tube dampers

audiodave33

tube dampers
« on: 19 Jun 2011, 04:02 pm »
has anyone experimented with tube dampers and if so could they describe how they impacted the sound and which ones they used.
thanks,
dave

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
Re: tube dampers
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2011, 05:27 pm »
Ted gave you some nice pointers.

I have Herbie's dampers on my 12au7s in my pre, an 12at7s in my phono pre. They definately 'tightened up' the sound, less smear, blacker background and better defined soundstage.

With that said, if you don't have a system that throws a clean sound image, ie, it's not already highly resolving, you may not notice a change.

But I think the Herbies come with a 30 day window, so you can experiment.

mraudio

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2011, 06:57 pm »
I also use the Herbie's on all of the tubes in my system.  I sure like what they do.

kernelbob

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2011, 11:01 pm »
I also endorse the Herbies tube dampers.  They were much better than the stock damping rings supplied with the Audio Research REF-3 I'm using.  The damping rings seemed to store and release the energy resulting in a smearing of the sound.  By contrast, the Herbies dampers control the vibration of the tubes with minimal contact, sort of like what you'd get if you were to hold the tubes with three fingers.  One thing, the results vary based on where the dampers are placed.  You'll want to experiment with different locations.  I just ordered a set for a pair of Kronzilla amps I have on order.  These use the large KR-1610 tubes.  There's a return option if you're not satisfied, so I don't see any risk in giving these a whirl.

Eric

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2011, 03:18 pm »
I use Herbies on all of my tubes as well (SAS 11A, Modwright Sonly 5400, and Monarchy SE-250's). I love them.

audiodave33

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jul 2011, 04:46 pm »
I got the dampers, put them on the 36.5 tubes, and echo what people have said about the affects
- tighter sound stage
- cleaner highs
- more space between instruments

on some cd's the sound sometimes seems a little to 'clean' for lack of a better word.

i'll have to experiment with moving them up and down.  any suggestions on the optimal placement on the rectifier tube and other.