ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

Jerrym303

• GJ Madigan Legacy Fly Rods
Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #1240 on: 19 Jul 2009, 03:17 am »
Hi Fellas,

I am expecting delivery of my Modwright Platinum Truth Transporter from Dan and the octal tube adaptor for the 6sn7's from Bolder. Per Dan's recommendation, I sourced an EML 5u4G already and awaiting delivery of the following NOS 6sn7 pairs - Tung-Sol Round Plate (one pair round mica, one pair oval mica), Ken-Rad VT231, Sylvania black plates VT231, and Mullard ECC33. I tied to read and absorb as much as I could out of this thread, but at 60 plus pages, I tend to get sidetracked.

Reason for this post - just making sure that I am on the right track and all the tubes that I got will work with MWTP. So please, if any of the tubes I listed will not work, please let me know. A friend also speaks very highly of Osram or Marconi B65, but has not tested for this particular application, I can't recall anybody posting about this tube on this thread. I have a pending deal on this tube but will wait for additional feedback as it represents a serious investment. Please educate me.

I intend to use the MWTP conventionally and very eager to know if it will have a good synergy when used a DAC for my Nova Physics Memory Player. I think the NPMP is a very good transport and I am hoping the MWTP will improve upon my old and trusty MBL 1511.

Cheers,
Fernando

I had a CEC Tranport and Accutic Arts Dac when I got my MW Transporter.

The Transporter alone sounded best, followed by the CEC/AA combination followed by the CEC to the Transporter.

Jerry

mikel51

« Reply #1241 on: 19 Jul 2009, 11:51 am »
Hi Fellas,

I am expecting delivery of my Modwright Platinum Truth Transporter from Dan and the octal tube adaptor for the 6sn7's from Bolder. Per Dan's recommendation, I sourced an EML 5u4G already and awaiting delivery of the following NOS 6sn7 pairs - Tung-Sol Round Plate (one pair round mica, one pair oval mica), Ken-Rad VT231, Sylvania black plates VT231, and Mullard ECC33. I tied to read and absorb as much as I could out of this thread, but at 60 plus pages, I tend to get sidetracked.

Reason for this post - just making sure that I am on the right track and all the tubes that I got will work with MWTP. So please, if any of the tubes I listed will not work, please let me know. A friend also speaks very highly of Osram or Marconi B65, but has not tested for this particular application, I can't recall anybody posting about this tube on this thread. I have a pending deal on this tube but will wait for additional feedback as it represents a serious investment. Please educate me.

I intend to use the MWTP conventionally and very eager to know if it will have a good synergy when used a DAC for my Nova Physics Memory Player. I think the NPMP is a very good transport and I am hoping the MWTP will improve upon my old and trusty MBL 1511.

Cheers,
Fernando

It will be interesting to hear your thoughts about the difference in sound between MWTP and the NPMP.  If I understand correctly, the NPMP is designed to act as a dedicated transport and music storage system using a strategy that is a bit different than the slim devices/squeeze center combo.  If I can speculate, I would think that the magic of the Modwright transporter comes from the architecture of taking the music file from your server and doing a fabulous job of acting as both the "transport" and DAC with a seamless handoff of digital output to AKM DAC to Dan's artful tube analog circuitry.  I would speculate (in agreement with Jerry's observations), that taking the NPMP digital output to the Transporter's digital input would not take full advantage of the NPMP memory player architecture as you would lose something via the transfer through spdf.

I have been watching and had great interest in the new PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport and DAC system.  If Dan hadn't built his modified transporter, I would probably be pursuing this option.  Now I am waiting for them to perfect the device and get their bridge option completed before even considering.  I am very intrigued by their potential of their digital lens, which essentially does allow playing from memory in a similar yet different manner than the NPMP.  Again with the speculation, I expect that they will have some very nice handling of the digital chain, but that the sum won't equal the transporter with Dan's mods.

Mike

Dimfer

« Reply #1242 on: 29 Jul 2009, 03:36 pm »
this is a very very early observation - and I am still using the tubes that Dan supplied as I am still waiting for Wayne's adapters.

very impressed with the level of performance by the MWTP as a standalone player (flac files ripped w/ dbpoweramp @ 6 compression rate) but at this point I tend to listen more using NPMP hooked to the AES/EBU xlr input of the Transporter. More analog sounding and in the room experience in my honest opinion. hopefully somebody in this community can come over to verify that  8)

my NPMP is transport only, waiting for Mark's new upgrades and DAC.

at this point, I'd be very happy to live with both.

and the Blak Hole makes a difference. Thanks Dan. Hope to get to tube rolling soon.

jwes

« Reply #1243 on: 31 Jul 2009, 10:48 pm »
Hi everyone,

I've been looking back through the thread for comments on experiences with the Herbie's tube dampers.  I think George used them, but I can't find any mention on how these work for people.  Any comments greatly appreciated!  Oh - I have the big EML and the TS 6sn7 rounds...

Jim

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #1244 on: 31 Jul 2009, 11:34 pm »
?  I've posted several times about that exact combo (page 39 of 63, for example), and posted pictures as well.  Love 'em.  Size 70 for EML, and size 30 for the pair of 6Sn7's.

Here's the pic one more time!

Here is what I said:
I detect a subtle tightening of the soundstage and a not so subtle top end control (less sizzle, more shine).  It's not night-n-day but it is worth the investment in my system (plus Herbie has a 90 day no-risk return policy).   His earlier Hal-O versions would often overdamp in some applications (disliked them on my SWL 9.0SE) but the feedback on the tungtsen-based ultrasonics are have been pretty positive....including this one.   :)

jwes

« Reply #1245 on: 1 Aug 2009, 12:11 am »
Thanks, Ted.  Sorry I wasn't able to find your earlier posts.  Long thread.   :duh:

tdangelo

« Reply #1246 on: 3 Aug 2009, 09:23 pm »
anyone have any idea on tube life in the MW Transporter?  Just curious and sorry if this has been asked before ;)

Tony

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1247 on: 3 Aug 2009, 09:54 pm »
?  I've posted several times about that exact combo (page 39 of 63, for example), and posted pictures as well.  Love 'em.  Size 70 for EML, and size 30 for the pair of 6Sn7's.

Here is what I said:
I detect a subtle tightening of the soundstage and a not so subtle top end control (less sizzle, more shine).  It's not night-n-day but it is worth the investment in my system (plus Herbie has a 90 day no-risk return policy).   His earlier Hal-O versions would often overdamp in some applications (disliked them on my SWL 9.0SE) but the feedback on the tungtsen-based ultrasonics are have been pretty positive....including this one.   :)

I am on board with what Ted said.

Don't expect Herbie's tube dampers to turn water into wine...rather think of them as a way to improve on your nice wine.  Similar to what happens when you let your wine breath before serving.

George

jriggy

« Reply #1248 on: 24 Aug 2009, 03:01 pm »
Hello everyone,

I have not participated in this thread nor have I begun any tube rolling but I must start now as the tubes in my slightly used MWTP I believe are going out...

I am in need of some assistance, but please bear in mind I have never owned, operated or heard tubes before now... I have had the unit for aprox 2 or 3 months (purchased from an AC member on Agon). I never got to hear it with the original tubes as it arrived with them going out on me. The seller sent a few tubes that I have been using from the start.
So I started with: Tun-Sol 5u4GB & 5AR4 GZ34 (mullard) for the rectifier and only have a pair of RCA 6cg7's for the signal tubes...
I believe the signal tubes are beginning to go out. One gets just slightly less illuminated than the other and I think it is beginning to show periodic static/distortion (which is what the stock tubes showed up doing)...
I am interested in getting the Boulder Cable adapters and going with all 6sn7's (from just some short research over the weekend here)...
BUT since the adapters may take a week or two to get I need a recommendation of a pair of 9 pin signal tubes for to use in the mean time that I could quickly find and order.
Anything else besides another pair of RCA 6cg7's???

EDIT: oh, also, what are the most common and respected online tube stores?

Thank you all for this thread and I look forward to reading it more.

J~
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2009, 05:08 pm by jriggy »

Philistine

« Reply #1249 on: 24 Aug 2009, 03:50 pm »
Hello everyone,

I have not participated in this thread nor have I begun any tube rolling but I must start now as the tubes in my slightly used MWTP I believe are going out...

I am in need of some assistance, but please bear in mind I have never owned, operated or heard tubes before now... I have had the unit for aprox 2 or 3 months (purchased from an AC member on Agon). I never got to hear it with the original tubes as it arrived with them going out on me. The seller sent a few tubes that I have been using from the start.
So I started with: Tun-Sol 5u4GB & 5AR4 GZ34 (mullard) for the rectifier and only have a pair of RCA 6cg7's for the signal tubes...
I believe the signal tubes are beginning to go out. One gets just slightly less illuminated than the other and I think it is beginning to show periodic static/distortion (which is what the stock tubes showed up doing)...
I am interested in getting the Boulder Cable adapters and going with all 6sn7's (from just some short research over the weekend here)...
BUT since the adapter takes many weeks to get I need a recommendation of a pair of 9 pin signal tubes for to use in the mean time that I could quickly find and order.
Anything else besides another pair of RCA 6cg7's???

EDIT: oh, also, what are the most common and respected online tube stores?

Thank you all for this thread and I look forward to reading it more.

J~

Welcome to the Circle J.

If you're going down the 6SN7 path then I would not invest too much in 9 pin tubes, the 6CG7 family are a good all round tube to keep you going in the interim and not too expensive.  Another alternative option would be to try new 6H30's just to give a different flavor.

I would probably buy these directly from EBay, or AC members that have these tubes lying around.   

jriggy

« Reply #1250 on: 24 Aug 2009, 07:27 pm »
Thanks Phiistine,

Ill stick with a cheep pair of the same for now if I find em...

Since I ordered the adapters and am going the 6sn7 route, are there any 6sn7 types one should stay away from or ones to keep an eye out for?

I guess I need to get reading!

Bigfish

« Reply #1251 on: 24 Aug 2009, 08:30 pm »
Thanks Phiistine,

Ill stick with a cheep pair of the same for now if I find em...

Since I ordered the adapters and am going the 6sn7 route, are there any 6sn7 types one should stay away from or ones to keep an eye out for?

I guess I need to get reading!

Many of us have gone through a bunch of different tubes in our ModWright Transporters.  They are expensive but I recommend you purchased the EML Mesh Rectifier Tube and Tung-Sol Round Plates 6SN7's.  Once you put these tubes in place you can spend your upgrade money in other areas of your system and forget about rolling tubes in the Transporter.  Zybar has a rectifier he might prefer to the EML but most of us that have the EML/Tung Sol Round Plate Combination believe they beat every other combination we have tried. 

Have fun and enjoy the music!

Ken

jwes

« Reply #1252 on: 24 Aug 2009, 10:39 pm »

Don't expect Herbie's tube dampers to turn water into wine...rather think of them as a way to improve on your nice wine.  Similar to what happens when you let your wine breath before serving.

George
[/quote]

And fine wine it is!  I think they've made a nice difference!  Starting to really feel the exceptional experience with the TS rounds, EML, etc.  Now I need better support.  Probably going in for the blak holes.  This is the first time that the full TP is clearly better than sending a digital stream out of the TP to the DAC input of my Red Wine Audio Isabella and using the DAC in the Isabella.  Or maybe it was just subtle improvements over time.  Anyway, now I'm convinced of the investment.

jriggy

« Reply #1253 on: 24 Aug 2009, 11:37 pm »
Many of us have gone through a bunch of different tubes in our ModWright Transporters.  They are expensive but I recommend you purchased the EML Mesh Rectifier Tube and Tung-Sol Round Plates 6SN7's.  Once you put these tubes in place you can spend your upgrade money in other areas of your system and forget about rolling tubes in the Transporter.  Zybar has a rectifier he might prefer to the EML but most of us that have the EML/Tung Sol Round Plate Combination believe they beat every other combination we have tried. 

Ken
OMG, thank you so much! That is the kind of post I wanted to hear but was afraid to ask for  :oops:  as I would love to spend my upgrade $$ else where and just enjoy the music!!!
Is there a consensus on best place to get the EML or those particular Tun-Sols? Ill assume ebay for the 6SN7's but...

Thanks again!

Bigfish

« Reply #1254 on: 25 Aug 2009, 12:14 am »

Ken
OMG, thank you so much! That is the kind of post I wanted to hear but was afraid to ask for  :oops:  as I would love to spend my upgrade $$ else where and just enjoy the music!!!
Is there a consensus on best place to get the EML or those particular Tun-Sols? Ill assume ebay for the 6SN7's but...

Thanks again!

The EML should be purchased here:  http://tubesusa.com/tubesusa.html

Many of us purchased our Tung Sol Round plates from this ebay seller.  He ships quickly after you purchase but I don't know if he currently has any for sale.  http://shop.ebay.com/lowbander80/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

Good Luck,

Ken

Philistine

« Reply #1255 on: 25 Aug 2009, 12:49 am »

Ken

Thanks again!

The EML should be purchased here:  http://tubesusa.com/tubesusa.html

Many of us purchased our Tung Sol Round plates from this ebay seller.  He ships quickly after you purchase but I don't know if he currently has any for sale.  http://shop.ebay.com/lowbander80/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

Good Luck,

Ken

Ken's nailed it with both the general consensus on tubes and their respective sources.
Their are a few other options but the EML and Tung Sol pairing are the two favorites - it took many of us time and money to arrive here :duh:  We can console ourselves on the fact that we had fun on the way.

One caveat - before you buy an EML tube I would recommend checking with Dan Wright to ensure your TP has the capacitor configuration that works with the EML tube.  Earlier TP's may not be compatible with the EML.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1256 on: 25 Aug 2009, 12:55 am »
If you don't want to (or can't) spend the amount of money required to get the EML/Tung Sol Blackplate combo that we all love, here is a combination that gets you pretty darn close at a fraction of the price:

6SN7's:  VT-231 Raytheon, black flat plates  or VT-231 Ken-Rad, flat black plates

These can be purchased from lots of vendors on Audiogon, eBay, etc...

rectifier:  BEL GZ34 5AR4 - 1970s Rare MINT NOS NIB by Philips/Mullard OEM

http://www.tubemonger.com/1970s_Bel_NOS_NIB_GZ34_5AR4_Philips_Mullard_OEM_p/3.htm

Have fun!

George

Philistine

« Reply #1257 on: 25 Aug 2009, 02:51 am »

Here is what I said:

Ted,
I've picked up a recent production EML and the size is smaller than earlier production - the Size 70 is way to small for the current production.  I'll check with Steve and revert back on the correct size.
Guess EML are sizing down the 5U4G's away from the UK size to the US size in order to make you guys feel less inadequate :green:

mikel51

« Reply #1258 on: 25 Aug 2009, 03:28 am »
I really love the Tung Sol 5u4g (top getter with support rods) or sylvania 5u4G/vt244 and either Raytheon 6sn7 or Tung Sol 6sn7.  Right now my favorite combo is Sylvania 5U4G/VT244 with a Tung Sol 6sn7WGTA.  In my current system, this beats the EML/round plate combination.  I might be willing to sell my EML 5u4G mesh plate, but probably want to keep the round plate tung sols for future tube rolling.
M

jriggy

« Reply #1259 on: 25 Aug 2009, 01:54 pm »
The sacrifices made to be able to share this invaluable info to us late comers to this thread is greatly appreciated!

rectifier:  BEL GZ34 5AR4 - 1970s Rare MINT NOS NIB by Philips/Mullard OEM
How close is what I am using now to this "second choice" tube or the EML? I currently have Sylvania / Mullard 5AR4 GZ34 1972 B2L2
It has only been in for a day and a half with out critical listening but right off the bat the improvement over a Tung-Sol 5U4GB 1963 was DYNAMICS!