What to do, what to do?

rob80b

What to do, what to do?
« on: 11 Feb 2010, 01:21 am »
Ok guys, mystery time again, (why is it always me.)
Anyway, for those of you who read all the threads you probably recall that I asked if anyone else experienced any random pops or static like discharge sound while listening with the BCD-1 over the last year or so.
Feb., 2009
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=64885.0
and
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76470.0

Some of you had a few ideas but nothing that I could attribute to my own setup.

I eventually got an RMA back in November from Mike who thought it may be the drive but only sent the BCD-1off to Bryston Jan 18th due to the hectic XMAS season and to see if I could pin point the problem, she was returned yesterday, apparently no fault was found and the firmware was upgraded.
Well after using my HHB 830 and Sony Blu Ray players for three weeks I was really happy to have the BCD-1 back in the system, it really is that good.
But ten minutes into the first CD the “THING” reared its ugly head, again, not once but a few times in the course of a few tracks.

So over the course of the year;
I’ve eliminated anything else in the chain as it only happens with my BCD-1.
Dry air is not a factor as it also happens during the muggy days of summer.
All electric devices where unplugged, fridges, clocks etc.
The CD’s are all commercially bought, so no copies.
Replaying the sector of the disc where the pop happened does not repeat the problem.
Checked for fingerprints, dust etc.
So there you have it.
Once again, the intrusion is much like a static discharge and quite upfront not subtle, mostly from the left channel but occasionally on the right. On quiet music it's very unnerving but still very obvious on loud passages.
??????? 

Robert

gerald porzio

Re: What to do, what to do?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2010, 01:28 am »
Exorcism.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2010, 01:34 am »
Ok guys, mystery time again, (why is it always me.)
Anyway, for those of you who read all the threads you probably recall that I asked if anyone else experienced any random pops or static like discharge sound while listening with the BCD-1 over the last year or so.
Feb., 2009
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=64885.0
and
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76470.0

Some of you had a few ideas but nothing that I could attribute to my own setup.

I eventually got an RMA back in November from Mike who thought it may be the drive but only sent the BCD-1off to Bryston Jan 18th due to the hectic XMAS season and to see if I could pin point the problem, she was returned yesterday, apparently no fault was found and the firmware was upgraded.
Well after using my HHB 830 and Sony Blu Ray players for three weeks I was really happy to have the BCD-1 back in the system, it really is that good.
But ten minutes into the first CD the “THING” reared its ugly head, again, not once but a few times in the course of a few tracks.

So over the course of the year;
I’ve eliminated anything else in the chain as it only happens with my BCD-1.
Dry air is not a factor as it also happens during the muggy days of summer.
All electric devices where unplugged, fridges, clocks etc.
The CD’s are all commercially bought, so no copies.
Replaying the sector of the disc where the pop happened does not repeat the problem.
Checked for fingerprints, dust etc.
So there you have it.
Once again, the intrusion is much like a static discharge and quite upfront not subtle, mostly from the left channel but occasionally on the right. On quiet music it's very unnerving but still very obvious on loud passages.
??????? 

Robert

Hi Robert,

Is there a chance you could try it in a second system or a friends system?

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2010, 01:38 am »
Also are you running it balanced or single-ended?
Maybe try it balanced to eliminate ground/rf issues?
Have you tried different cables?

james

rob80b

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2010, 01:41 am »
Hi Robert,

Is there a chance you could try it in a second system or a friends system?

james

Hi James,

I've other systems, but I concluded that it sort of defeats the fact that the BCD-1 is for the main rig.

Robert

1oldguy

« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2010, 01:42 am »
Is it possible if you send it in again to send 1 or 2 of the offending cd's with it?

rob80b

« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2010, 01:44 am »
Also are you running it balanced or single-ended?
Maybe try it balanced to eliminate ground/rf issues?
Have you tried different cables?

james

The BCD-1 has always been set up with the balanced configuration, I did try both balanced inputs to the BP25, also different balnced and single ended cables.

robert

rob80b

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2010, 01:54 am »
Is it possible if you send it in again to send 1 or 2 of the offending cd's with it?

Hi 1oldguy to another,

It's been randomly happening with almost any cd. It may go for a few days maybe for a week without showing up and then happens a few times at one sitting with the same CDs.

Robert

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2010, 01:56 am »
Hi Rob,

Well sir you got me - this is certainly a one of a kind issue. I have 3 units at home in three different systems and never experienced anything like this?

james

1oldguy

« Reply #9 on: 11 Feb 2010, 02:00 am »
Hi Robert,I bought 2 of them and no hitch either.I HOPE things get resolved for you.Knowing Bryston I am sure you will be taken care of.
I just checked out your web site.I am enjoying the music you created.I would  encourage others to check it out.Very unique.

rob80b

« Reply #10 on: 11 Feb 2010, 02:01 am »
Hi Rob,

Well sir you got me - this is certainly a one of a kind issue. I have 3 units at home in three different systems and never experienced anything like this?

james

Nope, neither have I James.

Robert

(well except a hum on a 4BSST, but that was .........)

rob80b

« Reply #11 on: 11 Feb 2010, 02:16 am »
Hi Robert,I bought 2 of them and no hitch either.I HOPE things get resolved for you.Knowing Bryston I am sure you will be taken care of.
I just checked out your web site.I am enjoying the music you created.I would  encourage others to check it out.Very unique.

Thanks

Thought it would be fun to get some of that older stuff out, having over thirty years in electro-acoustic music and recording, the piece for three flutes is very recent and I'm just trying to get back my chops on the flute.
I was playing a double CD of Karen Jones "the Flute album " for the last few days on another player before the BCD-1 came back and was waiting in anticipation as the BCD-1 does an amazing job on dynamics.
Obviously my anticipation was rudely interrupted.
But thanks for the music appreciation as I'm aware a lot of it is difficult  "Modern Music" for the average listener, although a few are quite accessible, I'm also an abstract painter so the two sort of go together.

Robert

werd

« Reply #12 on: 11 Feb 2010, 02:47 am »
Hi Rob

Try using the singled ended connects into the tape monitor input and see what happens. I think it safe to say it isnt the BCD since it's been checked out. It is somewhere else Rob.

rob80b

« Reply #13 on: 11 Feb 2010, 04:02 am »
Hi Rob

Try using the singled ended connects into the tape monitor input and see what happens. I think it safe to say it isnt the BCD since it's been checked out. It is somewhere else Rob.

Hi Guys,

I think I have done all the associated trouble shooting, although I've one more up my sleeve and I'll report back on it in a few days.
Strange things happen, I had the power steering on my Mini acting up for months, brought it in to the mechanic and discovered the pump was failing, the cost of replacement was $1400 from BMW plus install so I ordered a new OEM on line for $545.00.
Well the old pump stopped acting up the day the new one arrived and that was in September, the new one's been in the trunk unopened since then. But of coarse if I was to sell the new one, the old one would probably totally fail that day, go figure.

Robert

Rick Merk

« Reply #14 on: 11 Feb 2010, 04:51 am »
I my 4B to Commercial Electronics Ltd 604-669-5549. In the past year and a half I've been dealing with taking it to be fixed with the same left channel blowing fuses. We narrowed it down to the pre-amp but they can't seem to find out what's wrong. My friend that knows lots about amps told me that an input should never blow the amp. I'm frustrated every time I have to take it in I have to move my 50 inch TV and Big speaker, then do the same to hook it up again its about a one hour process.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 11 Feb 2010, 12:22 pm »
I my 4B to Commercial Electronics Ltd 604-669-5549. In the past year and a half I've been dealing with taking it to be fixed with the same left channel blowing fuses. We narrowed it down to the pre-amp but they can't seem to find out what's wrong. My friend that knows lots about amps told me that an input should never blow the amp. I'm frustrated every time I have to take it in I have to move my 50 inch TV and Big speaker, then do the same to hook it up again its about a one hour process.

Hi Rick,

It should come back to B ryston rather than having Commercial try to fix it.  i do not know about the comment regarding an input satge should 'never' blow but I will ask engineering.
What vintage is the 4B?

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 11 Feb 2010, 03:07 pm »
Hi Rick,

It should come back to B ryston rather than having Commercial try to fix it.  i do not know about the comment regarding an input satge should 'never' blow but I will ask engineering.
What vintage is the 4B?

james

Hi Rick,

From Engineering:

If the preamp is oscillating at a high enough frequency and a high enough level, the amp will pop fuses due to RF current. That's one possible explanation. If that's the case, there's not much we can do.  The preamp obviously would need looking at if so.

cwr

Mad Mr H

« Reply #17 on: 11 Feb 2010, 06:03 pm »
RE : BCD-1

If I assume

• The BCD-1 is 'perfect'
  • No other equipment causes clicks
  • You use balanced connects

Then from that info it is possible that the pre amp input, or cable can be the issue.

Try unbalanced from the BDC-1 into CD / Tape in / Aux. - Report back.

Do you have electrostatic speakers ?

What preamp?

Side notes......a poor cd might jump as the data cant be followed, but not usually heard as a static click.

The clicking you describe does sound like a capacitor discharge and is usually amp related.............

BUT could be in any (usually) local equipment.

PPS - Yesterday two of us were on site looking onto random what sounded like mains bourne noise through a system. It turned out to be ONE mains plug that did not connect with the wall socket very well........ So you need to think that it could be anything and be open minded when looking for the cause.

Just because is only happens when playing a CD does not mean it is CD related.....

The hardest job is to try and work out what it might be without being there......

Check plugs are in firm, check mains wires are tight in the plugs, then check again.

rob80b

« Reply #18 on: 13 Feb 2010, 01:39 pm »
Hi Guys,

I think I have done all the associated trouble shooting, although I've one more up my sleeve and I'll report back on it in a few days.
Robert
Well I was hoping, really hoping that the culprit might have been a hair or something (missed) floating around the laser assembly on the transport, and I wasn’t too sure if service actual opened the BCD-1 (although I should assume they did), but anyway I popped the lid and took a peak in side. A few specks of lint around the transport but basically clean as a whistle, but gave her a once over with some compressed air anyway.
Sat down to listen to some new CDs (some nice long meditative works by Klaus Schulze "Kontiniuum") and, smooth sailing for about the first 15-20 minutes and then TICK.
Ok, so is it the BCD-1, or the 4B or BP25 because as someone mentioned it sort of sounds like a capacitor discharge or something but although I'm fairly technical I'm not a technician. The annoying tick was never heard playing DVDs or Blu Rays or LP’s (which of course has lots of ticks but not the same), also I had my HHB 830 playing second fiddle for the BCD-1 for three weeks while it was away and the tick never showed up. 
I’ve left a message with Mike but I’d really hate to give up the BCD-1 for a couple more weeks in service.

Robert

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 13 Feb 2010, 01:43 pm »
Well I was hoping, really hoping that the culprit might have been a hair or something (missed) floating around the laser assembly on the transport, and I wasn’t too sure if service actual opened the BCD-1 (although I should assume they did), but anyway I popped the lid and took a peak in side. A few specks of lint around the transport but basically clean as a whistle, but gave her a once over with some compressed air anyway.
Sat down to listen to some new CDs (some nice long meditative works by Klaus Schulze "Kontiniuum") and, smooth sailing for about the first 15-20 minutes and then TICK.
Ok, so is it the BCD-1, or the 4B or BP25 beacuse as someone mentioned it sort of sounds like a capacitor discharge or something but although I'm fairly technical I'm not a technocian. The annoying tick was never heard playing DVDs or Blu Rays or LP’s (which of course has lots of ticks but not the same), also I had my HHB 830 playing second fiddle for the BCD-1 for three weeks while it was away and the tick never showed up. 
I’ve left a message with Mike but I’d really hate to give up the BCD-1 for a couple more weeks in service.

Robert

Hi Robert,

Why don't I drop off one of my CD Players to you and lets see if it has similar problems?

james