Latest update: LP's for sale

jackman

« on: 24 Apr 2004, 07:24 pm »
Please note, I may have sold some of these so please don't be angry if you want something and it's gone!

Correction: these were my brother's old 45'.  My wife has nailed down everything she thinks I'll sell.  All of the 45's are in really good condition, however they have some kind of powder on them that appears to be sawdust or something and some of the covers (sleeves) are shabby, but it doesn't affect play.  No visible scratches except maybe light scratches on one Madonna B side.  Some are too embarrasing (but fun) :lol: and there are at least 10 of them in the bunch.  I have actually thrown in some 45's with the records I shipped but I just found these in a box or I would have thrown them in with the records I shipped.  $6.00 for all ten!  They are:  Pet Shop Boys "Opportunities-Let's make lots of money", Falco "Rock Me Amadeus", Madonna "Like a virgin", George Michael "I want your sex", Madonna "Papa Don't Preach", Simply Red "Holding Back the Tears", Sheena Easton "Morning Train-my baby takes the...", Lionel Richie "Hello".  Heck, offer me $5.00!  I'd love to see the looks on someone's wife or friends when "I want your sex" comes blaring from the speakers or "Like a Virgin"!  Adimit it, these are fun songs!   Admit it!!!   :mrgreen:   REDUCED TO $5.00.  

Springsteen "Born in the USA" original copy with liner notes in VGC: REDUCED TO $4.00

Eagles "Hotel California" Original recording in dead mint condition with original poster. It's a bit dusty but record appears to be in mint condition (I'm the original owner and rarely played this one because I had 2 copies). Show your friends how a 30 year old vinyl recording sounds better than their $3,000 SACD player...for only $6.00

Rolling Stones "Through the Past Darkly" Big Hits Vol 2. Original pressing with octoganal cover. This album is a greatest hits album vol2. It features such hits as Honky Tonk women, Ruby Tuesday,Jumpin Jack Flash and Street Fighting Man. This album is classic Stones.This album is in its a original cover and is in great shape. $8.00

Phil Collins "...But Seriously" in perfect condition. Features the song "I wish it would rain". Received as a gift and never opened it. 15 years later, it's for sale on Audiocircle! $3.00

Steve Martin "the Steve Martin Brothers" a record of comedy and Steve's scorchin' banjo. Some scratches but the banjo work alone is worth the $2.00

Chuck Berry's greatest Hits. 28 of Chuck's songs all remastered from original session tapes and featured on a double record set. VGC: $7.00 OKAY, $5.00?  

Jerry Harrison: Casual Gods. The guitarist from the Talking Heads (along with his wife the TH's bass player) solo record. I love this record and will not be upset if it doesn't sell. That's why I'm asking $7.00 FORGET IT, NOT FOR SALE.  I love this album!

Kansas Leftoverture. Plays well with no skips: $2.00

Who "The Kids are Alright" may have a scratch and could use a cleaning. Double album $1.00

Elton John's Greatest Hits in decent condition (I bought this one a long time ago): $2.00

Ministry "With Sympathy" in EC: $4.00

Rolling Stones "High Tides and Green Grass" the greatest hits from the '60's. featuring Satisfaction, Time is on my side, Heart of Stone, 19th nervous breakdown, not fade away, play with fire, it's all over now, the last time, etc. Great record. Also includes a booklet with lots of Stones pictures. In decent shape and will include a copy of "Got Live if you Want it" Live album: $5.00

Bad Company "Run with the Pack" in VGC. Great record in very good shape. Recorded in 1975, original copy: $5.00

ABC Lexicon of Love: in great shape, don't know much about the music $2.00 obo!

INXS "the Swing" in Good condition: $3.00
INXS "Shabooh Shabooh" some light scratches, I'm not taking any chances: $1.00

Go West "Dancing on the Couch" in VGC from '87. Original recording $3.00
Debbie Harry "French Kiss" EP unopened: $2.00

The Cover Girls "The Fever...catch it" $1.00 in perfect shape.

EP of "Boom Boom (Let's go back to my room)" in Excellent condition. large size 45 rpm record $1.00...heck, free with any purchase. Strange record.

Communards debut album in EC: Here is a review on Amazon. Don't buy unless you are not afraid of strange stuff! oh, and it's only $2.00. This record seems a bit gay.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004RKIJ/qid=1082937564/sr=2-1/ref= ...

Suzanne Vega "Suzanne Vega" Debut album. No skips but some light scratches that may be removed with a good cleaning. $2.00

Temptations Greatest Hits. You know the songs, you know the look, you know the dance moves...er, maybe not the dance moves but you know all these great songs on this record (in really good !)from Motown's finest (My Girl, Aint' too proud to beg, I wish it would rain, cloud nine, runaway child, running wild, I can't get next to you, Psychedelic Shack, Ball of confusion, Just my imagination, Papa was a rollin' stone! Come on, does it get any better than this? Not for $7.00 it doesn't!

Van Halen "Van Halen" debut album in VG condition. Original pressing from '83, IMO, the best Van Halen album ever and one of the best Rock Guitar albums of all time. I have two of these and will keep one just in case. Needs a cleaning but no scratches or scuffs: $5.00

Michael Jackson 1973 LP: A Man and His Music.  A 10 year old Michael shows why he originally gained fame...he could really sing!  This one is in excellent condition and appears to have never been played.  On MoTown label.  Worth the $6.00 for the ironically titled track "Too Young"...who would have thought those same words would haunt Jackson 30 years later!  
Thanks!

bhagwan

LPs
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2004, 09:23 pm »
You have a PM

jackman

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2004, 09:44 pm »
Thanks.  I answered your message.

J

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2004, 11:35 pm »
Everything has been consolidated into the first thread!

orthobiz

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2004, 11:58 pm »
This is one of the saddest posts I've seen yet. You've sold the TT, now selling the records. Records are sacred documents, many never to be reissued.

My records are among my most prized possession. Over the years my wife has convinced me to get rid of certain things I'll never use again, but she knows the records will never go. (If I die, I'm sure they'll all be at the roadside on the very next garbage day!) My TT was out of commission for 13 yrs, now it's back up again in all its glory and I'm listening like crazy. And buying new vinyl.

I know this record sale is for a good cause, and I would buy some records from you, but most of what I want from your collection I already have. Which makes us musically kindred spirits.

And makes reading your list even more sad.

Biz

jackman

« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2004, 11:59 pm »
Consolidated into the first thread...

jackman

« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2004, 12:44 am »
Hi Biz,

Thanks for the kind words.  Sometimes when I get too attached to things I give them away.  It hurts a bit to sell many of these records but I'm hoping people will appreciate them (and use them) more than I was able to do over the last couple years.  It hurts me more to sell my guitars, which I truly love, but the thought of other people making beautiful music on them (much better than I ever could) and appreciating them more than I probably have, somehow makes it a lot easier to stomach.  

The thought of selling everything I own is one of the most exhilarating ones that I can imagine...other than Rebecca Romjen Stamos (soon to be EX) doing Pilates in a thong.  Nothing can compete with that, so this will have to do!

Cheers!

Jackman

jackman

« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2004, 02:14 pm »
Hi everyone,

Thank you for the excellent responses I received to this sale.  Most of the records went much faster than I envisioned.  So fast that I'm out of boxes and leaving for a business trip this afternoon (need to pack!) :o .  I will ship everything that I haven't shipped on Friday and email you with the information.  Everything will be securely packed and I do whatever is necessary to make sure you are happy with your purchase.  

A couple things really surprised me about the sale.  Two of my favorite albums, okay, three didn't sell.  They are all in VG or at least good playable condition and I almost didn't put them up for sale because they are awesome and I will probably regret it.  For the heck of it, check them out at Amazon and listen to some of the songs.  Maybe I'm nuts but they are amazing records that I must replace on CD.  For those of you who are not in to records and only play CD's, you may want to look for them on CD or buy them new.  They are worth it.  I'm going to look for the CD's immediately.  

The albums are:

* Steely Dan "Can't buy a Thrill" great album (and CD)
* Sinead O'Connor "Lion and the Cobra" still one of my favorites.  Not what you think from Sinead.  I will buy the CD as soon as I find it
* Van Halen 1 (debut album).  Van Halen before all the hype and before anyone ever played guitar like that.  Eddie used a modded strat that he slapped together (only used bridge PU).  Before he received commercial deals to play other guitars (those crazy Kramers, Music Man, etc.).  If "Eruption" was the only song on the record, it would still be worth getting.  Also, if Eddie only put out this album, he would still be considered a guitar God.

I don't care if I sell these, but I know that I'll get them on CD as soon as I find them.  

Lastly, I decided to sell every CD and DVD that I haven't listened to or watched in the last year.  No exceptions!  I've got lots of CD's that I once loved and listened to a lot that fall into this category.  Will put them up as soon as I come back to town.  Will be in a separate thread.

Thanks!

Jack

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2004, 03:32 pm »
hi jack,

well, forgive me for not liking eddie, but if it makes ya feel any better, the only reason i dint ask for the other two is that i awreddy have 'em!   :wink:

regards,

doug s.

Quote from: jackman
"...A couple things really surprised me about the sale. Two of my favorite albums, okay, three didn't sell. They are all in VG or at least good playable condition and I almost didn't put them up for sale because they are awesome and I will probably regret it. For the heck of it, check them out at Amazon and listen to some of the songs. Maybe I'm nuts but they are amazing records that I must replace on CD. For those of you who are not in to records and only play CD's, you may want to look for them on CD or buy them new. They are worth it. I'm going to look for the CD's immediately.

The albums are:

* Steely Dan "Can't buy a Thrill" great album (and CD)
* Sinead O'Connor "Lion and the Cobra" still one of my favorites. Not what you think from Sinead. I will buy the CD as soon as I find it
* Van Halen 1 (debut album). Van Halen before all the hype and before anyone ever played guitar like that. Eddie used a modded strat that he slapped together (only used bridge PU). Before he received commercial deals to play other guitars (those crazy Kramers, Music Man, etc.). If "Eruption" was the only song on the record, it would still be worth getting. Also, if Eddie only put out this album, he would still be considered a guitar God.
"...

jackman

« Reply #9 on: 27 Apr 2004, 03:44 pm »
Whew!  I feel better.  Eddie is not everyone's cup of tea (I like the first album a lot) but the other two are awesome.  You obviously have great taste :D .  It's a shame about Sinead O'Conner.  Her first album was absolute Magic.  The Steely Dan album is also interesting because it's the only one that I know of that has a different singer on some tracks. Don't think they will be doing that again, even though he has a great voice.  

All three albums have something in common, I think, they are all debut albums (not  sure about Steely Dan but I think it's the debut).  They also represent the best work of each artist.  Some would argue that Asia or some of the later albums (I have most on CD) were better, but Can't Buy a Thrill is my personal favorite.  Sinead's first is absolutely her best even though no singles came off this album (maybe Mandinka which got a little airplay) but none were as big as the later songs that gave her some notariaty.  This album is sheer emotion from one of the most unique singers I have heard.  I might have her second record somewhere but I think I recall flinging it across the room after one listen.  It was nothing like her first.  

I have a bunch of records that I can't locate.  Some Jazz from Stanley Jordan, some classical that was never played and lots of stuff from the Smiths and Eurithmics (at one time a band a really liked).  Maybe even some New Order and Joy Division that must be in the attic at my parent's house.   Don't know if this is music an "audiophile" would appreciate but I loved it at one time during my life.  You will all know when I find it because I'll put it  for sale on this site before Audiogon.

Cheers,

Jack

randog

« Reply #10 on: 27 Apr 2004, 09:25 pm »
Quote from: jackman
Bozz Scaggs "Other Roads". I don't know Boz but I dated a bunch of Scags or were they Skanks? Er, anyway, this one is in great shape (wish I could say the same for some of those skanks!) and yours for $2.00...worth it for the clever banter alone. *SOLD*

Boz Scaggs has 2 great albums... in fact they are his first 2 albums entitled: Boz Scaggs and Band and... er, uh... Boz Scaggs. They are as different from his pop stuff as the original Journey was to the Steve Perry crap (am I dating myself here?)  :wink: On Boz Scaggs and Band his hair is down near his waist as I recall (ok I may be exagerrating a bit)  8)

I would like to find these in LP vinyl (hint, if anyone has them).

Randog

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2004, 06:02 am »
Hey Jackman,
    You mentioned selling guitars off to...did you sell them already ?? :) [/list:u]

jackman

« Reply #12 on: 28 Apr 2004, 11:13 am »
Not yet but I'll post some cool pix in my gallery soon.  

J

jackman

« Reply #13 on: 2 May 2004, 04:56 pm »
Okay, list should be easier to read.  Several prices have been reduced.  Please let me know if anyone has any questions regarding the records.  To all of you who have purchased records, I have included some free records with your purchase.  Some of the free ones need a good cleaning but they should work well.  Hope you like them!

Jack

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #14 on: 2 May 2004, 06:00 pm »
Quote from: randog
Boz Scaggs has 2 great albums... in fact they are his first 2 albums entitled: Boz Scaggs and Band and... er, uh... Boz Scaggs.  

I would like to find these in LP vinyl (hint, if anyone has them).

Randog

Seem to be available on eBay--
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=4010272075&rd=1

You're right that "Somebody Loan Me a Dime" is vastly different than the pop stuff.

jackman

« Reply #15 on: 3 May 2004, 01:30 am »
Another reason I will never make it in the music business.  My favorite albums haven't sold!  The I may keep the Sinead O'Conner record because it will probably be impossible to get another copy the day I decide to get back into vinyl.  Knowing me, that day will come.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me out with this sale.  I really hope you all enjoy the records!

Jack

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #16 on: 3 May 2004, 02:12 am »
Ever see the Brit cover of the Sinead LP???  Obviously from the same photo session, but a different pose--

The US cover is a bit more restrained--

jackman

« Reply #17 on: 3 May 2004, 02:33 am »
Yow! :o   That's a totally different vibe, although I really like that record.  She kind've self-destructed and never seemed to capture the magic of her first effort.  It's a shame because I had high hopes for someone who could express herself in such a unique way.

Thanks!

Jack

jackman

« Reply #18 on: 17 Aug 2004, 03:35 pm »
BUMP.  Not much left and I'm highly motivated to get rid of anything vinyl in my house for lack of space.  Getting hardwood floors and new carpets installed next week.  Everything I get rid of is one less thing I have to move.  

All serious offers considered, especially if they are from people who have already bought records from me and people from this site.   Thanks!

Jck