12 pm »
Very nice Bruce! :thumb:

Bob

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2011, 07:15 pm »
Are these the same ones that have Dueland caps?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=93362.0

Brucemck

« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2011, 08:50 pm »
Yes, Dueland caps.  Don't know how much of a difference they made, but given the terrific sonics they sure didn't hurt.

Mudslide

« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2011, 09:50 pm »
Congrats Bruce, and Welcome to the Salk family. Mighty fine looking set of speaks there, not to mention what I'm sure they will sound like. One of these days I'll get a chance to hear some Soundscapes - Hey Mudslide isn't it about time for you to spring for a pair ?  :D

Once again a stellar job Jim & company.  :thumb:

Hey there, AD.  How about a quick loan?! :sad: Quite sadly, retirement and the hobby of audio are sometimes incompatible. 

I LOVE these SS12's.  Congrats, Bruce. :wave: 

Nuance

« Reply #7 on: 9 Aug 2011, 12:47 pm »
Congratulations, Bruce, and welcome to the Salk family.  You now own one of the worlds finest speakers (top three IMO); bet that feels great!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #8 on: 9 Aug 2011, 01:38 pm »
Yes, Dueland caps.  Don't know how much of a difference they made, but given the terrific sonics they sure didn't hurt.

I would say yes. Dueland capacitors are among the smoothest caps I have come across. They sacrifice nothing in regards to transparency, resolution and detail as every last nuance comes through. Would love to hear these speakers.

Congrats Brucs on what I assume to be an outstanding speaker

strat95

« Reply #9 on: 10 Aug 2011, 04:38 am »
The sonics are stunning.  By way of reference, I've owned huge Genesis ribbons, a trio of Krell metal LAT beasts, big Dunlavy's, and large custom line arrays.  These better those by a not insignificant margin.

Hi Bruce,

Just curious, which big Dunlavy's did you own?

Thanks,

Ted

Brucemck

« Reply #10 on: 10 Aug 2011, 11:29 am »
Just curious, which big Dunlavy's did you own?

The SC IV's.  Terrific speakers in their day

Phil A

« Reply #11 on: 10 Aug 2011, 11:56 am »
Georgeous speakers - congrats!

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #12 on: 11 Aug 2011, 10:57 am »
Very Nice looking speakers.

pardales

« Reply #13 on: 11 Aug 2011, 01:56 pm »
Lovely   :thumb:

strat95

« Reply #14 on: 12 Aug 2011, 02:38 am »
The SC IV's.  Terrific speakers in their day

Thanks for the info.  I was wondering more about the SCV vs SC12s.  Congrats on your new SC12s, they look beautiful. :thumb:

Is it just my eyes playing tricks on me?  Does the shape of the base of the SC12 look wider at the top than it used to?  If I recall, the edge used to line up with the midrange/tweeter cabinet whereas now it appears the base is wider by an inch or more on each side.

TV 

Saturn94

« Reply #15 on: 12 Aug 2011, 01:44 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I was wondering more about the SCV vs SC12s.  Congrats on your new SC12s, they look beautiful. :thumb:

Is it just my eyes playing tricks on me?  Does the shape of the base of the SC12 look wider at the top than it used to?  If I recall, the edge used to line up with the midrange/tweeter cabinet whereas now it appears the base is wider by an inch or more on each side.

TV

Perhaps your thinking of the SC10?

jsalk

« Reply #16 on: 12 Aug 2011, 02:03 pm »
The woofer section of the SoundScape 10's is 12" wide, same as the top.  The SoundScape 12 woofer section is 15" wide and is radiused at the top to 12".

- Jim

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #17 on: 12 Aug 2011, 02:50 pm »
I really appreciate your work, good craftsmanship is obvious in your product..

-bladesmith

strat95

« Reply #18 on: 13 Aug 2011, 05:19 am »
Perhaps your thinking of the SC10?

The woofer section of the SoundScape 10's is 12" wide, same as the top.  The SoundScape 12 woofer section is 15" wide and is radiused at the top to 12".

- Jim

Ok, if you look at the picture linked here from the Salk website, doesn't the step between the base and mid modules look to be smaller than the step shown in the pics in this thread?

I know the linked pic is and older version of the SC12 before the mid module was being moulded, and the foam piece appears much thicker than it does now.  I believe the current SC10 and SC12 has the moulded mid module overhanging the foam pad to conceal it better.

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or is there a difference?  It doesn't look like the old version had that big of a step between the bass and mid sections as it appears now.  Has the size of the mid section been changed?

I bring it up because the proportions look better to me in the old picture, less of a step makes the units look to be more like one piece.

Here is a shot from the rear...
http://www.salksound.com/home_htm_files/233.jpg

TV

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #19 on: 13 Aug 2011, 02:46 pm »
IMO

Having a solid color tends to make the speaker look more like its one piece.