Master Set Speaker Placement

stvnharr

Master Set Speaker Placement
« on: 30 Jan 2009, 06:57 am »
Master Set Overview

What is Master Set:
Master Set is a systematic procedure of setting up speakers that creates a stable music image that is the same from any seat in the listening room and eliminates inter-speaker distortion and the resulting listening fatigue from this distortion. In performing the setup procedure, one also mitigates the bass resonances of the listening room

Master Set is an outgrowth of seminars held by John Hunter, owner of Sumiko Importers, for his dealers in order to better set up the speakers in the Sumiko dealer showrooms. It has remained pretty much an in-house procedure for the Sumiko dealers, with no published information of any kind, other than a few internet forum postings.

Prelude:
After RMAF 2008 I made a longish post in The Lab about Master Set. Since that time I have made some revisions to my initial procedures, and hence am making a new, and shorter, write up. It will be in 2 parts; an overview here, and then the procedural steps on The Lab.

I first heard speakers set up with Master Set at RMAF 2007. I was quite impressed by the sound, which was the same at any seat in the listening room, as well as the clean natural sound of the music, especially vocals.
At RMAF 2008 I revisited Master Set and learned enough information about the procedure to be able to do a DIY of Master Set on my own system in my own listening room.

The Principle:
Master Set is based on the idea of the placement relationship of the two speakers with each other in regards to sound pressure level from each speaker into the listening room. The idea is to “anchor” one speaker on one side of the listening room, and then to match the other speaker’s sound pressure level with that of the “anchor”.

The Results
The music will sound the same from any seat in the listening room, to the right of the right speaker, to the left of the left speaker, in the middle, or anywhere else in the room.
This is not really subjective as it is very easy to hear.
The elimination of “inter-speaker distortion”, I’m using this term for lack of a better one, results in music that will sound quite clean and natural, especially vocals.
This is always a bit subjective, as everyone tends to think their system sounds this way. But with Master Set, all the veils and distortions just seem to disappear. It’s easy to hear. I have heard Master Set in 2 quite different music systems – a very expensive system at RMAF with Rowland Class D amplification and Vienna Acoustics Die Musik speaker, and my own very modest system with a 60 watt Class A/B Aspen Lifeforce amplifier and Osborn Titan Reference speakers – with similar overall results.

What Master Set is NOT:
Master Set is not based on the usual parameters of speaker placement, distance from speaker to listening position or distance from a room boundary; nor is it based on random placement and room correction.
With Master Set, the first parameter above is rendered irrelevant, there is little need for any room treatment at all, though every room and situation is different.

Conclusion:
The best part of Master Set is that it is virtually free. It merely requires a setup song and your time. Even if you do not understand anything I have written, or fail to believe any of it, it will cost you virtually nothing in order to try it. It’s worth a go! And then you can evaluate the results.
Lastly, words simply do not describe the improvement to the sound of a music system from setting up the speakers with Master Set.!!!!!

Now, on to the Steps!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=64321.new#new

2gumby2

Re: Master Set Speaker Placement
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2009, 11:39 am »
I estimate that I saved about $2K in room treatments by using some of the Master Set recommendations. I went to RMAF 2007 planning to purchase room treatments from either Real Traps or GIK and I had the good fortune of meeting Rod from Soundings Hi Fi in Denver. He is a Master Set evangelist and told me to forget everything I've read about speaker set up and try Master Set. I tried some of his suggestions and the difference was HUGE. I no longer felt the need for room treatments. He's not against room treatments, but recommends getting the speakers placed properly first. Master Set is most strongly recommended.

pfradale

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2009, 04:46 pm »
Intriguing...if I can shake this damn cold I will have to give this a try. Thanks for the link.   :beer:

bprice2

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2009, 06:54 pm »
Yes, this is intriguing, but I don't get it.   :scratch:  What is happening here that is different from a normal set-up?  Would this work with dipole speakers that fire front and back?  My guess is no.

stvnharr

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2009, 12:01 am »
Yes, this is intriguing, but I don't get it.   :scratch:  What is happening here that is different from a normal set-up?  Would this work with dipole speakers that fire front and back?  My guess is no.

Hi,
I don't have dipoles, but I currently have speakers with a rear port which is not exactly the same, and they are only a foot out from the rear wall, a supposed no-no.

Rod Tomsen says Master Set works with ANY speaker in ANY room. Given that the cost factor is near zero for trying this out.......

What's happening with Master Set:
In any placement of speakers into a room the music always wants to center itself directly between the two speakers, as that's how the recordings are mastered and made.  Thus, you invisibly partition the room into two parts in any 2 speaker setup. In any room this partitioning creates a subtle, but real, difference in the area of the room that each speaker is trying to pressurize with sound. One part of the room will invariably be slightly larger than the other part, in terms of area. There is also a factor of reflecting surfaces and absorbing surfaces. However no matter what, the larger part of the room will need it's speaker to create slightly more sound pressure than the other speaker, in the smaller part of the room, in order that the two speakers equally pressurize each part of the room at the same time.  You can adjust this by using room gain and having the speaker in the larger part of the room slightly closer to the rear wall in the end set up. Thus it's all about the relationship of the two speakers to each other, and nothing else.

In traditional setups of placing each speaker out from the rear wall the same distance, you have a disparity in the sound pressure level of each speaker into the room unless each part of the room is EXACTLY symmetrically the same, which is not likely at all. Thus one speaker will be putting slightly more sound pressure into the room than the other speaker.  Though you can measure the dbl. level at the speaker, and that will be the same for each speaker, one speaker is filling, sound pressure wise, more area than the other speaker.  The ear-brain mechanism tries to compensate for all this and it comes out as a veiling and unnoticeable distortion, similar but not the same as intermodulation distortion that an amplifier will create. 
Sorry, but that's not a particularly good way of stating things, but it's the best I can do.

As you are doing the Master Set steps, when you set the second speaker you will hear everything come together, as in the veils and distortion disappear, as this speaker comes to equal sound pressure with the "anchor" speaker.

It's hard to explain in words, though it makes perfect sense to me, especially after I have achieved such positive results.
Hope I didn't confuse you.  However, as I wrote, just try it and hear what happens.

Steve

stvnharr

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2009, 04:33 am »
Yes, this is intriguing, but I don't get it.   :scratch:  What is happening here that is different from a normal set-up? 

Hi,
Here's another way to think of Master Set. I have it explained that Master Set is analogous to that of focusing binoculars. This does work as long as you accept the inherent assumptions.
In focusing binoculars there are 3 steps:
1. Adjust the two lenses to your eyes/head so as to get a single image.
2. Focus the fixed lens on the subject.
3. Adjust the adjustable lens to your eye so as to get complete focus.

In Master Set:
1. Initial set up so as to have solid mono image and not have mono image spread out from having speakers too far apart.
2. Set the anchor speaker in a fixed position by finding best bass, mitigating the bass resonance of the room.
3. Adjust the other speaker to the anchor to create a resonateless bass and solid vocal sound.

In Master Set you essentially work with the room effects to get best sound, and can adjust with a small amount of room treatment as necessary afterward.
In traditional setup you randomly set the speakers in the room and then try to overcome the room effects in various ways.  Room treatments work. Digital room correction works. Room treatments and digital room correction is expensive, and room correction only works in a single location.
Master Set is essentially free, and is good anywhere in the listening room.

Hope this helps,
Steve

mrbruce

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2009, 05:32 am »
In response to bprice2:  I first used this approach with Carver AL-IIIs several years ago.  It made a very significant improvement to what I thought was an already good soundstage.  Since it costs nothing but time and is reversible, you should definitely try it.

bprice2

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2009, 03:15 pm »
Thank you, Steve.  I thought you did a very good job of explaining Master Set.  I'm not going to claim that I fully understand, but I do like your comparison to focusing binoculars. 

Since it costs nothing but time and is reversible, you should definitely try it.
Thanks, mrbruce.  When I get a little time I will try it. 

stvnharr

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jan 2009, 09:53 pm »
Thank you, Steve.  I thought you did a very good job of explaining Master Set.  I'm not going to claim that I fully understand, but I do like your comparison to focusing binoculars. 

Since it costs nothing but time and is reversible, you should definitely try it.
Thanks, mrbruce.  When I get a little time I will try it. 

When you do Master Set it would be good of you post your findings here.

Steve

stvnharr

« Reply #9 on: 3 Feb 2009, 10:03 pm »
Here's a little something they may grab someone's attention.

When you listen to music in your present setup, do you have a sweet spot of about 1 or 2 persons wide, and does the music move with you when you move out of the sweet spot?  This is pretty much a yes or no question.

With Master Set, the sweet spot is eliminated, and you can sit anywhere with the same sound, and better sound than before when you had the sweet spot.

stvnharr

« Reply #10 on: 4 Feb 2009, 06:26 am »
Here is something that I did not mention in my procedures that my cause some confusion.

The measurements listed are from wall to back of the speaker.  Move distances are just from one reference point to the another in the move.  The measured distances themselves are irrelevant, however I included them so as to help people make very small movements when trying to find the proper placements.

richidoo

« Reply #11 on: 4 Feb 2009, 07:04 am »
I'm looking forward to trying this. I read about Nathan Loyer's setup method with the string and 70 degree triangle, but I couldn't get it to work. Then I tried Cardas setup method, golden ratio, that did not work for me. Both are relating the speakers to the walls. I recently discovered to my surprise and delight that my speakers sounded better when pushed back into the corners farther than I had them, which was out as far as possible (8ft) to maximize 1st reflection time. I also heard about the Wilson method of listening to one's voice while singing to find the best spot. Wilsons always seem to end up pretty close to the wall, and one session 2 years ago with that Wilson setup remains my peak listening experience to this day. In my listening room, neither the short wall orientation nor the long wall orientation have symmetrical sidewalls. I have tried setup both ways with mixed results, so it will be interesting to see how this works. Thanks a lot for posting your instructions, Steven. I will post my results when I get a chance to try it.
Rich

jimlevitt

« Reply #12 on: 4 Feb 2009, 09:42 am »
How does this setup routine work with dipoles? The Linkwitz Orions I have are supposed to be a minimum of four feet from the wall behind them.  The Master Set instructions you've posted say to move one speaker, while the other stays right at the wall. This might work for standard box speakers, but I can't see it functioning effectively for dipoles.  Any suggestions?

Stu Pitt

« Reply #13 on: 4 Feb 2009, 12:35 pm »
Steve,

Very interesting concept, and thanks for taking the time to share it.  My listening room is a finished attic.  Do you have any experience with a room like that?  Any insight, either theoretical or actual?  Because I can't put the speakers against the wall due to the angle of the roof, should I start as close as I can and work from there?

I'm definitely going to give your set up a try when I get a chance (whenever that may be).

stvnharr

« Reply #14 on: 4 Feb 2009, 08:56 pm »
How does this setup routine work with dipoles? The Linkwitz Orions I have are supposed to be a minimum of four feet from the wall behind them.  The Master Set instructions you've posted say to move one speaker, while the other stays right at the wall. This might work for standard box speakers, but I can't see it functioning effectively for dipoles.  Any suggestions?

Jim,
The speakers against the wall are just for starters in order to do the procedure. This is not a real listening position, just a starting point.
When you move the first speaker out from the wall, as described, you will eventually get to a point where you only hear the speaker that got moved. This is a CRITICAL point, and it should make no difference if the speaker is dipole or standard box speaker.

Steve

stvnharr

« Reply #15 on: 4 Feb 2009, 08:59 pm »
Steve,

Very interesting concept, and thanks for taking the time to share it.  My listening room is a finished attic.  Do you have any experience with a room like that?  Any insight, either theoretical or actual?  Because I can't put the speakers against the wall due to the angle of the roof, should I start as close as I can and work from there?

I'm definitely going to give your set up a try when I get a chance (whenever that may be).

Stu,
Can't say the I have much experience with a finished attic as music room. Just get the speakers as close to the wall as possible to start.  Remember, this is just a starting point, nothing else. 

Steve

Stu Pitt

« Reply #16 on: 5 Feb 2009, 12:32 am »
I figured it was just a starting point.  Thanks.

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
« Reply #17 on: 5 Feb 2009, 01:50 am »
stvnharr thank you for the best explanation yet of what i thought was called the Iron Chef speaker setup. I have a new pair of speakers coming any day and will use your procedure. I used the Iron Chef setup with my current speakers i found the write up at Audio Asylum. I was able to get much better sound than before using IC setup, but not the same good sound all around the room as in the center position. Maybe i need to take more time with my new speakers. thanks again

stvnharr

« Reply #18 on: 5 Feb 2009, 07:54 am »
stvnharr thank you for the best explanation yet of what i thought was called the Iron Chef speaker setup. I have a new pair of speakers coming any day and will use your procedure. I used the Iron Chef setup with my current speakers i found the write up at Audio Asylum. I was able to get much better sound than before using IC setup, but not the same good sound all around the room as in the center position. Maybe i need to take more time with my new speakers. thanks again

Hey Beach,
What I wrote is essentially the same as the Iron Chef.  Iron Chef is just a person's, not from Sumiko, title for the speaker setup.  I've read it and I personally think the way I did it is a lot easier to follow.  I tried to be VERY explicit is what to listen for, as that is the most critical aspect of this speaker setup method. 
Master Set is the REAL DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve 

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
« Reply #19 on: 6 Feb 2009, 04:38 am »
Steve your explanation of the Master Setup has helped me find the proper position of my speakers. I was very close but the right channel was weak. I am now coupled by moving the right speaker back just a few inches, that little move was the missing piece for full range sound in every listening position. Another big thank you for your easy to understand explanation of this must do procedure. Please all dont pass up this setup for the best sound possible from your speakers and system a little bit of time and effort is well worth it.