RMAF 2011 Final thoughts.

OzarkTom

Re: RMAF 2011 Final thoughts.
« Reply #160 on: 22 Oct 2011, 05:16 pm »
sounds like a good sign.   :thumb:

i am curious about speakers that have to be within 2" of the rear wall... 

doug s.

The show special was $995, retail $1500. You might call the company and see if they will honor the show special. Sometimes these companies will.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #161 on: 22 Oct 2011, 05:28 pm »

doug s.

Doug, they were very impressive speakers. Tremendous and shocking bass output into the 20's.  I bet you would be impressed with them, too.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #162 on: 22 Oct 2011, 05:32 pm »
The show special was $995, retail $1500. You might call the company and see if they will honor the show special. Sometimes these companies will.
http://www.sjofnhifi.com/servlet/Categories?category=%28the+clue%29+loudpseakers

if i were in the market, and were gonna be buying $1k speakers w/o having a prior audition, i would pick the sam1's first.  two reasons - coax mid/tweet, and not having to be 2" or less from the rear wall.  it seems both designs try to limit the room's effect; i think keeping the speakers away from the wall will work better for overall soundstaging.  now, if my room were such that near-wall placement was  required, i may re-think my wiews...

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #163 on: 22 Oct 2011, 05:33 pm »
Doug, they were very impressive speakers. Tremendous and shocking bass output into the 20's.  I bet you would be impressed with them, too.
scott, did you get to hear the sam1's?

doug s.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #164 on: 22 Oct 2011, 05:42 pm »
That doesn't ring a bell. Who makes them?

Daedalus Audio

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #165 on: 22 Oct 2011, 05:49 pm »
What issues did you have?

This is too bad since I spent at least 20 minutes in 1030, part of the time listening to "Old Man" from Massey Hall.  I really felt I was actually back in 1971 in the hall.

please don't get me wrong, I love that show, the best part for me is just seeing all the people who have become friends. I even had to make  special trips to Denver the last two years in the summer primarily to hang with some of these great people (including our wonderful Marjorie).

on the business side it is VERY expensive for the big room, and the last three years the elevators have become progressively more of an issue. this year by late sat. people were avoiding the upper floors of the tower. this meant limited press coverage etc.  I've heard of some people who were trapped in those elevators for almost an hour!

many of us in this forum know that when an electrical motor is overworked it never comes back to full power and each time it's capacity is diminished. my hope is that the hotel will replace the motors with a higher rating and next year people will have quick easy access to the upper floors.

in any event I will likely look at a different room in another part of the hotel, I feel like it is time for a change. also I am planning on doing more shows around the country ( already good for Newport Beach, and am considering Wash. DC)  any suggestions????

thanks,
lou

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #166 on: 22 Oct 2011, 05:49 pm »
That doesn't ring a bell. Who makes them?
aj in fla - soundfield audio monitor 1's

thread:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=97955.0

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #167 on: 22 Oct 2011, 05:51 pm »
please don't get me wrong, I love that show, the best part for me is just seeing all the people who have become friends. I even had to make  special trips to Denver the last two years in the summer primarily to hang with some of these great people (including our wonderful Marjorie).

on the business side it is VERY expensive for the big room, and the last three years the elevators have become progressively more of an issue. this year by late sat. people were avoiding the upper floors of the tower. this meant limited press coverage etc.  I've heard of some people who were trapped in those elevators for almost an hour!

many of us in this forum know that when an electrical motor is overworked it never comes back to full power and each time it's capacity is diminished. my hope is that the hotel will replace the motors with a higher rating and next year people will have quick easy access to the upper floors.

in any event I will likely look at a different room in another part of the hotel, I feel like it is time for a change. also I am planning on doing more shows around the country ( already good for Newport Beach, and am considering Wash. DC)  any suggestions????

thanks,
lou
strongly consider washington dc's capital audiofest.   :thumb:

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #168 on: 22 Oct 2011, 06:37 pm »
Yes, I heard them in the DC show. I liked them a lot but thought they are butt ugly. They are in a completely different league from the Sjoens. The Sjoens are small bookshelf type monitors, designed to be close to the back wall.
butt ugly?  they look like almost any other two-way monitor, to me.  except, of course my beautiful ebony proac tablette reference 8 signatures!   :lol:

seriously, the sam1's are only ~2" taller/wider/deeper than the sjofn speakers.  yes, i know the sjofn's are designed to be placed against a wall.  that would be a non-starter for me, tho i know for many it is what makes them attractive...

thanks,

doug s.

sumadoggie

« Reply #169 on: 22 Oct 2011, 07:17 pm »

doug s.

The Clue is designed to be boundary coupled to the wall, with the direct energy from the driver + front port + floor bounce + boundary reinforcement to get the low end extension.  Stand height is supposed to be from 19-22" to maximize this effect.  It's by design.

sumadoggie

« Reply #170 on: 22 Oct 2011, 07:19 pm »

My understanding is the (the clue)'s price is steady at $999.  Sjofn HiFi decided not to jack the price up after last year's RMAF. 

WGH

« Reply #171 on: 22 Oct 2011, 08:26 pm »
(the clue) put out a lot more bass than I thought a small speaker should be capable of. I was impressed. The speakers had a wide soundstage too. A more detailed review based on a short audition in a hotel room would be impossible.

Wayne

sumadoggie

« Reply #172 on: 22 Oct 2011, 09:39 pm »
(the clue) put out a lot more bass than I thought a small speaker should be capable of. I was impressed. The speakers had a wide soundstage too. A more detailed review based on a short audition in a hotel room would be impossible.

Wayne

The Clue has had some great reviews since last year's introduction:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue53/clue.htm
http://www.stereophile.com/content/clue-sjofn-hifi

and many posts by bloggers and press since RMAF last weekend.

and, yes, I do own a pair. 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #173 on: 22 Oct 2011, 10:04 pm »
My understanding is the (the clue)'s price is steady at $999.  Sjofn HiFi decided not to jack the price up after last year's RMAF.
yes, per my link above, you can order direct from sjofn for $999.

doug s.

sumadoggie

« Reply #174 on: 23 Oct 2011, 12:08 am »
yes, per my link above, you can order direct from sjofn for $999.

doug s.

If anyone can cite a better $/sound ratio at many multiples the cost, I'm listening.  Hegel is in the ballpark: crazy sound for the money from across the pond.

Pez

« Reply #175 on: 23 Oct 2011, 03:16 am »
Anything Fritz makes is better than the clue IMO. Albeit I did not get the opportunity to hear them this year. I did hear them last year. They were good, but Fritz is better.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #176 on: 23 Oct 2011, 03:24 am »
Clue is OK, based on what I heard last year, but Pez is right - Fritz has the magic. 

Chinaski

« Reply #177 on: 23 Oct 2011, 12:25 pm »
Yes, I heard them in the DC show. I liked them a lot but thought they are butt ugly.

The production version SAM1s aren't too shabby looking?

Scottdazzle

« Reply #178 on: 23 Oct 2011, 05:25 pm »
butt ugly?  they look like almost any other two-way monitor, to me.  except, of course my beautiful ebony proac tablette reference 8 signatures!   :lol:

seriously, the sam1's are only ~2" taller/wider/deeper than the sjofn speakers.  yes, i know the sjofn's are designed to be placed against a wall.  that would be a non-starter for me, tho i know for many it is what makes them attractive...

thanks,

doug s.

I mistook them for a different speaker and have humbly and sheepishly removed my "ugly" comment. I hope you will do the same. Thanks. :oops:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #179 on: 23 Oct 2011, 05:29 pm »
That isn't the speaker I was thinking of when I made my comment.  It was a speaker with 2 different sized baffles and no cabinet. Sorry for my confusion.

ah, you musta been referring to these:

did you get to hear the little ones?

doug s.