Bruce's SoundScape 12's in cocobolo (a somewhat sad tale)

jsalk

Bruce wanted three SoundScape 12's - a pair for the left and right mains and another, special build, for the center channel. This story has a very sad ending, but first here are some pictures...

And a close-up...

And the top...

And here is is center channel with a stand...

Bruce upgraded the caps to include Dueland caps in the crossovers. Alpha core inductors were used throughout along with our standard Mills resistors.  Nothing was left to chance in order to produce the finest SoundScapes ever.

Now for the sad part...

We shipped them and while they were in transit, a water leak totally destroyed Bruce's listening room.  When they were due to arrive, he had no place to put them.  So rather than having them delivered to his home, we re-routed the shipment to a climate-controlled storage facility.  It probably won't be until next fall that Bruce will be able to unpack them.  So these pictures are all he will have until then. Very sad, but true.

Happy listening Bruce...when the time comes!

- Jim 

« Last Edit: 8 Apr 2011, 01:06 am by jsalk »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Bruce's SoundScape 12's in cocobolo
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2011, 09:51 pm »
What do think of the sound with the Dueland caps?

jsalk

Re: Bruce's SoundScape 12's in cocobolo (a somewhat sad tale)
« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2011, 09:53 pm »
What do think of the sound with the Dueland caps?

I thought they sounded outstanding.  But I did not have a 12" pair to A/B them with.  So I can't say, for certain, what impact the Deuland caps had.

- Jim

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2011, 09:56 pm »
I thought they sounded outstanding.  But I did not have a 12" pair to A/B them with.  So I can't say, for certain, what impact the Deuland caps had.

- Jim

OK. all VSF caps?

Meicheng

« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2011, 10:02 pm »
I like this wood finish a lot.  To me it just feels very classy. 

Nuance

« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2011, 10:17 pm »
I am very sorry, Bruce.  My thoughts go out to you and yours.  I pray everything gets resolved quickly.

baumer

« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2011, 10:52 pm »
How 'bout re-routing them to my climate-controlled living room?  :thumb:
I'll even break them in for you and send them right out when you're ready!

Beautiful speakers by the way. And that center channel....oh man!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 7 Apr 2011, 11:36 pm »
It would seem my address should have just rolled off your tongue!

Brucemck

« Reply #8 on: 7 Apr 2011, 11:52 pm »

The shipping crates sure look pretty in storage :)

It's amazing what 2" of clean cold water will do when applied for a couple of hours to hardwoods and carpeting.

After the reconstruction I'll be able to give them a whirl.  Until then, pictures and headphones.

highfilter

« Reply #9 on: 8 Apr 2011, 01:12 am »
Wow, I had dreams of Dueland caps in the SoundScapes for awhile. Those look very nice.  :thumb:

Sorry to hear about the ending, though.

jsalk

« Reply #10 on: 8 Apr 2011, 12:15 pm »
I should point out that Dueland caps were only used in the tweeter sections.  We priced out all Dueland caps for all three speakers and it came to over $17,000 (our cost) for the caps alone.  We thought that was a bit too extreme.  Dueland caps are also very large and the larger value caps in the woofer and midrange sections may not have fit in the cabinets.  We used Sonicaps for the midrange and woofer sections.

- Jim

johzel

« Reply #11 on: 8 Apr 2011, 03:14 pm »
I like this wood finish a lot.  To me it just feels very classy.

Couldn't agree more.  I always love seeing Jim's speaker cabinets . . . but this finish is particularly beautiful to my eyes.  Were I to buy a pair of Salks someday . . . what's cocobolo and how expensive is it?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 8 Apr 2011, 03:39 pm »
I should point out that Dueland caps were only used in the tweeter sections.  We priced out all Dueland caps for all three speakers and it came to over $17,000 (our cost) for the caps alone.  We thought that was a bit too extreme.  Dueland caps are also very large and the larger value caps in the woofer and midrange sections may not have fit in the cabinets.  We used Sonicaps for the midrange and woofer sections.

- Jim

Did you use the VSF or CAST in the tweeter circuit?  I would imagine you used the VSF to save some cost...

Kinger

« Reply #13 on: 9 Apr 2011, 11:46 am »
As sad as that story is (and it is sad), it might have been even more sad had the speakers arrived and THEN the water leak happened.

MichiganMike

« Reply #14 on: 9 Apr 2011, 01:06 pm »
what's cocobolo and how expensive is it?

I agree that the cocobolo veneer is particularly striking with bold contrasts in grain.   Jim references the Certainlywood.com web page in his excellent thread on "Choosing Veneers".  This web page provides photos of veneer samples and useful background information.  When I was selecting a veneer for my Salk speakers, one cocobolo veneer at Certainlywood.com cost about $9.50 per square foot.  This is relatively expensive and typically may add several hundred dollars to the price of a speaker.  My understanding is that total additional cost for veneer will generally vary dependent on the size of the speaker and how much waste there is in matching the veneer in the application.  For comparison, the standard veneers that Jim offers are typically about $2 per square foot at Certainlywood.com.  Jim can give you a more authoritative answer. 

vermont99

« Reply #15 on: 9 Apr 2011, 01:26 pm »
What a bummer sorry to hear about the added delay but there is one bright side those gorgeous SS where not in listening room when the leak happened god was watching over those SS.