Bryston BCD-1 annoying tick.

rob80b

Bryston BCD-1 annoying tick.
« on: 18 Jan 2010, 04:32 pm »
Thought I’d post my concern one more time before shipping my BCD-1 off to Bryston.
I’ve been experiencing an intermittent loud tick, which sounds very similar to a stylus encountering dust or defect on a vinyl record or a static discharge, sometimes it’s random other times repeatable by replaying that section of music which I would assume eliminates something in the electrical line or static as it also occurs in the humid days of summer.
Is this the sound, which is emitted during error correction, because it’s extremely annoying, it really is starting to drive me crazy as it popped up at least a dozen times over the weekend on various discs.

Problem is it may not surface for days and then its back, so I’m not too sure how service will trouble shoot it.
Question is has anyone else experienced this annoying loud tick?

werd

Re: Bryston BCD-1 annoying tick.
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2010, 04:34 pm »
Think it might be dust in the pre. vol Rob? Sounds more like a pre thing. I dont know....  :scratch:

rob80b

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2010, 04:49 pm »
Definitly the BCD-1.

Robert

werd

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2010, 04:50 pm »
get it fixed then. that would annoy the sh@# out of me..

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2010, 05:22 pm »
Think it might be dust in the pre. vol Rob? Sounds more like a pre thing. I dont know....  :scratch:
In 1986/87 I have a problem in a preamp just like it. It happen only after the preamp was warmup(about 30 mins of music) and only driving my low SPL(88dB) loudspeaker.
The symptom was a loud tick that swing with the music(treble), the the part defected was a diode in the preamp circuit board.

With the regular SPL(92/94dB) small speaker of the repair man the tick does not happen.

rob80b

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2010, 05:33 pm »
get it fixed then. that would annoy the sh@# out of me..

I've had an RA from Bryston since November but as shop owner I've had no time over the XMAS period, just making sure it's not a normal occurrence and end up with the same problem on its return.
Ok,  so before I chuck her out the window off she goes to service, I've a few other players and vinyl to tide me over but I'll miss the BCD-1.

Robert

smargo

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2010, 06:27 pm »

Problem is it may not surface for days and then its back, so I’m not too sure how service will trouble shoot it.
Question is has anyone else experienced this annoying loud tick?

not trying to be smart - but i experience the same tick - but its always a cd that needs cleaning - once i clean it - the ticking goes away

Mag

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan 2010, 06:40 pm »
I found that using DB power amp conversion caused ticks on cd-r. Are you using DB with all these cd's?

rob80b

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jan 2010, 06:45 pm »
not trying to be smart - but i experience the same tick - but its always a cd that needs cleaning - once i clean it - the ticking goes away

Hi Smargo

I understand it's a problem while reading the disc, but it's happening way too often and very annoying ,  I've also encountered some other problems and oddities so hopefully Bryston can sort those out too.

It's most likely a problem with the drive mechanism so hopefully they can sort it out fairly quickly.

Robert

rob80b

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jan 2010, 06:47 pm »
I found that using DB power amp conversion caused ticks on cd-r. Are you using DB with all these cd's?

DB power amp conversion?

Mag

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jan 2010, 06:56 pm »
Are you converting codec files to wave then transferring to cd-r?

rob80b

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jan 2010, 07:33 pm »
Are you converting codec files to wave then transferring to cd-r?

Hi Mag

These are all commercially bought discs. But as I mentioned I've experienced other problems so hopefully it's just the drive or laser and can be replaced, otherwise sad to say, I'll have to put her on the chopping block.

Robert

Mad Mr H

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jan 2010, 08:48 pm »
Ticking is 'usually' drive mech related.

Not sure if the BCD-1 has a buffer so read ahead - If so the ticking is trying to spin the disc up or reread of data.

Should not happen...........

For me the best thing is to return it, its a high ticket item, Engineers know that 99% of people don't return working goods, So even an intermitant fault gets checked, its easy to leave it on a test bench running, An engineer will hear the 'tick' whilst working on other units........

The 'tick' you mention I have heard on numerous units - OTHER brands as it happens.

werd

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jan 2010, 08:59 pm »
I've had an RA from Bryston since November but as shop owner I've had no time over the XMAS period, just making sure it's not a normal occurrence and end up with the same problem on its return.
Ok,  so before I chuck her out the window off she goes to service, I've a few other players and vinyl to tide me over but I'll miss the BCD-1.

Robert

Red wine cheese rocks........

rob80b

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jan 2010, 10:58 pm »
Red wine cheese rocks........

Funny you would mention that, I own a specialty cheese shop in TO and i just happen to have a bottle of red wine.

Robert

werd

« Reply #15 on: 18 Jan 2010, 11:06 pm »
Funny you would mention that, I own a specialty cheese shop in TO and i just happen to have a bottle of red wine.

Robert

I know... you have mentioned that cheese shop before. I and love that red wine cheese. Looks like some kind of marble cheese.

rob80b

« Reply #16 on: 18 Jan 2010, 11:15 pm »
Ticking is 'usually' drive mech related.

Not sure if the BCD-1 has a buffer so read ahead - If so the ticking is trying to spin the disc up or reread of data.

Should not happen...........

For me the best thing is to return it, its a high ticket item, Engineers know that 99% of people don't return working goods, So even an intermitant fault gets checked, its easy to leave it on a test bench running, An engineer will hear the 'tick' whilst working on other units........

The 'tick' you mention I have heard on numerous units - OTHER brands as it happens.

I would not mind it so much if I did hours of listening and it popped up once in awhile, but I usually can only squeeze in a few hours of music in a week, so it 's pretty annoying when it happens frequently.
Also if Bryston thought it was not a problem I probably would not have been issued a RMA, hopefully when it's on the bench it'll show up sooner than later.
Now, some of you mentioned the tick, when it happens on my BCD-1 it is extremely obvious, not subtle and interrupts my musical enjoyment which is what this hobby is all about.

Robert

Stu Pitt

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jan 2010, 03:25 am »
I had this problem before.  It was the CDs, not the player.  The CDs were burned too fast.  When I re-recorded them using slower speed like 6x or so, the ticking went away.  They sounded the same in every CD player I used.

I doubt that's your problem.  I think you said you're using original CDs.  Bryston will take good care of you.

Also, from what I know static electricity isn't a problem with high humidity, its a problem when humidity is very low.  I don't think I ever get shocked getting out of my car in the summer.  In the winter, especially around January and February, its an almost everytime occurrance.  Same thing happens when I open doors in my house.

Mad Mr H

« Reply #18 on: 20 Jan 2010, 01:55 pm »
I don't think I ever get shocked getting out of my car in the summer.  In the winter, especially around January and February, its an almost everytime occurrance.  Same thing happens when I open doors in my house.

could be the extra layers you wear in the winter?

Back to the topic in hand......

rob80b

« Reply #19 on: 20 Jan 2010, 05:26 pm »
Well at least not having the BCD-1 out of the system for a few days makes me really appreciate the quality of its playback.
In the mean time, I've put my HHB830 Cd/Recorder in as a substitute, along with a Sony 550 Blue Ray Player, amazing how 2 dimensional and articial sounding these players are compared to the Bryston.

Robert