The TRL Dude is in the house!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: The TRL Dude is in the house!
« Reply #60 on: 3 Nov 2011, 11:12 am »
what amp are you connecting Dude to
Clayton M-300 currently   :scratch:

I just saw your gallery - I am impressed  :thumb:--quite a work with the sub and I presume Gedlee speakers?
Thanks!  Yes, GedLee Abbeys

Like BRM are you using heavy gauge ICs to pre?
Not just yet..   :wink:

jackman

« Reply #61 on: 3 Nov 2011, 11:23 am »
OT, but jackman. There are some fun systems here in Chicago. I'd be happy to let you check out my Atma-aphere gear and Musical Fidelity kW preamp. There is indeed good stuff in this area. Give holler if interested....

Thanks!  I'll contact you over the Thanksgiving break and see if we can arrange a get-together.  You are also welcome to check out my system in Naperville anytime you wish.  I just picked up an SAS preamp and would be happy to bring it over if you want to check it out.  My system is modest but sounding pretty good at the moment. 

Cheers,

J

WC

« Reply #62 on: 3 Nov 2011, 01:44 pm »
Thanks!  I'll contact you over the Thanksgiving break and see if we can arrange a get-together.  You are also welcome to check out my system in Naperville anytime you wish.  I just picked up an SAS preamp and would be happy to bring it over if you want to check it out.  My system is modest but sounding pretty good at the moment. 

Cheers,

J

Which SAS Preamp did you pick up?

JakeJ

Some pruning was necessary
« Reply #63 on: 4 Nov 2011, 01:03 am »
Gentlemen,

That got out of hand rather quickly.  Please refrain from impolite responses of the extreme just exhibited.  The use of expletives, even if referred to in an abbreviated manner, is not acceptable behavior.  Remember...children have access to this site!  Your children.

While the off topic posts were just that, they were not offensive and really did not detract that much from the thread.  HOWEVER whenever a member has an impromptu idea that is thread related then please be aware that this easily can detract from the original thread, specially when it goes for more that two or three posts, and the quick and simple solution is one of two.  Start a new thread or use the PM system (the perfect solution here as the G2G involved a couple of members).

OK, everybody play nice!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #64 on: 4 Nov 2011, 02:30 pm »
Update on the sound.

I feel as I've had enough time with the unit to give some impressions.  I will say that off the bat this is the best preamp I've ever owned. 

What impresses me the most is the detail.  It has all the detail in the world with a great big sound that is natural.  It's really something hard to describe unless heard IMO.  To me, this tonal balance is neutral.  There is nothing that the Dude does that I don't like.  It's just an amazing piece!

Paul at TRL has been awesome to work with too.  He's actually a very humble person who doesn't try to sell or fluff his stuff.  It was well worth the wait and look forward to trying more TRL equipment. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #65 on: 4 Nov 2011, 04:52 pm »
Millions of TRL users have made similar claims!!! :bounce:

Well, not millions. :dance:

Told ya so!   :singing:

And BTW, how quiet is it?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #66 on: 4 Nov 2011, 05:14 pm »
how quiet is it?
Dead quiet! 

...and clarity unlike I've ever heard.  Just a complete wiper effect.   :thumb:

Quiet Earth

« Reply #67 on: 4 Nov 2011, 09:02 pm »
jtwrace,

Glad you are enjoying your new toy!

When you have some free time maybe you can tell us a little more about the Dude, and what makes it tick. Perhaps a brief circuit description, the basic parts layout, the tube or transistor complement, number of active stages, stuff like that.

Also, it looks like you went from a zero dB gain line stage (buffered passive?) to an active line stage. Did you find a great benefit from the additional gain of the dude?

I'm still debating whether or not to get an active pre. If I do, I would like to get one with very little total gain from input to output. So either a transformer coupled (step down) line stage, or just a single gain stage would be good for me.

Take your time ,,,,,,,  and enjoy the Dude!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #68 on: 4 Nov 2011, 11:52 pm »
When you have some free time maybe you can tell us a little more about the Dude, and what makes it tick. Perhaps a brief circuit description, the basic parts layout, the tube or transistor complement, number of active stages, stuff like that.
Well, it uses three 6SN7's, one 6080 and one OD3.  The preamp has a bunch of capacitance.  It's truly amazing how much it has.  I'd bet it has more then most amps.  The power supply circuit is very impressive. 

Also, it looks like you went from a zero dB gain line stage (buffered passive?) to an active line stage. Did you find a great benefit from the additional gain of the dude?
Yes, I went from zero gain from the buffer but before it I did have a pre with gain.  No benefit as my source has enough output. 

saisunil

« Reply #69 on: 5 Nov 2011, 12:14 am »
I have dude's older brother - battery powered dude - no tubes ... Paul tell me that it sounds very similar to dude without the tube bloom and or any shortcomings ...

Paul told me that he has applied what he has learnt so far from his various designs and experiences ... that is a big deal when you look at his $$$ GTP designs ... what is missing here is fancy chassis or uber expensive transformers without any loss of fidelity ...

His key accomplishment on the pre, he said, was the power supply - it is hard to avoid noticing the  amount of capacitance that even amps lack these days ...  the focus being reducing noise floor ...

In one word this pre (judging from my own similar trl battery pre) is effortless ... like a world class player that makes the sport look so easy ... that it makes most other players look bad ...

So what is the downside ... you gotta have one ... the Looooong wait  :duh: There is a saying ... price, quality and time - pick two ... obviously time at the bottom of the pile here  :lol:

It really has tried my patience but Paul is by far the most amazing human being I have run into in this industry that is full of great people to start with ...

Cheers

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #70 on: 5 Nov 2011, 12:20 am »
Well, it uses three 6SN7's, one 6080 and one OD3.  The preamp has a bunch of capacitance.  It's truly amazing how much it has.  I'd bet it has more then most amps.  The power supply circuit is very impressive. 
Yes, I went from zero gain from the buffer but before it I did have a pre with gain.  No benefit as my source has enough output.

In order to get to the nitty gritty on tube topology, I guess you'll have to e-mail the designer and even his website has very little if any information. Needless to say, given my trust of Jtwrace's system, I am sure the design is supreme. The 6SN7 as many of you know is one of the best driver tubes, with plentiful choices and beautiful tone. The 6080 tube is also known more popularly as the 6AS7 in some circles and is used commonly as a power follower or cathode follower. The OD3 is a tube regulator. Of course I have no idea what the true topology of the Dude is. I wonder what the overall gain of the preamp is, I'm sure the designer would reveal that much, although it is easy to measure, just plug a sine wave generator with a known voltage on one of the inputs, turn the volume control completely clockwise and measure the output voltage. Then just calculate: 20 log (Vout/Vin) = dB of gain.

Sounds like a keeper and a bargain given BRM's recent review amongst an arsenal of other competing preamps.

Anand.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #71 on: 5 Nov 2011, 12:24 am »
In order to get to the nitty gritty on tube topology, I guess you'll have to e-mail the designer and even his website has very little if any information. Needless to say, given my trust of Jtwrace's system, I am sure the design is supreme. The 6SN7 as many of you know is one of the best driver tubes, with plentiful choices and beautiful tone. The 6080 tube is also known more popularly as the 6AS7 in some circles and is used commonly as a power follower or cathode follower. The OD3 is a tube regulator. Of course I have no idea what the true topology of the Dude is. I wonder what the overall gain of the preamp is, I'm sure the designer would reveal that much, although it is easy to measure, just plug a sine wave generator with a known voltage on one of the inputs, turn the volume control completely clockwise and measure the output voltage. Then just calculate: 20 log (Vout/Vin) = dB of gain.

Sounds like a keeper and a bargain given BRM's recent review amongst an arsenal of other competing preamps.

Anand.

Thanks for the clarification.   :thumb:

The gain is pretty low.  If anyone has any finite topology questions I do suggest that you contact Paul and he will answer them.  He usually will respond to email at night after working on Dudes all day.   :lol:  I mean, amps and preamps.   :wink:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #72 on: 5 Nov 2011, 12:06 pm »
What tubes did he give you for left and right?

Looks like some NOS GE GT 6SN7's. 

wilsynet

« Reply #73 on: 5 Nov 2011, 04:54 pm »
I think the Dodd is pretty transparent too.  How would you distinguish the two, the Dude versus the Dodd?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #74 on: 5 Nov 2011, 06:51 pm »
I think the Dodd is pretty transparent too.  How would you distinguish the two, the Dude versus the Dodd?

Yeah.  The two are different though.  The ultimate transparency of the Dude is really somthing though.  The Dude is really really special...something that needs to be heard. 

Of course the buffer is a bargain at it's price though but I think the Dude is too. 

Ericus Rex

« Reply #75 on: 5 Nov 2011, 07:56 pm »
How about a pic of the innards?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #76 on: 5 Nov 2011, 07:58 pm »
How about a pic of the innards?

Sorry but I will not do that. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #77 on: 5 Nov 2011, 08:56 pm »
Good call. It should be for manufacturers to decide if photes of the internals of their products are posted.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #78 on: 5 Nov 2011, 09:03 pm »
Good call. It should be for manufacturers to decide if photes of the internals of their products are posted.

Yes.  I work with IP every day and just don't do that and wouldn't share something that isn't mine. 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #79 on: 5 Nov 2011, 10:03 pm »
Yes.  I work with IP every day and just don't do that and wouldn't share something that isn't mine.
kind of silly, imo, since pics of innards of audio equipment are all over the web.  including the dude; i remember the first time i saw it - on audiocircle.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=86806.msg851993#msg851993

besides, i thought you bought this, it isn't yours?   :wink:

ymmv,

doug s.