DIY Master Set Procedure

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: DIY Master Set Procedure
« Reply #20 on: 17 Mar 2009, 05:04 pm »
Kyrill,
I understand; your questions and mine were unrelated.  I was asking for my own edification.

kyrill

« Reply #21 on: 17 Mar 2009, 05:09 pm »
 :icon_lol: i see  :duh:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #22 on: 17 Mar 2009, 05:15 pm »
:icon_lol: i see  :duh:

Hey, no harm, no foul.   :D

Actually, in some ways they were related, cuz i think the nomenclature of calling the front wall of your music listening room "the rear wall" makes for undo questions and confusion...but that's just me.  When we talk about construction, acoustics (back wall or front wall reflections, etc.) or most speaker placement issues I've always seen front and back walls being the terms.  One wouldn't put a video screen on his/her rear wall.

stvnharr

« Reply #23 on: 18 Mar 2009, 07:40 am »
Dumb question: you guys have been calling the wall in front of you, that is behind the backs of the front speakers..."the rear wall"!   :o  What do you then call the wall behind your listening chair?  The back wall?  Is there no "front wall" in your set up?  Why this nomenclature?   :scratch:

Rear Wall in my description is the wall BEHIND the speakers.
I guess I don't have a FRONT wall

Hope this helps.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 18 Mar 2009, 01:01 pm »
Dumb question: you guys have been calling the wall in front of you, that is behind the backs of the front speakers..."the rear wall"!   :o  What do you then call the wall behind your listening chair?  The back wall?  Is there no "front wall" in your set up?  Why this nomenclature?   :scratch:

Rear Wall in my description is the wall BEHIND the speakers.
I guess I don't have a FRONT wall

Hope this helps.

Yes, that is your definition, and has been (consistent is good).  Nope, it doesn't help.   :)

dastrix

« Reply #25 on: 21 Jun 2011, 08:37 pm »
Hi All, first post

IT states that this works best if the speakers are on the long wall? GIven my room is a rectangle, I have a short and long wall. If i place the speakers on the long wall, my listening position is opposite right against the wall. This is bad right?

If its on the short wall, then I can position my listening area so that there is space behind me...

Im assuming the short wall for placement is best?

duguyisheng

« Reply #26 on: 3 Dec 2011, 06:43 am »
One starts with an equilateral triangle to find an approximate listening position. As one moves out from the front wall, a) you can change the  angle of the speaker so it keeps aiming at the listening position b) you can keep the angle the same and move the listening position back or c) you can keep the angle the same and the listening position the same so that the speaker is aiming at a spot behind the listening position. I am not sure which is correct.

duguyisheng

« Reply #27 on: 11 Dec 2011, 05:16 am »
I received a reply from Stvnharr as follows:

Re: Master Set Speaker setup question
« Sent to: duguyisheng on: Yesterday at 12:15 AM »
Quote  Reply  Remove 
Hello,
Go to the link I have pasted here: and try to follow the instructions as best you can.  I think this works a bit better than the instructions that I have posted.

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=speakers&n=215930&highlight=Master+Set&r=

In addition, today, I had an opportunity to see and hear a setup done by Rod Tomson at Soundings in Denver. It is unbelievable to hear the finished product. 

stvnharr

« Reply #28 on: 11 Dec 2011, 06:27 am »
I received a reply from Stvnharr as follows:

Re: Master Set Speaker setup question
« Sent to: duguyisheng on: Yesterday at 12:15 AM »
Quote  Reply  Remove 
Hello,
Go to the link I have pasted here: and try to follow the instructions as best you can.  I think this works a bit better than the instructions that I have posted.

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=speakers&n=215930&highlight=Master+Set&r=

In addition, today, I had an opportunity to see and hear a setup done by Rod Tomson at Soundings in Denver. It is unbelievable to hear the finished product.

Hearing is believing!!