The 10 Worst Foods you eat everyday

Johnny2Bad

Re: The 10 Worst Foods you eat everyday
« Reply #120 on: 12 Nov 2011, 02:31 am »
Steely Dan PretzelLogic … bad file (whole album) Charlie
I do [read the current literature yourself]

"An adult would have to drink about 14 cans of a sugar-free drink every day of his/her life before reaching the ADI(acceptable daily dose)"...
[snip]
provides about 6 times more methanol than the same amount of aspartame-sweetened beverage. Neither aspartame nor its components accumulates in the body over time."

Quoted from the European Food Council (EUFIC)

By "current literature" we mean the actual peer-reviewed Journal submissions.

The EUFIC is not a Government Body, it is not a Peer Reviewed Journal, it is not a researcher who practices original research and submits to academic Journals; it's an industry-funded lobby group.

" ...
EUFIC publishes a regular newsletter, FOOD TODAY, highlighting subjects of current interest and issues periodic reviews and leaflets on specific subjects. FOOD TODAY is distributed to over 48,000 scientists, educators, media and other communication multipliers.
 EUFIC is supported by companies of the European food and drinks industries
..."

-The above quoted from the EUFIC website

The FDA in 1980 rejected the approval of Searle's Nutasweet, saying more study was needed.

The FDA voted a second time in 1983 3-2 against approval, citing Searle's studies as inconclusive. That 5-member panel's recommendation was overruled by then FDA Commissioner Arthur Hull Hayes, who resigned two months later to take a position as a consultant with Searle's Public Relations firm.

Could be coincidence, I suppose.

I personally don't believe there is anything wrong with occasional use of Nutrasweet, but again, about half the peer-reviewed journal studies show issues with certain members of the population and with certain dosages in the general population. Those are almost exclusively independently funded.

The other half ... the half where more than 90% of which are industry sponsored research ... say it's as safe as water.

Taking the word of an industry sponsored lobbyist is not reviewing the current literature. Go to the peer-reviewed Journals, the source for everyone's (including the FDA and the EUFIC and the WHO, etc) original research citations and safety deliberations. That's where the real answers lie, and armed with the meat of the matter, you can make an informed decision, and if that decision is Nutrasweet is safe for you to eat (and I personally think it's safe for me, in the small amounts I normally consume, but I do know people I would not recommend it to, due to their own health conditions that are indicated in the research; I've read about a half-dozen of the 200 or so available peer-reviewed research results), then fine. But my advice (which anyone is free to ignore) would be don't take the word of those who profit from selling it to you, without checking with those who have no vested interest as well, and get it from the Peer-Reviewed literature, not the newspaper, not the manufacturer or their sponsored researchers, and not even from me. Get it from the Horse's mouth.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #121 on: 12 Nov 2011, 04:08 am »
I think you misunderstood me, when I said "I do" I was replying to your comment "You have to realize that everything is dose-related."  I wasn't saying that I read the current studies myself.  Not having any symptoms of anything why would I bother?  Besides I'm not qualified to read that stuff.  I did study History though and have a bit of training in how to find a reliable source of facts.

I admit I dropped the ball on EUFIC.  I didn't want to quote anything from the FDA as it seems to have a bit of a reputation problem and I mistakenly concluded that EUFIC was a European equivalent(European Food Safety Authority).  The facts I quoted don't seem to be disputed though.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #122 on: 19 Jul 2012, 11:56 pm »
I think I know enough of food, but I was shocked when I saw on TV a famous plastic surgeon said that of all PET plastic soda bottles and bottles of baby, is carcinogenic and inhibits the growth of the penis :o /;... because the residue bisphenol type A (BPA).
« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2012, 01:50 am by FULLRANGEMAN »

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #123 on: 15 Dec 2012, 04:42 pm »
I learned today that the pH of sodas is only 2.5 which is so low that it can leave the blood cells acids, which is the first condition for the onset of cancer.
The cancer does not appear in alkaline cells, only in acids cells.

The pH of blood is 7:35 to 7:45, a common brand water has a pH=6, which is bad, good water must have a pH of 8 or more.

2bigears

« Reply #124 on: 15 Dec 2012, 07:11 pm »
 :D  Great read,,,, you dudes know your science.  :thumb:  To dumb down here a little or ,well maybe a lot,,ha.
         Do you forget BALANCE. The answer to most things. Eat just enough good-for-you food, try for fresh.
           Do your fair share of heart and lung exercise. Even walking is soooo darn good for you.
            Do not over-do anything !!!! 
             Do try a calm lifestyle if you can,it's a very fast world,,getting faster with more demands....       
              Do not do drugs of any kind if you can help it. Big pharma has got us really screwed up..
                        :D  Simple if ya can do it ????    :D

Early B.

« Reply #125 on: 15 Dec 2012, 07:45 pm »
There's a tremendous amount of misinformation in this thread. Follow these four simple rules and you'll be fine:

1. Generally, if it's unnatural, it's unhealthy. 

This speaks for itself.

2. Eat what you already know is good for you.

Few will argue that these foods are generally good for you: fresh fruits, fresh vegetables (especially, leafy green ones), raw nuts, salads, whole grains, low/no salt, high fiber, and drinking plenty of water.   

3. Eat like a diabetic should.

Diabetics should eat several small meals throughout the day, low sugar, low salt, no/minimal meat, manage your portions, balanced meals, etc.

4. Be very skeptical about what you hear or read in the popular media about diet and food.

If there's no scientific basis for it, suspend judgment. Don't quote Dr. Oz and other "experts." In fact, the medical profession is the last place you should seek for dietary advice. They focus on medicine, not health -- they are two very different concepts. Remember -- it's in the best interest of the medical profession and the food industry to keep people sick and ignorant. There's less profit if you're healthy. 

geezer

« Reply #126 on: 15 Dec 2012, 07:56 pm »
Not so sure about grains, whole or not.

geezer

« Reply #127 on: 15 Dec 2012, 08:04 pm »
I would add wild-caught fish, especially salmon and sardines, and free range poultry, beef, lamb and pork if they are made to eat their own natural foods.

Early B.

« Reply #128 on: 15 Dec 2012, 08:40 pm »
Not so sure about grains, whole or not.

If not whole grains, then where should the bulk of your carbohydrates come from?

srb

« Reply #129 on: 15 Dec 2012, 08:50 pm »
If not whole grains, then where should the bulk of your carbohydrates come from?

Fruits and vegetables.  For vegetables, not too much of the starchy ones like potatoes, peas, etc and for fruits more emphasis on the harder, less sugary ones like apples, cherries and berries and less of the more watery, sugary ones like oranges, bananas, watermelon, etc.

Steve

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #130 on: 15 Dec 2012, 09:09 pm »
There's a tremendous amount of misinformation in this thread.
Feel free to correct me if Iam misinforming.
I think Iam giving new and useful information, not the obvious.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #131 on: 17 Dec 2012, 05:16 pm »
Why you should never use Canola oil:
http://vanessaruns.com/2011/02/08/gmos-and-why-you-should-never-use-canola-oil/
The best oil to fry is coconut, the second best is pig fat, Olive oil is great to salad not to fry.
Rapeseed is a poisonous plant, a cattle that eat this plant die.
Canola is not a plant, it is a company(Canadian Oil Low Acid)

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=18478.0

decal

« Reply #132 on: 17 Dec 2012, 05:18 pm »

Fruits and vegetables.  For vegetables, not too much of the starchy ones like potatoes, peas, etc and for fruits more emphasis on the harder, less sugary ones like apples, cherries and berries and less of the more watery, sugary ones like oranges, bananas, watermelon, etc.

Steve

Potatoes are not vegetables. Just saying.

srb

« Reply #133 on: 17 Dec 2012, 05:31 pm »
Potatoes are not vegetables. Just saying.

You're correct, technically or botanically they're tubers, but for the sake of basic nutritional discussions they fall into the vegetable category and are often referred to as starchy vegetables.  Tomatoes are technically fruits but for general discussions they are also referred to as vegetables.

Steve

Early B.

« Reply #134 on: 17 Dec 2012, 06:06 pm »
The best oil to fry is coconut, the second best is pig fat, Olive oil is great to salad not to fry.

It's not healthy to fry foods, regardless of the oil.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #135 on: 17 Dec 2012, 11:11 pm »
You right indeed. I thinking to try a titanium pan to no more use oil.

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #136 on: 18 Dec 2012, 12:18 am »

It is now believed that rapeseed has a cumulative effect, taking almost 10 years before symptoms begin to manifest

By who? Citation required....

You're not exactly providing "Science".

There are 2 sides to every story. In this case 1 side is Reality, the other side is Nonsense.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/canola.asp

ctviggen

« Reply #137 on: 18 Dec 2012, 12:43 am »

Why not?

ctviggen

« Reply #138 on: 18 Dec 2012, 12:48 am »

Steve

For those of us who are insulin resistant, we just need the low carb ones.  Typically, berries.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #139 on: 18 Dec 2012, 01:02 am »
By who? Citation required....

You're not exactly providing "Science".

There are 2 sides to every story. In this case 1 side is Reality, the other side is Nonsense.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/canola.asp
I will not trust my health to a mega company, especially medicines and food company.
Canola oil was developed for machines and then genetically modified to be food oil.
I like offer useful info to those people are unaware.
Science is useless to help people.