The TRL Dude is in the house!

Stercom

Re: The TRL Dude is in the house!
« Reply #200 on: 15 Dec 2011, 11:25 pm »
I've been using a Dude in my system for a couple of weeks now. This is a very musical preamp! Very well built and designed. I have the "older" version but Paul indicated there is basically no difference from the current version other than the case. I have some pics in my gallery (in My Place folder). I also picked-up the TRL D225 amp that was available and all I can say is "wow" - an awesome match!
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2011, 01:10 am by Stercom »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #201 on: 15 Dec 2011, 11:29 pm »
I've been using a Dude in my system for a couple of weeks now. This is a very musical preamp! Very well built and designed. I have the "older' version but Paul indicated there is basically no difference from the current version other than the case. I have some pics in my gallery. I also picked-up the TRL D225 amp that was available and all I can say is "wow" - an awesome match!
Congrats!   :thumb:

Stercom

« Reply #202 on: 16 Dec 2011, 02:19 am »
Thanks Jason. It was you and Big Red Machine who got me looking at Tube Research Labs again after I sold off my Shindo gear. I've read pretty much all you guys have said about your TRL gear. I owned a TRL modded Sony CD player a number of years ago so I knew they made/modded quality equipment but I was shocked by how musical the Dude and D225 actually are.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #203 on: 16 Dec 2011, 02:26 am »
They kinda ruined all the fun because now I don't know what to look at to tweak so am looking at dacs and dig cables for lack of any major piece to change.

If I can swing it, I might add a second system next year just for turning and burning fun.

I'm sick, I know. :duh:

saisunil

« Reply #204 on: 16 Dec 2011, 02:31 am »

Only until you are sick of being sick  :lol: :green:
Paul emailed me saying that Samsons will be getting into a crate this week to be loaded into freight ... :thumb:
All this while I was dreaming of having an active speaker ... well no more  :D

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #205 on: 16 Dec 2011, 02:36 am »
They kinda ruined all the fun because now I don't know what to look at to tweak so am looking at dacs and dig cables for lack of any major piece to change.
I agree....

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=101551.msg1026780;topicseen#new

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #206 on: 16 Dec 2011, 04:22 am »
They kinda ruined all the fun because now I don't know what to look at to tweak...

Dude, did I miss your cool review of NOS tubes???  :scratch:

:P

Stercom

« Reply #207 on: 16 Dec 2011, 05:26 am »

If I can swing it, I might add a second system next year just for turning and burning fun.

How about a decent turntable/arm/cartridge? Of course, you will need a phono pre to go with it....... :D

TomS

« Reply #208 on: 16 Dec 2011, 07:04 pm »
How about a decent turntable/arm/cartridge? Of course, you will need a phono pre to go with it....... :D
Does Paul make one?

Stercom

« Reply #209 on: 16 Dec 2011, 11:29 pm »
Does Paul make one?
Not that I'm aware of. I would certainly like to hear what he could do with a phono preamp. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask 8)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #210 on: 18 Dec 2011, 02:25 pm »
Not that I'm aware of. I would certainly like to hear what he could do with a phono preamp. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask 8)
I'm pretty sure he doesn't. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #211 on: 18 Dec 2011, 02:27 pm »
Also, for you Dude owners here are some pics of the isolation that I've put in place. 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=101609.0

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #212 on: 19 Oct 2012, 12:29 am »
Does anyone here have a balanced Dude? 

fridays

« Reply #213 on: 20 Oct 2012, 12:12 am »
I've got a Coincident Tech Statement pre into Sampsons, would love to hear the synergy using the Dude

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #214 on: 20 Oct 2012, 12:16 am »
I've got a Coincident Tech Statement pre into Sampsons, would love to hear the synergy using the Dude
Before I discovered the Dude, I looked at the Coincident Statement but the only thing that kept me from trying it was the lack of a volume remote. 

I think you might would be shocked by the Dude with the Samsons...

Rx8man

« Reply #215 on: 20 Oct 2012, 02:41 am »
I installed a pair of Duelund Alexander Caps (3.3µF / 900V) in my Dude and set-up on Herbies Iso-Cups with Gabon Ebony Balls, it's a very serious preamp, I'd put it against anything on the market  :D

BTW, Herbies stuff works fantastic, my whole rig's set-up with TenderFeet and Iso-Cups.

jhm731

« Reply #216 on: 20 Oct 2012, 03:50 am »
jtwrace,

Did you listen to a Dude in your system before you ordered one?

« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2012, 04:21 pm by jhm731 »

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #217 on: 20 Oct 2012, 12:06 pm »
set-up on Herbies Iso-Cups with Gabon Ebony Balls
Mine too.

jtwrace,

Did you listen to a Duke in your system before you ordered one?

No I wasn't able to listen to a Dude first.

doug baer

« Reply #218 on: 21 Oct 2012, 02:22 am »
I guess I am the only one that owns a balanced Dude. I bought it from Paul the founder of Tube Research Labs, about 2 years ago this past July. I insisted that if I were to order a Dude, it had to be balanced. I have an Accustic Arts (yes that is the way it is spelled) Dac 1 MK4 DA converter. It is fully balanced and I wanted to utilize its circuitry with the Dude. The preamp I had at the time was a Balanced Audio Technology VK150 SE. It was musical and extremely quiet. I bought the preamp on a recommendation from more than one friend. Lets just say it will be the last preamp I will ever buy. You have no idea how darn good it sounds. It sounded so much better than anything I tried that I started to wonder what his power amps could do?  I now own a pair of TRL GT 200 power amps. I will post some pictures of the system I now have. You be the judge if I am serious!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #219 on: 22 Oct 2012, 01:30 pm »
VERY nice Doug!   :notworthy:

What 6SN7's do you run in the balanced Dude?  Is it quiet?