Omega vs. Hornshoppe ???

Capt. Z

Omega vs. Hornshoppe ???
« on: 22 Sep 2009, 02:50 pm »
Has anyone compared the Hornshoppe to the Omegas side by side?

Feel free you send me your opinion via a message or email, if you do not want to post it on this Omega site.

chrisby

Re: Omega vs. Hornshoppe ???
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2009, 06:17 pm »
Maybe you could be a bit more specific as to models?

Even counting the multiple iterations of Ed's Model 1 /2 &3 there are quite a few more design types and driver sizes in the Omega line up than Hornshoppe  Since Louis changed his driver manufacturer a while back, the basic flavor palette will undoubtedly be different enough that it'd be comparing apples to oranges.

FWIW, it's an old song, but my own experience with a wide variety of single driver, wide-bandwidth systems has informed my opinion that (the degree of ) total system/room synergy can disproportionately weigh any given listening impression - and an initial "bad taste", however ill deserved, is very hard to get over. 

Capt. Z

« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2009, 06:21 pm »
I have the Omega 5 and was thinking about the Hornshoppe Model 1.

chrisby

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2009, 08:27 pm »
Well, that still begs the question as to "which Model 5"?  by my reckoning, there are 3 current models with that number in the name, all with the proprietary HempCone drivers

Of course, it could also be asked of the Hornshoppe's "which driver"? - Ed has used 3 different Fostex models over the years, and some users may not yet have upgraded to the current FE126E.  I think it's fair to say that many listeners would opine that the earlier drivers don't deliver the same level of dynamics, bandwidth, mid-range presence, imaging and soundstage at which the FE126E excels.   

FWIW, and of no particular help in answering your question, over the years I've heard Ed's Horns with at least 3 different drivers (FE108S, stock and modified FE126E), and Louis' Super 3 Bipole (dual FE127E) and Super 6 (FE167E),  but never had the opportunity to directly compare any iteration of one maker to the other.

Capt. Z

« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2009, 08:32 pm »
My Omega 5's must be the newest version, since I just upgraded from my XRS 3 to the XRS 5 status with Louis help.

In regard on Hornshoppe I am refering to the newest version also.

chrisby

« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2009, 05:27 pm »
My Omega 5's must be the newest version, since I just upgraded from my XRS 3 to the XRS 5 status with Louis help.

In regard on Hornshoppe I am refering to the newest version also.

Fair enough,  my intention certainly wasn't to cloud the issue, just to remind all others that both makers have revised their design(s) to greater or lesser degrees over the years.

While I've heard samples of both at different times, I have no experience with direct comparisons of Hornshoppe to Omegas.  FWIW, my personal preference would be for the Omega Super3 Bipole (now updated to the Super5 Bipole).   

Based on what I've heard from them, for either of these designs to deliver their full potential, room size and placement is important - and of course the standard caveats of equipment synergy, personal "taste" etc., always apply .

Les Lammers

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2010, 12:13 am »
Has anyone compared the Hornshoppe to the Omegas side by side?

Feel free you send me your opinion via a message or email, if you do not want to post it on this Omega site.

It really depends on the amp you are going to use.  :scratch:

maxwalrath

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2010, 12:26 am »
It really depends on the amp you are going to use.  :scratch:

It also depends on where the speakers will be placed.  The Horns can be placed out in the room or in the corners but the presentation is very different depending on where you'll use them.

Capt. Z

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2010, 12:38 am »
It also depends on where the speakers will be placed.  The Horns can be placed out in the room or in the corners but the presentation is very different depending on where you'll use them.

Can you elaborate on what the differences are?

jk@home

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2010, 03:44 pm »
Hey Capt. Didn't you go from 3s to 5s? Can you describe what it is you feel you are missing with your setup? What’s your musical taste?

I've followed your posts here and over at the AA, due to the fact that I run a SEX amp driving single driver monitors plus subs, similar (at one time?) to your system.

Seen your posted pics of the listening room, and always wondered if room acoustics weren't part of the problem. Whether you can really do anything about that is another issue.  I used to have all my stuff in the family living room, couldn’t have any treatment in that room, that may be your case also.

Anyway, the best sound I have gotten from my setup is; a: Placement of the speakers made the difference in soundstage and depth. b: Mounting my monitors right on top of the subs as per the Bottlehead SEXy speaker setup gave the best bass intergration (originally had them on Skylan style diy clone stands). And c: I'm using a digital eq to even out the response of the setup. Plus I have diy room treatment panels (Owens Corning 703) that I have tried, but still need to cover and install.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=74046.0

That said, I plan to try my Magnepan MMGs again after I rebuild them this winter and finish the room treatment. Also looking at some diy high efficiency open baffle designs. Sometimes the SD setup is just too two-dimensionally for my taste and music, but I need to get the room panels in there before the final verdict.

Maybe the whole single driver thing isn't for you? I’ve read posts from folks at some of the other forums (AVS comes to mind) where they had gone through brand after brand of (similar) speakers, not really defining what they were after.

nature boy

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2010, 04:24 pm »
    It also depends on where the speakers will be placed.  The Horns can be placed out in the room or in the corners but the presentation is very different depending on where you'll use them.  These speakers can play VERY LOUD.

Can you elaborate on what the differences are?

I'll take a stab at this, since I have a pair of Hornshoppe horns model 1.   These speakers image great, regardless of placement.  They are designed for corner or near corner placement, primarily for bass reinforcement.  The further out from corners you place the speakers the less bass.  I have my speakers about 2' out from corners which sound best to my ears.

It's not a full range speaker by any stretch, but with the right placement these speakers sound mighty fine.  Bass response in my relatively small listening room (13.5' x 15.5' x 7') is very acceptable, but these are not full range speakers.

If you listen to a lot of rock, metal, or orchestral music, a pair of Omega Super 6 or Super 8's might float your boat better.  I have heard some of Louis's offerings, but was several years ago, so I can't offer any direct comparisons.

NB

Capt. Z

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jan 2010, 09:21 pm »
Having (had) the Omegas I had my eyes (ears) opened to a totally different way of listening to music. This x-over-less single driver design has shown me how much a x-over takes away from the music. The intimacy and live likeness is wonderful. A neighbor said: I can hear more of the microphone. And my wife said about my conventional speakers: they sound like a recording.

With the right music the Omegas did sound marvelous, but with other music I found the image of certain instruments sounding small. Like sometimes a snare sounded more like a small can or the image of a music group sounded like a small copy of the real thing. It's hard to put this phenomena into words.

I have been 3 times at Ed Schilling's house to listen to his horns. First I thought that they sounded pretty mid rangy. But on the 3rd time I took my Omegas with me and we briefly listened to them side by side. My Omegas sounded a lot different in his almost square and much larger room than they do in my rectangular room. Actually the Omegas sounded fuller in his room than in mine. The Horns just sounded, BIGGER, fuller, and had a lot more 'meat on their bones' and detail. So at the moment the Omegas have left the house and the Horns are on order.

Really can't and won't do any 'real' room treatment, since my music room is always part of our living space, so it needs to look like a normal room, not like a big boys toy room.

I have tried different placements with the Omega, but it never really 'fixed' the imaging size issue.
Besides that, my ACI Sapphire III, the other speakers in my picture, sound great, no matter where they are placed.

So, let's see how the horns will sound in MY room.
« Last Edit: 1 Apr 2010, 05:18 pm by Capt. Z »

pardales

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2011, 06:28 pm »
How's the Horns work out for you? You know, you can always add a CUBE sub for that extra bass push.

« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2011, 09:04 pm by pardales »

Capt. Z

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jan 2011, 07:05 pm »
I've got the Horns with the newest driver, the Fostex FE126EN.

They really have proven do be great speakers and they fullfill my needs a lot better than the Omegas ever did.

The Omegas go into a toattly differen sonic direction than the Horns. The Omegas seem to bring out the details a lot, due to the tilted up upper extension, but they lack extremly in portraing a music instrument in it's actual size.

The Horns (especially with the newest driver) cover the frequency response from the lower octaves to the higher octaves very well. They sound true to size and have a great goggie factor.

Sometimes I wonder how the other (larger) Omegas sound, but than I tell myself that I really do not need another speaker, besides the Horns.

I have tried using the Horns with my subwoofer, but 98% of the time the subwoofer does not extend the lows by much and is really not needed.

pardales

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jan 2011, 09:04 pm »

They really have proven do be great speakers and they fullfill my needs a lot better than the Omegas ever did.

The Omegas go into a toattly differen sonic direction than the Horns. The Omegas seem to bring out the details a lot, due to the tilted up upper extension, but they lack extremly in portraing a music instrument in it's actual size.

The Horns (especially with the newest driver) cover the frequency response from the lower octaves to the higher octaves very well. They sound true to size and have a great goggie factor.

Sometimes I wonder how the other (larger) Omegas sound, but than I tell myself that I really do not need another speaker, besides the Horns.

I have tried using the Horns with my subwoofer, but 98% of the time the subwoofer does not extend the lows by much and is really not needed.

Excellent. Glad it is working out for you.

KnyazHM

« Reply #15 on: 2 Feb 2011, 11:43 am »
Omega 8 inch (listened only mq8lbomega drivers)  - the most musical full-range drivers. Compared with Fostex FE206E, FE206E-SR, FE208EZ+T90A, Sonido SWR200 Alnico. Very much I wish to listen Super 8 speakers.
I do not trust in a difference between Ferrit and Alnico. It is? How it on hearing?

wushuliu

« Reply #16 on: 2 Feb 2011, 10:38 pm »

I agree I think with your assessment of the Omegas. I listened to them for a few hours at a friend's home nearby. I was very impressed with them, especially anything live or small/ensemble based. But when we tried to listen to some other material like some rock and Philip Glass I brought over I realized that the 'live venue' aspect to the sound never changed. Everything I heard had that effect, so the rock sounded tinny like AM radio and the Philip Glass sounded good but kind of off to my ears. Kind of like if you hit 'Hall' on a receiver or surround processor. However, for jazz and vocals it really sounded like you were in the studio or venue and the person was in front of you at the mic...

Capt. Z

« Reply #17 on: 2 Feb 2011, 10:47 pm »
Do you know which Omega Model it was?

pardales

« Reply #18 on: 2 Feb 2011, 10:48 pm »
I am looking at Omega's new line: Hoyt Bedford, maybe Type 2. But am also looking at Bob Brines offerrings. I play a variety of music but a lot of jazz. I have a big room to fill (36x36) but do not listen loud at all. I like single-drivers! Thoughts?

Capt. Z

« Reply #19 on: 2 Feb 2011, 10:55 pm »
I can only speak for the Omega 3 and 5, since thats what I had. I don't know how the larger driver speaker sound.

I do know that the Horns will be able to fill your room rather well, since it uses the corners to load the room with plenty of sound.

I heard them in Ed Schillings room, which is double the size of my music room. I belive it was somewhere around 24 X 25 ft or so.

Also, he played them plenty loud in his room peaking out at around 115 db