Which Non Teflon Pans to Purchase?

Dan Driscoll

Re: Which Non Teflon Pans to Purchase?
« Reply #20 on: 28 Oct 2011, 04:15 pm »
All-Clad is very good, but IMO there are other, equally good multi-ply SS pans available that cost considerably less; KitchenAid, for example. I had an All-Clad sauce pan, but returned it and got KitchenAid instead, for a little more than half the price. The main problem was the long, skinny handle; my wife has hand problems and picking up the All-Clad when it was full was difficult for her. The same sized 3 quart pan from KitchenAid she can pick up without any problems because it has a wide, flat handle.

srb

« Reply #21 on: 28 Oct 2011, 04:32 pm »
I like the USA made All-Clad over the Chinese made KitchenAid, but I will admit that the All-Clad handles are not the most ergonomic.  The handles on my USA made Calphalon Unison Nonstick are by far the most comfortable handles I've come across.

Steve

rodge827

« Reply #22 on: 28 Oct 2011, 06:00 pm »
I like the USA made All-Clad over the Chinese made KitchenAid, but I will admit that the All-Clad handles are not the most ergonomic.
The main problem was the long, skinny handle

Agreed!

The handles are a little small and can be difficult to use with the larger pans, but over all a very nice pan. :thumb:

carusoracer

« Reply #23 on: 30 Nov 2011, 09:38 pm »
Late to the thread...What is the best deal out there now for two piece sets, ie 8" and 10" Teflon type non stick or Calphalon Unison Nonstick.
I do want to be able to "Sear" but apparently very hard on cookware and need something value oriented yet durable. I looked at the Emiral stuff as well but wanted to hear from actual end users.
Appreciate the replies.

srb

« Reply #24 on: 30 Nov 2011, 10:21 pm »
I have the $60 promo 8" & 10" Calphalon Unison Slide Nonstick uncovered Fry Pans, and they are really nice USA made thick guage hard anodized aluminum with super comfortable stay-cool stainless triple-rivet handles.  Nothing can touch them for the $60/pair promo price.  They are available as a covered set for $100.  There are also promo sets of uncovered 10" and 12" Fry Pans for $80.

I do some searing in them, but I'm only a fish eater and they obviously aren't as good at searing as the Calphalon Unison Sear Nonstick.  They don't have the same fry pan promo sets available in the Sear, but they do have a 12" Grill Pan for $50 and a 3 quart Saute Pan (deeper) with helper handle and lid for $100.

If searing is a priority, I would opt for the Sear series.  I think I'll pick up one of those $50 12" Sear Grill Pans.

Steve

ctviggen

« Reply #25 on: 1 Dec 2011, 12:21 am »
All-Clad is very good, but IMO there are other, equally good multi-ply SS pans available that cost considerably less; KitchenAid, for example. I had an All-Clad sauce pan, but returned it and got KitchenAid instead, for a little more than half the price. The main problem was the long, skinny handle; my wife has hand problems and picking up the All-Clad when it was full was difficult for her. The same sized 3 quart pan from KitchenAid she can pick up without any problems because it has a wide, flat handle.

Unless KitchenAid changed their handle design, I like the AllClad handles better, especially if you can "flip" with the pan.  The KitchenAids just don't do this well. 

I'm not a big fan of hard anodized; it always looks bad after a while.

carusoracer

« Reply #26 on: 1 Dec 2011, 04:03 am »
Thanks Steve. The promo looks good and I luv fish as well. A quick sear for scallops, trout, salmon or swordfish is ideal.  I did see the same sear pan that you mentioned but I was trying to stay economical...might have to go the same direction.  I'm still looking at the Emeril stuff as well