Re: A sweet 2 channel system for $XXXX?
« Reply #20 on: 19 Oct 2011, 03:44 pm »
Guess i should they are available from madisound

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #21 on: 19 Oct 2011, 03:52 pm »
a few comments. 

if you're patient, a used empire turntable can be had for $300, or even less, & is a far better turntable. 

if you are into clean detailed sound, (and i assume you are, as you like ribbons), i would pass on the zu's.  while i do think they're nice, they are lacking in detail, and i, for one, could not be satisfied w/them for long term listening.  (i'd love to hear the sam1's, and strongly recommend you try to search out a pair.)

up the budget a little and try to find a nice used dac for that cdp...

in any ewent, you are in for a good time!   :thumb:

doug s.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #22 on: 19 Oct 2011, 04:20 pm »
These should scratch your ribbon tweeter itch.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1322981866&/Aurum-Cantus-Leisure-2se-speak

I've heard this model and they are very good for the money.  I don't know that they'll hit as low as you're wanting but a decent sub can be added later for not a whole lotta dough.  Price is right on this pair too!

As for electronics, what you've picked out probably sounds real good.  But I would consider something like a Rogue Tempest integrated.  90 watts of KT88 bliss, remote, headphone and optional phono stage.  You can find the original versions (they're now up to Mk III, I think) for under $1,000.  You could also get a non-Magnum Rogue Cronus for around a grand (phono, headphone and remote standard) but I think the Tempest is the better sounding unit.

ckwase

« Reply #23 on: 20 Oct 2011, 12:00 am »
Madisound has a really good deal on a Fountek ribbon monitor kit. If you are really set on ribbon tweeters i doubt you could do any better for 300 bucks. Thinking about getting them myself for a winter project.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2-way-speaker-kits/fountek-rm6k-kit-6.5-ribbon-monitor-parts-only/

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
« Reply #24 on: 20 Oct 2011, 12:10 am »
I have heard those aurum cantus speakers with a small holiday amp and it is the whole reason I started on this voyage but I forgot the name of the speaker...I think I am in love...maybe some wedding money can go toward these

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #25 on: 20 Oct 2011, 12:11 am »
Let me know how that sounds, I've almost pulled the trigger on that exact kit like 7 times but my health blows and I'd have to get someone to slap them in some PE cabs for me...so let me know how they sound please!!! I've gotta try them someday.....like you said...for $295.00 its a no brainer, if the crossover isn't to your likeing at least you have something to start with....its a true ribbon also...

sharpsuxx

« Reply #26 on: 23 Oct 2011, 10:43 pm »
 :cry: So my...now wife :D, put the kaibasch (sp?) on the secondary listening room so I need to do me some upgrades to my main system fro vinyl insertion.  I want to try and incorporate the tube sound with my very capable Yamaha RX-1800 providing the power, so here is what I am thinking.

Pro-ject Debut 3 Turntable
Bellari Tube Phono stage (There are some tube phono's on Ebay that have tube pre and Phono stages, Any good?)
Upgrade X-sls to the floor standing N2x (Need to borrow someone in St. Louis's workshop or pay whatever fee to have a good carpenter handle it for me)
Upgrade speaker cable DIY to something a little more simple for the front channels (Solid Core rather than braided core probably)
Upgrade my MTM center channel to an N3x for proper voicing for movies
New Media tower for the living room to accomodate new gear...
Enjoy Vinyl Bliss!!

Ebay link for the Phono/pre thing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAQIN-MS-12B-Stereo-Tube-Preamplifier-and-Phono-Stage-/130591272871?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item1e67d8afa7

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #27 on: 25 Oct 2011, 04:04 am »
That Yaqin has a disturbingly low ouput voltage.  I wouldn't recommend it.

I would recommend stretching for something better like the Jolida JD9 phono preamp.

sharpsuxx

« Reply #28 on: 25 Oct 2011, 05:10 pm »
Is the Bellari ok, I was hoping to find a Tube Pre/ Phono for under 300 and I couldn't find one other than this.  I have read good review on this around the web but have yet to hear one.  I would rather not spend more on my phono than on my TT, being cheap and cheerful and all.  I have read decent things about the sound on the bellari plus it has better support but no pre stage  :(.  What is the primary concern of a low output voltage from a phono?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #29 on: 25 Oct 2011, 05:24 pm »
Here is a link to one from Todd The Vinyl Junkie's website, its a Bellari VP29 for like $76.00 its SS but they have tubed one VP130 for like $250 that I would try if I had the cash...here is the website
https://www.ttvjaudio.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=404

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #30 on: 25 Oct 2011, 08:05 pm »
I've read mixed reviews on the Belari.  I was about ready to buy one myself but I read an article about the design and it wasn't complimentary.  I can't remember the details except to say electrically speaking you can do better.  It's a poor design that doesn't utilize the tube in the best way.  Once again you get what you pay for.

It shouldn't matter which one costs more.  If you want great sound, every piece in the chain should be as good as you can get.  Again this is my opinion and I haven't actually heard the belari.  If you can find a dealer that can loan you one then you could judge for yourself.  For all I know it could be just what you wanted.  I'm pretty picky about my sound and I ended up getting the Cambridge Audio 640P.  It's solid state but I have a tube preamp and amps already.

Are you planning to use your receiver as a stand alone amp or are you using it for multichannel as well?  You only need a preamp if you're using the receiver as a simple amplifier (and have direct amp inputs).

sharpsuxx

« Reply #31 on: 25 Oct 2011, 10:26 pm »
No offense to those that look at electrical layouts and look for the ideal design but a "different" sound to me may or may not equate to a "better" sound.  Whether it is made properly or not if I like the sound, I like the sound.  I am well aware that certain components are snake oil, or absolute garbage and do nothing but introduce foul sounding noise but I usually let my ears and pocket book make final decision for me.  I may still buy the Yaqin but possibly from Grant Audio for a hopefully better return policy in case I hate it or can't tell a difference between it and the integrated phono stage in the Yamaha. 

I do plan to use the very capable amps in the Yamaha simply as amps through the multi-channel input and avoid the digital signal paths at least when it comes to Redbooks and Vinyl.  Thus the desire for a preamp to control the gain stage externally when listening to music and (putting a tube in the signal path?) to change the sound to something slightly warmer (possibly).  I am new to the tube game, I would rather just buy a tube 2 channel amp and use the Yamaha as a pre-amp and may still due so, or even better just have a seperate listening room, but I am limited by what momma wants.  Lots of set up concerns still but I figured if I was using a tube phono I may as well use a tube pre if possible, unless there are significantly better tube phonos without pre-amps sections in the sub $300 range.

I have been reading reviews and based on what I can find the Bellari and Yaqin get the same knocks and props so on paper, at least from my experience they are both mediocre.  Given unlimited funds I would redo my whole system or buy much better gear.

Fortunately Danny is sending me a pair of N2Xs to demo in my system and hopefully the sound of a different speaker will get me past my tube upgrade obsession and save me a few days of overtime.

sharpsuxx

« Reply #32 on: 31 Oct 2011, 11:05 pm »
So just got a great deal on a Pro-ject debut 3, now I need to pick a phone.  Anybody know where I could get a good deal on Jolida JD-9 like under $300?  Otherwise Yaqin MS-22b here I come.

Can't wait to try out Dany's N2Xs in my system.

jackman

« Reply #33 on: 31 Oct 2011, 11:21 pm »
I would suggest:

Pioneer SXA9 Receiver - it is a slick little receiver.  Dual mono, with phone pre, headphone amp, and USB connection for your computer. ~$500

Pro-ject or MM5 Turntable $400

Pioneer Pioneer SP-BS21-LR  on Woot for $69

Epik or Rythmk subwoofer ~$600-700

Inexpensive cables

Computer with USB for source, or Squeezebox.