Are you a MAC or PC person?

geowak

Are you a MAC or PC person?
« on: 29 Mar 2015, 05:58 pm »
With all the iT integration and usage in audio, just wanted to know what kind of computer everyone uses?
Apple Mac, PC or company or another way to integrate your audio with computers.
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2015, 10:14 pm by geowak »

JohnR

Re: Are you a MAC or PC person?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2015, 06:13 pm »
I'm a Mac person but I keep wanting to try one of those little Linux/Android boxes as a streamer.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2015, 06:37 pm »
What is Mac?
I have never see a Apple in the life, nor know someone that use it.
Althought I have work w/Unix, the best OS I have see is the OpenVMS from DEC, miles away from any Unix version.
Windows works and inexpensive, Apple is a boutique brand.

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2015, 06:48 pm »
I'm a PC person although I did get OS X to run natively on an AMD processor.

Wayne

MaxCast

« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2015, 06:53 pm »
Both.  Imac and 4 iphones with 2 pc's. 
I don't like the file structure in osx - seems hard to find/organize things.

brother love

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2015, 07:01 pm »
I was a PC person primarily due to Engineering work (Exel, etc.).  Wife was a Mac person early on (school librarian).

In semi-retirement .... Mac Mini as dedicated music server/ HT streaming video ... iMac ... iPad ... iPhones and PC laptop for consulting work.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2015, 08:19 pm »
I'm a Mac user (iMac, MacBook Air, iPhone 4S).  Prefer Apple because it's better made, lighter/smaller, overall have a more elegant/unified design, have much better local service available, and according to most around here works better as an audio server.

To clarify:  I am neither a Mac, nor a PC, but am a "mere" human user (not a computer/IT guru of any sort).  I used PC's at work doing the most basic tasks for nearly 25 years (now semi-retired working from home) and owned them until 2012.  Even switching from a iPhone to an Android was painful.

If Apple appears "haughty" to PC users it's because they have their act more together and people come to them rather than trying to satisfy everyone.  I pity my wife who (with a bad back) still uses a Dell laptop and because she doesn't like the trackpad uses it with mouse and lap desk in the recliner plus due to it's crummy battery design has to plug it in continually.  My MacBook is 1/10th the size/weight (did cost twice as much, but expect it last much longer).
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2015, 11:16 am by JLM »

Bemopti123

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2015, 08:29 pm »
2 mbpros, 2009 and 2011 models.
2 Iphones, 6 and a 6+
1 Ipad mini retina
1 Gaming PC from VelocityMicro that my 9 year old son uses to access Steam games.  Hardly used and noisy. 
Most of my work environment is Windows 7 based but private computers range from MBPros to MBAirs and low end $300 plastic laptops that barely run due to Windows more than anything else. 

I honestly think that any architecture can be useful for anyone but how I keep saying to different people, we tend to love technology and are more than glad to embrace it BUT when it goes South, few understand how something can be retrieved or have the capacity to make it work.  That goes for Mac or Windows people

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2015, 08:33 pm »
Both

MacBook Air
iPad Mini, (2) iPad Air
iPhone 6+, 5S & 5C
Custom Windows 8.1 Workstation at home
HP Windows 7 Laptop for work

geowak

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2015, 10:17 pm »
I'm a Mac user (iMac, MacBook Air, iPhone 4S).  I am neither a Mac, nor a PC.  I am a human.
Good last point, I am a Mac user and myself a human also (haha). Soon to be placed by a robot with an integrated computer.

rpf

« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2015, 10:52 pm »
Mac Mini for audio system. Macbook Pro (15" with retina) for everything else. iPhone 5S.

Guy 13

« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2015, 11:01 pm »
Hi all,
I am a PC guy for everything but the kitchen sink !

Guy 13

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 29 Mar 2015, 11:19 pm »
I guess I'm both to some degree.  My main computer is a PC but the back-up is an old Mac G5 Tower.  I have an iPad Mini for one music server and a cheapo Android Tablet for another.  My old Mac G5 Tower was used at one point as my main computer and it does have Microsoft Office.  My main PC is probably about 4 years old and if I upgrade in a couple of year I'd probably lean more towards a PC at least right now.

Odal3

« Reply #13 on: 29 Mar 2015, 11:20 pm »
I'm a Mac person but I keep wanting to try one of those little Linux/Android boxes as a streamer.

You should - it's fun and the result is good. Not too hard if you follow one of the preconfig installations.

I have been on windows for a very long time until I recently replaced a couple of old PCs with Linux Lubuntu. 10+ year old computer performed like new. As long as you don't want to tweak and tinker with it, you can get it to sound very nice as a source with little to no work or prior skills. But if you want to tweak it to the max by following tutorial and guides you find in audio forums you need some patients and be comfortable using the terminal.

Phil A

« Reply #14 on: 29 Mar 2015, 11:22 pm »
I keep wanting to take my old Windows XP Machine and try Linux.  Except to update the printer software it doesn't go on the web at this point.

mcgsxr

« Reply #15 on: 30 Mar 2015, 12:54 pm »
From an audio perspective I run Windows on my netbook.  My streamer runs Linux.  My remotes are all iOS running iPeng app.

I will in time replace the netbook with a Linux box, but for now it works, and costs me nothing.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #16 on: 30 Mar 2015, 01:59 pm »
For desktop computing, I use Windows 7 most places.

I'm also Red Hat Linux capable and use it at the office.

For mobile devices, the family uses Android, except for one  kid, who has an iphone.

HsvHeelFan

Nick B

« Reply #17 on: 30 Mar 2015, 05:56 pm »
My wife has been Mac for years and I am transitioning. Yes, Mac is boutique, but where else can I get the support for both hardware and software issues? I enjoy dealing with Mac support and appreciate a system that is designed to work together. It does cost more, but I am happy to pay the difference. Apple Care is inexpensive 

jaylevine

« Reply #18 on: 30 Mar 2015, 06:20 pm »
Mac all the way; Macbook Air, Macbook Pro, iMac 21 inch desktop, MacMini music server running Audiovarna, several iPads to control MacMini, and iPhones....

Easy to use, and if you pull out the numbers for the iPhone and Ipads I would argue more economical from a TCO perspective since we have tended to keep our Mac platforms longer with less overall software costs than when we had PCs.

BTW: Was a PC person until but 10 years ago but our then art student daughter insisted we convert and we've been thanking her ever since.....

PSB Guy

« Reply #19 on: 30 Mar 2015, 06:32 pm »
PC for work, Linux for the music server/streamer.

Cornelis