The TRL Dude is in the house!

roscoeiii

Re: The TRL Dude is in the house!
« Reply #120 on: 9 Nov 2011, 08:42 pm »
Jason, should I take it from your new logo that you got a new DAC? Heard good things about Metric Halo DACs over on Computer Audiophile...

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #121 on: 9 Nov 2011, 08:44 pm »
Jason, should I take it from your new logo that you got a new DAC? Heard good things about Metric Halo DACs over on Computer Audiophile...

Well, I do like the logo & I did get a LIO-8 to try out. 

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #122 on: 9 Nov 2011, 09:11 pm »
Do you have a phono stage?  TRL doesn't have one.  There is a Dude on audiogon that is close to your price range if you don't need a pre/phono one unit.

Yes, I have a nice phono stage ...

I wrote the seller of that one on Audiogon btw, as well Paul.  The one on Agon has XLR's which I'd need, so that's good.  I'm wondering if it's a true balanced circuit or just essentially cheater plugs attached to a single ended circuit. 

Quiet Earth

« Reply #123 on: 9 Nov 2011, 09:15 pm »
Guys,

I believe that your enthusiasm is genuine and you certainly have my interest piqued as well as other readers. I also believe that the Dude sounds as good as you say it does. Thank you again for sharing :thumb: But,,,,,,      *sigh* ....... there is no easy way to say this without sounding like a jerk.

This is just a FWIW Ok?  . . .

TRL is certainly not the first company to utilize a feed forward type of power supply or a tube rectified, regulated, voltage stabilized power supply. There are other companies that offer sophisticated power supplies too. I think it is a great idea to use the 3 tube power supply, and I'm sure that is what accounts for much of the goodness in the Dude. But it's not like it is revolutionary or anything. Or is it? If it is, then can we read about it somewhere? I say this from the perspective of wanting to learn more, not just wanting to buy a good pre-amp or joining a club.

As for quality, I'm sure that it is very good too because I believe you guys. But, if the Dude doesn't look much better on the inside than those first two pictures, then the quality is not in the outstanding level in my book. I'm not saying that it is poor quality or even average quality - no not at all. I just don't see the gushing puppy love quality that you guys are talking about from the first two pics.

Am I missing something?

And other than proprietary iron or proprietary circuit layout, (which is a huge deal, yes, I agree!) well,,,, I just don't see the way-above-normal parts and wiring quality that is being gushed over here either. Can you show us where it is?

I hope I have not offended anyone. I just want to learn more about what makes this great preamp do its thing, that's all. It seems to be all hush hush unless you are only giving kudos to TRL or a proud owner. Maybe that was the purpose of this thread?  That's fine too. I will respect that. 8)

JDUBS

« Reply #124 on: 9 Nov 2011, 09:40 pm »
I had an MH DAC (LIO-8) and it is great!  Of course, this was with a fully active 3-way setup and I was able to use 6 of its 8 outputs....if I was 2-channel only (never again), there are LOTS of great DACs out there. 

I.e., if you're going active, the LIO-8 is the best of the bunch...if you don't need 3+ channels, don't bother - 2 channel-only tech is a lot cheaper.

-Jim

Big Red Machine

« Reply #125 on: 9 Nov 2011, 10:24 pm »
I just don't see the way-above-normal parts and wiring quality that is being gushed over here either. Can you show us where it is?

I don't think anybody said there were such parts in it.  A sound design in a cool chassis that you can customize to your color choice.  Oh, and it is the best preamp I have ever had sound-wise, not look-wise, or component-wise.  Pretty simple.

The Rogue Athena I auditioned sounded pretty close but was electrically noisy, and it was $1k more.  I did enjoy its 6H30 tubes though.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #126 on: 10 Nov 2011, 01:58 am »
This is just a FWIW Ok?  . . .
Of course.

TRL is certainly not the first company to utilize a feed forward type of power supply or a tube rectified, regulated, voltage stabilized power supply. There are other companies that offer sophisticated power supplies too. I think it is a great idea to use the 3 tube power supply, and I'm sure that is what accounts for much of the goodness in the Dude. But it's not like it is revolutionary or anything. Or is it? If it is, then can we read about it somewhere? I say this from the perspective of wanting to learn more, not just wanting to buy a good pre-amp or joining a club.

As for quality, I'm sure that it is very good too because I believe you guys. But, if the Dude doesn't look much better on the inside than those first two pictures, then the quality is not in the outstanding level in my book. I'm not saying that it is poor quality or even average quality - no not at all. I just don't see the gushing puppy love quality that you guys are talking about from the first two pics.
I never said that the circuit was anything ground breaking or the parts quality was anything super special.  Like anything I truly belive it takes a great design and to be implemented really well.  TRL has acheived both IMO.

I hope I have not offended anyone. I just want to learn more about what makes this great preamp do its thing, that's all. It seems to be all hush hush unless you are only giving kudos to TRL or a proud owner. Maybe that was the purpose of this thread? 
If you have details about the circuit I'm sure you can email Paul and he will tell you what you want to know.  To be honest I don't know enough to tell you if I did.  I learned a while ago that I don't know enough and that's why I purchase them.  I simply can't do any better. 

As many of you know I can make case work without a problem so I didn't purchase this pre for the fancy aluminum case.  I've had many preamps that have cost twice what this does and offer significantly less performace.  I'm just really happy to shrae the journey like many on this forum do.  That's it!  I'm a paying customer of TRL and a happy one. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #127 on: 10 Nov 2011, 02:01 am »
I had an MH DAC (LIO-8) and it is great!  Of course, this was with a fully active 3-way setup and I was able to use 6 of its 8 outputs....if I was 2-channel only (never again), there are LOTS of great DACs out there. 

I.e., if you're going active, the LIO-8 is the best of the bunch...if you don't need 3+ channels, don't bother - 2 channel-only tech is a lot cheaper.

-Jim

Yes, many dacs!  I like the fact that it can be my dac and replace my DCX.  It's extremely powerful as you noted.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #128 on: 10 Nov 2011, 12:56 pm »
The Rogue Athena I auditioned sounded pretty close but was electrically noisy, and it was $1k more.  I did enjoy its 6H30 tubes though.

That's not an entirely fair comparison for Rogue (or any other manufacturer who goes the more traditional manufacturer-dealer network scenario) since TRL is a direct-purchase company.  Following normal dealer percentages, Rogue probably makes around $2,800 for an Athena and The Dude would have to retail in a shop for around $7k.  The Dude should be cheaper since you're buying direct.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #129 on: 10 Nov 2011, 01:02 pm »
That's not an entirely fair comparison for Rogue (or any other manufacturer who goes the more traditional manufacturer-dealer network scenario) since TRL is a direct-purchase company.  Following normal dealer percentages, Rogue probably makes around $2,800 for an Athena and The Dude would have to retail in a shop for around $7k.  The Dude should be cheaper since you're buying direct.

True.  But more money out of pocket is still more money out of pocket.  Right?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #130 on: 10 Nov 2011, 02:54 pm »
Then I'll tell Paul to charge you $8000 for the Dude if that makes it more fair. :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #131 on: 10 Nov 2011, 02:55 pm »
Then I'll tell Paul to charge you $8000 for the Dude if that makes it more fair. :thumb:
:rotflmao:

Ericus Rex

« Reply #132 on: 10 Nov 2011, 06:29 pm »
A classic deflection!   Well played, Sir!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #133 on: 10 Nov 2011, 07:11 pm »
I'm so old I only know classic.  Can't do any hip, modern deflections. :cry:

Quiet Earth

« Reply #134 on: 10 Nov 2011, 08:19 pm »
Ok I get it now :  :fishing:  .......... Zing! you got me!  :thumb:

I never said that the circuit was anything ground breaking or the parts quality was anything super special.  Like anything I truly belive it takes a great design and to be implemented really well.  TRL has acheived both IMO.

This is saying the same thing isn't it? The circuit plus the parts quality and implementation are "the design".  Right? Of course it's right. But that's not the point of the thread. It's this : :fishing:  Zing!

Thanks for the ride brother j!  :D  I'll keep my eye out for the Dude.

Dude.  8)

jackman

« Reply #135 on: 10 Nov 2011, 10:26 pm »
Great thread!  Seven pages of comments and almost nothing about how this amp sounds.  Does it require thousands of hours of "breakin" before it can be evaluated?   :scratch:

Either way, I expect "glowing" comments and hopefully something about how a veil has been lifted along with "blacker black" background, and of course more "air" between instruments.  Bass is tighter and more impactful, highs are more transparent, etc.  Please tell us how everything has become more "musical" and how the level of realism and overall enjoyment you are receiving from your system is at a whole new level you never thought possible.  Is it like listening to your music collection for the first time?   :thumb:

Looking forward to the review.  I wonder if you will like the new preamp? 

Cheers,

J

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #136 on: 11 Nov 2011, 12:56 am »
Great thread!  Seven pages of comments and almost nothing about how this amp sounds.  Does it require thousands of hours of "breakin" before it can be evaluated?   :scratch:

Either way, I expect "glowing" comments and hopefully something about how a veil has been lifted along with "blacker black" background, and of course more "air" between instruments.  Bass is tighter and more impactful, highs are more transparent, etc.  Please tell us how everything has become more "musical" and how the level of realism and overall enjoyment you are receiving from your system is at a whole new level you never thought possible.  Is it like listening to your music collection for the first time?   :thumb:

Cheers,

J
hopefully, this will tide you over until jason gives further elucidation:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=99995.msg1010531#msg1010531
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=99995.msg1010595#msg1010595
 8)

doug s.

JDUBS

« Reply #137 on: 11 Nov 2011, 01:19 am »
Ok I get it now :  :fishing:  .......... Zing! you got me!  :thumb:

This is saying the same thing isn't it? The circuit plus the parts quality and implementation are "the design".  Right? Of course it's right. But that's not the point of the thread. It's this : :fishing:  Zing!

Thanks for the ride brother j!  :D  I'll keep my eye out for the Dude.

Dude.  8)

This post has me cracking up!   :lol:  Nicely done.

-Jim

Big Red Machine

« Reply #138 on: 11 Nov 2011, 02:47 am »
I know JT is smitten with this unit.  I was a little scared because I have had several folks go to TRL since I have been a satisfied user and was worried my favorable results may not be favorable to others.  So far, so good.  There are more guys out there in the shadows going to TRL as we speak.  One of the nice things, of course, is those folks who can actually come to my house and hear the system then know that my written words here align with what they hear here.  I still feel a little pressure to not oversell because we all know one man's treasure is another's garbage.

I was convinced to buy the Dude based on phone calls with Dude owners who had purchased much more expensive gear than I over the years and just spoke so highly I felt confident to take the plunge.  I liked the reports on the quality of the sound because I was planning a SoundScape set-up and they deserve the best.  What made it even more enticing for me was the custom color and configuration I could get for no extra charges (for my choices).  I liked the look and liked the guy selling me the product.  I can't say enough how Paul Weitzel is exactly like Jim Salk - super knowledgeable and very honest and selling a superb product that outperforms the competition at a direct-sales price.  What's not to love about that?!

So now it's up to JT to give his report.  Are we close to that 125 or 400 hour mark yet?  I've lost track.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #139 on: 11 Nov 2011, 11:27 am »

Cheers,

J
Funny post, but so true!! Flavor of the month? There's been a lot of "Flavors" over the years...
I did hear that TRL has stopped making the Samson and will make a tube amp at the $6k price point.