Unofficial RMAF 2011 Thread for GR-Research

TrungT

Re: Unofficial RMAF 2011 Thread for GR-Research
« Reply #40 on: 18 Oct 2011, 10:06 pm »
Kenreau
You are welcome.  :wink:
You may want to drop Dave or ADD a note, and you can check out few post on Pi group threads about those thing.
or some here http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=99677.msg1004097#msg1004097

LarryB

« Reply #41 on: 19 Oct 2011, 12:12 am »
It was a blast hanging out with (in no particular order) Danny, Dave, Gary, Eric, Rich, and Chris (I hope I didn't omit anyone!), and I hope you all got home safely.

The group deserves special kudos for their efforts in using acoustical treatments to properly set up the room; most other exhibitors ignore this critical aspect entirely, a few make half-assed efforts, but almost none go to the lengths that Danny et al. do.  The other exhibitors would be well-advised to learn from you guys.

Best regards,

Larry
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2011, 01:13 am by LarryB »

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #42 on: 19 Oct 2011, 02:18 am »
Kudos on the great sound quality show reports.  I read on another thread that the acoustical room treatments GR Research employed helped tremendously.  I see a matrix of black dowels / pipes / or??? in this back ground.  Does anyone have more information on what was utilized here?

Thanks,
Kenreau
Those are PI audio group ABB2 and Mr. T diffusers.  You can read a bit about them on my circle, but there will be an info release next week.

It took over two YEARS to find a consistent (fingers crossed here) foam supplier that we are happy with from a quality standpoint.  Jeez, it took a while.......................

Dave

SoCalWJS

« Reply #43 on: 19 Oct 2011, 02:39 am »
Forgot to ask - what was the piece used to "calibrate" the bass with the 18 Hz bass line?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #44 on: 19 Oct 2011, 02:41 am »
Those are PI audio group ABB2 and Mr. T diffusers.  You can read a bit about them on my circle, but there will be an info release next week.

It took over two YEARS to find a consistent (fingers crossed here) foam supplier that we are happy with from a quality standpoint.  Jeez, it took a while.......................

Dave

Dave-

I will be looking for info on these. Got permission from my wife to swing the book cases in the front corners intead of squared up (probably not 45 degrees - more like 30 - does that make a difference?), then gonna shove a bunch of oversized pillows behind them ("storage") and see if there is a difference.

Got some heavy duty cardboard today for the upper corners to make templates.

Fingers crossed.

Hoping she'll go for ABB2's/Mr T's. WAF.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #45 on: 19 Oct 2011, 03:37 am »
Dave-

I will be looking for info on these. Got permission from my wife to swing the book cases in the front corners intead of squared up (probably not 45 degrees - more like 30 - does that make a difference?), then gonna shove a bunch of oversized pillows behind them ("storage") and see if there is a difference.

Got some heavy duty cardboard today for the upper corners to make templates.

Fingers crossed.

Hoping she'll go for ABB2's/Mr T's. WAF.
Hey, all you can do is all you can do.  Doing anything is more than most people will bite off.  I say it over and over: the room is the most important interconnect on the system.

The 18hz 808 drop is from Pete Belasco's "Deeper" on the album by the same name.

Report back, OK?

Dave

SoCalWJS

« Reply #46 on: 19 Oct 2011, 03:46 am »
Hey, all you can do is all you can do.  Doing anything is more than most people will bite off.  I say it over and over: the room is the most important interconnect on the system.

The 18hz 808 drop is from Pete Belasco's "Deeper" on the album by the same name.

Report back, OK?

Dave

Will do.

You were right about the toe-in. Now trial and error on how much.

It's weird though. When I did the initial repositioning, the improvement was easy to tell. When my wife got home, I tried to show her the difference, but it was now not as noticable. Probably just due to the time of day and worse background conditions (power, heat, etc.)

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #47 on: 19 Oct 2011, 03:25 pm »
Will do.

You were right about the toe-in. Now trial and error on how much.

It's weird though. When I did the initial repositioning, the improvement was easy to tell. When my wife got home, I tried to show her the difference, but it was now not as noticable. Probably just due to the time of day and worse background conditions (power, heat, etc.)
Yeah, conditions change during the day.  Sound systems almost always sound their best late at night when the industrial users and people next door are off of the grid.  I know a guy that can help you with the power during those other times  :lol:

Toe is hard to nail.  Make sure you use several different types of music to get it just right.

Dave

Danny Richie

« Reply #48 on: 19 Oct 2011, 04:24 pm »
What a trip.....  I am still playing catch up.

The trip for me started off pretty tough as the old Suburban decided that it's transmission was through pulling a loaded trailer about 3 hours into the trip. So my first big thanks goes out to my wife and my dad for heading my way with two more Suburban's. So I unloaded my Suburban into dad's and my wife took my dad home. And my Suburban was left in Clarendon for repairs.

My next big thanks goes out to all of the guys that shared my exhibit room with me, loaned gear, or helped with packing and unpacking to set the room up. You guys all know who you are and what you did. So big thanks, Gary, Dave, Eric, Darrell, Kevin, Rich, Chris, Scott, Mark, George, and Ruben.

More thoughts later about the show and the sound...
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2011, 04:11 pm by Danny »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #49 on: 19 Oct 2011, 06:15 pm »
Can the 8" servo be used in a sealed application?  Or just OB?

Can we see some data on them?

Danny when you get a chance.   :D

Danny Richie

« Reply #50 on: 19 Oct 2011, 06:43 pm »
Danny when you get a chance.   :D

Some new 8's have been made with a lower Qts for a sealed box application as well.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #51 on: 19 Oct 2011, 06:44 pm »
Some new 8's have been made with a lower Qts for a sealed box application as well.

I have more questions.  Should I just email you?   :peek:

Danny Richie

« Reply #52 on: 19 Oct 2011, 07:48 pm »
I have more questions.  Should I just email you?   :peek:

Better yet, just give me a call. 940-592-3400

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #53 on: 19 Oct 2011, 07:50 pm »

Better yet, just give me a call. 940-592-3400

Now that's service!   :thumb:

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #54 on: 20 Oct 2011, 04:06 am »

This is good news.  While I want to someday put together a full quad of the 12" OB subs.  These 8" subs might be easier to integrate into my new and smaller apartment.

I could potentially use ob subs for my mancave but the living room, aka my girlfriend's space, just needs a small sub to fill in the bottom a bit.  A sealed single or dual 8" sub could be just the ticket. Especially if it has a servo amp behind it. :eyebrows:

Skiman

« Reply #55 on: 20 Oct 2011, 04:09 am »
I stopped by on Friday, and greatly enjoyed the music. Probably my favorite room at RMAF. Unlike last year, however, it wasn't possible to play an individual's CD with the new system. Danny was perfectly willing, but could only play music already loaded in the server. In my humble opinion, this is a huge shortcoming. Listening and mentally comparing the sound of music that an individual is familiar with and has experienced in their home system, as well as other rooms at RMAF, can make all the difference in the world. Especially since your room sound better. 

grubyhalo

« Reply #56 on: 20 Oct 2011, 05:11 am »
Hello Danny,

How high can the servo 8's play? Thanks!

Danny Richie

« Reply #57 on: 20 Oct 2011, 01:26 pm »
Hello Danny,

How high can the servo 8's play? Thanks!

300Hz, limited by the range of the amp.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #58 on: 20 Oct 2011, 03:17 pm »
I stopped by on Friday, and greatly enjoyed the music. Probably my favorite room at RMAF. Unlike last year, however, it wasn't possible to play an individual's CD with the new system. Danny was perfectly willing, but could only play music already loaded in the server. In my humble opinion, this is a huge shortcoming. Listening and mentally comparing the sound of music that an individual is familiar with and has experienced in their home system, as well as other rooms at RMAF, can make all the difference in the world. Especially since your room sound better.
Yep, thank Apple for that.  The new 2011 Mini does not have the super drive internal. Add to that the fact that we had all of the USB slots on it filled up and , well... duh!  I'm sure that we will NOT make that mistake again.  I had a 32GB stick full of music that I never mentioned or pulled out.  It was zany enough and adding that to the mix would have taken us over the edge.

Next year  :thumb:

Dave

rockdrummer

« Reply #59 on: 22 Oct 2011, 04:24 am »
I'm interested in uses and characteristics of these 8 inch servos, too.  I assume there will be information up on GR's website eventually, right?  I would love to keep asking questions but I will try to be patient and wait.  Tough though....

Ben