diy open baffle idea.

jk@home

diy open baffle idea.
« on: 25 Nov 2009, 12:36 pm »
After the holidays, I'm going to need a project or two, to keep me sane till spring, was thinking about throwing together some budget OB speakers to try in my home office nearfield system.

Right now I'm using the Tekton FE167e BR monitors, sitting on powered subs, and driven by a Bottlehead SEX amp. I'm honestly quite happy with the results, although not done tweaking the digital EQ that acts as the BSC circuit.. I also have a bunch of room treatment panels that still need to be covered and mounted (another project). But I've read so many positive reports on the smaller Fostex FE127e drivers, I've wanted to also give them a try.

I've noticed Tekton offers their "Hybrid OB" plans for sale and a few here have bought or built these speakers. Can anyone give his or her current thoughts on these?

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0809/tekton_design_ob45.htm

Unlike many OB designs, these look as if they are small enough to sit on top of my existing subs, I'm hoping that my SEX amp's 2 watts will drive them, right now I have plenty of "reserve" left using the higher efficiency 167s (I'm only sitting 6' centered from the speakers, and play them at medium to low levels). Plus I have a good 4' behind the speakers to the back wall, so open baffle should work ok here(?)

mcgsxr

Re: diy open baffle idea.
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2009, 01:27 pm »
I cannot comment specifically on the model or driver you reference, as I have never heard either.

I will say 2 things, one might be odd, given the circle!

1 - your room and layout certainly seem conducive to open baffle use and enjoyment, as do your ancillary equipment, assuming we stick with high efficiency drivers.
2 - are you sure you want to change?  Sounds like you are happy with what you have, and I think I read correctly that what you really want is to play around (project, DIY etc) so OB seems attractive.

If I have that right, I would consider hunting down some used high efficiency full rangers (Visaton b200, Hawthorne's, older Phillips, older Radio Shack etc) and just trying it out on OB.  You might hate it right out of the gate, you might find it interesting.

My only advice is - be more committed to finishing your project than I am - I am still using mdf mules 5 years later!!!

jk@home

« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2009, 02:21 pm »
Yes, your second point is correct, for kicks and giggles as one would say. I previously had tried my Magnepan MMGs in this room, but they need major watts and volume to start to gel . Then they would overload the room (though this was before trying any room treatments). I do like that "airy" sound, as long as the effect doesn't go overboard.

As placed, the Tektons image well, with decent depth. Since they are out in the room, even if some of the music "sits in front" of the speakers, it still appears to be part of the sound stage.

My plan would be to cough up the $ for the 4-127 drivers, then throw together the baffle and box, and try out before any finishing work.
And yes I'm really bad about not finishing projects also. :oops:

If there are some other easier/higher efficiency OB projects out there that will also work in a nearfield/ low playback scenario; I'm all ears. I do feel mounting speakers on the subs as I?ve described is the best way to integrate them, so would like to stick with that.

chrisby

« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2009, 08:11 pm »
The hybrid OB design looks clever enough, and a truly shameless DIYer might well be tempted to reverse engineer the details of the rear enclosure's tuning (or devise his own), but if the plans are available at reasonable price, it probably couldn't hurt.

Like Mark, I haven't heard this particular design, but I am quite familiar enough with the FE127E and FE167E in a variety of other enclosure types to offer the opinion that in your nearfield office application the smaller driver could deliver a degree of midrange intimacy and imaging specificity surpassing that of the larger one.

The Bottlehead integrated is notionally close to the power level of my Paramour 2A3, which I find quite satisfactory for single driver FE127E designs in a small (approx 200 sq ft) dungeon basement level listening room. 

The only other well documented DIY OB project of which I'm aware (but alas not yet heard either) is the MJK project.  Not desk top friendly, but by all accounts those who've built them are more than happy.

the ride starts here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/108751-new-mjk-baffle-article.html

jk@home

« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2009, 04:08 pm »
Hey Chris. Maybe I'm mistaken, I thought Dave and you had "cloned" this speaker, to check it out:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=59963.0
He advertises on his blog that the plans are for sale.

Anyway, I was thinking the same that the smaller Fostex might do better in my setup (170 sq. ft. room). I was concerned whether the SEX amp would drive this speaker's 4-ohm load, PJ at Bottlehead set me straight with that.
http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,265.0.html

chrisby

« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2009, 06:53 am »
Hey Chris. Maybe I'm mistaken, I thought Dave and you had "cloned" this speaker, to check it out:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=59963.0
He advertises on his blog that the plans are for sale.

Not a clone, but an authorized DIY build of an earlier version, based on drawings direct from Tekton  - the "open" baffle was considerably smaller, with the rear driver nested closely behind.

They certainly did some interesting things, but after several weeks of listening to them, we found them lacking in some regards, and most particularly, somewhat colored in the midrange compared to any of a number of single driver FE127E designs on hand (i.e. at least 4 at the time) 

This newer version may well have resolved some of those issues.

Frankly, there are so many of our own designs to prototype/tune, and since this is a patent pending commercial product, we are all better served by simply cheering for any vendor enjoying success with Full-Range driver designs.

FWIW, when I ever get around to my next serious OB project, it will likely be a version of the MJK plan - a brilliantly simple design, with all the documentation a math geek could want to support choice of drivers - they will however not be a desktop or small standmounter design. 

Anyway, I was thinking the same that the smaller Fostex might do better in my setup (170 sq. ft. room). I was concerned whether the SEX amp would drive this speaker's 4-ohm load, PJ at Bottlehead set me straight with that.
http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,265.0.html

I'd certainly be inclined to agree the smaller driver could be quite satisfying in your room. It certainly couldn't hurt to try - that's what this hobby is all about

jk@home

« Reply #6 on: 29 Nov 2009, 01:46 pm »
Thanks Chris. Think I will go for it, since I use digital eq (oh the horror! :green:) to tailor the tone I want anyway, hopefully can make things work. If not, it appears that there are plenty of other diy recipes for the FE127es out there.