Need Microwave Oven Suggestions

Don_S

Need Microwave Oven Suggestions
« on: 25 Oct 2011, 08:19 pm »
Sad, sad day  :cry:

My Tappan microwave has expired after just short of 20 years of faithful service. Woot, Woot, Woot, made with pride in Dublin, OH.  They don't make them like that any more.

I desparately need suggestions.  I don't need anything fancy, just something that will last and has a turntable.  I read reviews of GEs sold at Lowes and they have the life expectancy of an insect. Extremely low user ratings.

Panasonic ovens at Walmart had a much higher rating but so did the GEs reviewed there so I don't trust the reviews on that site.

Please help me with suggestions for the best choice from all the foreign made crap I will have to choose from.

Starving in Sacramento.  :icon_frown:

srb

Re: Need Microwave Oven Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2011, 09:18 pm »
I bought a Panasonic to replace my 20 year old microwave.  My previous oven, like many, cycled between on and off to deliver lower power levels, whereas the Panasonic Inverter technology has true continuous power levels and works much better than the older technology.

I bought a 1.6 cu. ft. model, one size down from the largest 2.2 cu. ft.,  with a spin dial instead of the traditional 10 digit keypad for time entry, which I like.  The only thing I would have preferred is a squeezable handle to gently close the door.  My model has a push release to open, and closing is basically slamming the door shut.

Whatever size and model features you get, the Inverter cooking technology is excellent.  I don't know about long term reliability, of course, as mine is only 3 years old.

This is the model I have:  Panasonic NN-SD797S

Oh, and the stainless steel "Fingerprint Resistant finish"?  NOT!

Steve

Quiet Earth

« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2011, 09:56 pm »
Steve, try the product called Stainless Steel Magic. It works pretty good and you don't have to use it very often.

We have a GE Spacemaker (GL1800?) microwave oven that has been cooking fine for about 8 years. Recently, I noticed that it interrupts the wifi connection and Netflix when it is on. I worry now that it might be leaking microwaves into the room while it is operating. I'm thinking about replacing it even though it still cooks well. I think I would have rather just had it go dead out on me than continue to use it while standing about 10 feet away and wondering if I'm radiating myself and my family.  :o

Don_S

« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2011, 03:22 pm »
Steve why did you choose that model over this one?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Panasonic-1.6-cf-Stainless-Steel-Microwave-Oven/13430803

I don't like the buttons on it but it is available locally (allegedly). One store had a demo but no stock. 

Really miss having a microwave but I don't have time to shop now. I am getting a 6' vinyl patio door and 5.0x4.0 window delivered in a couple of hours and then the job to remove and replace my existing door and window is mine.  I hate when that happens.  :jester:

srb

« Reply #4 on: 26 Oct 2011, 04:28 pm »
Steve why did you choose that model over this one?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Panasonic-1.6-cf-Stainless-Steel-Microwave-Oven/13430803

I was intrigued with the single knob instead of the number pad, as it didn't require you to look at the numbers to set the time, or if the time was mis-entered, cancel and re-enter.  With the knob, I was able to just rotate it forward or back to the desired time.

I also liked the cleaner and simpler look of the less populated all-stainless control panel.  Most important though, was at the time I was able to get it at buy.com for less than $150 shipped which at the time (2008) was only a few bucks more than the locally available numpad model.  It looks like it's a bit more expensive now.

However, some people may not like dial entry and actually prefer the numpad.  The cooking performance is identical.

Hope the patio door goes smoothly, not exactly a quick wham-bam job.  Take your time getting it perfectly level and plumb.

Steve

Don_S

« Reply #5 on: 26 Oct 2011, 04:52 pm »
Steve,

Thanks for the information. I like the idea of the inverter. The model I gave the number for has a combination of electronic kekpad and mechanical buttons.  I don't like the feel of the buttons but the 2.2cf version with just a keypad is too big and ugly (the body, not the face). The 1.6cf version is also ugly--just less of it.

There is never any wham-bam at my house.  For some reason the original contractor found a sliding door that is 1.5" smaller than standard so I have to make the hole larger.  Don't ask me how he got a smaller door.  For me to order anything custom almost doubles the price and this guy built cheap, cheap, cheap.

And the window is an even sadder story.  I am replacing a garden window that is largely mounted on the outside of the house.  The standard sliding window I am replacing it with requires me to cut sheet rock to inset the window.  Not a big deal except for the sill and 22" up each side that are covered with ceramic tile I have to cut back. The sill was also floated with "mud" before setting the tile. I will have to cut part of it out as well.  The hole will end up about 1/2" too small (top to bottom) so I will have to notch the outside portion of the header. Great fun in store for me.