Classic car found!

mcgsxr

Classic car found!
« on: 8 Oct 2011, 02:04 pm »
I started a thread earlier in the summer, asking for ideas for a classic I was in the hunt for.

My father in law used to restore T Birds (he had 6 different mid 60's ones during the mid to late 70's), so my wife favoured Thunderbirds over other choices.

I narrowed my search to just 60's T Birds, and over the course of the summer I saw and drove 7 in my limited price range.

I had hoped that as the Fall here in Canada arrived, some prices would drop.

As luck would have it, a family friend (and Technical Advisor for the local Thunderbird Club) put me onto a car 90 miles from me.  I drove out last week, had a look.  Drove it down to the local mechanic, put it up on the hoist and had a look.  Very clean down there.

It is a 1969 Thunderbird.  28K original miles.  429 cubic inch motor, 4 barrel carb, 3 speed auto C6 trans, 9 inch rear end.  Very good condition.

AM radio only, but you cannot have everything!

mcgsxr

Re: Classic car found!
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2011, 02:08 pm »
It is a 2 owner car, and was always garaged.

Original paint - heck only the plugs, brake pads and resonators are not original from Detroit 42 years ago!

Pretty excited to get it, it will be trailered to me this week.  Going to be a long winter with that tucked in the garage, but Spring should great!

I know that the 67-71 T Birds (known as Glamor Birds) are not everyone's cup of tea, but I am just looking for a nice cruiser for the family anyway so the depressed values played right into my limited budget!

My father in law is like a 5 year old, he cannot wait until it gets here so he can come over for a spin.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2011, 02:27 pm »
A beatiful car :thumb:

orthobiz

« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2011, 03:06 pm »
Cool, enjoy.

Paul

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2011, 03:36 pm »
Sweet ride.  :thumb:  You & the family will be crusin' in style. Now all you need is a Drive-in to hang out at.  8)

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct 2011, 04:03 pm »
Man that is so Clean....I think you know how lucky you are to find one with that low mileage and only a few things not original....man oh man thats gotta be worth twice what you paid for it in the correct circles....Enjoy!!!! :thumb:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 8 Oct 2011, 04:45 pm »
Sweet.  I dated a girl in college who owned one.  She definitely loved the car more than me!!!  Never let me drive it either!!!

JfTM

« Reply #7 on: 8 Oct 2011, 04:53 pm »
Congrats!!!

An awesome find.

I'm a GM man myself but there is room in this world for everyone.

I hear some people actually think they like McIntosh audio gear  :)

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #8 on: 10 Oct 2011, 04:54 am »
When I was a kid, the lady that lived in the next house north of my parent's house had a 66 T-bird convertible in Black.  It had the white interior.

Such a great looking car.

HsvHeelFan

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2011, 01:23 pm »
I really like the mid 60's convertibles, but they tended to run 2-3x my budget!

I recognize that the Glamor Birds are likely currently the least collectible, but for me it is more about enjoying the toy.

Here are a few more pics of how it looks.  Getting pretty excited to get it home this week!

flintstone

« Reply #10 on: 10 Oct 2011, 07:46 pm »
That is a sweet ride  :beer: ...........congrats on the find!

I had a car exactly like this black one for around 10 years (460ci/375hp).....it rode like a dream). I sold it to a friend, and he kept it for another 10 years or so.

TONEPUB

« Reply #11 on: 10 Oct 2011, 08:25 pm »
cool car

mcgsxr

« Reply #12 on: 13 Oct 2011, 11:09 pm »
Well, I can assure you that a modern garage when filled with a 2007 Hyundai van and a 1969 T Bird is FULL!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2011, 08:12 pm »
Minty Mark!  Looks phantastic for a 42yo vehicle. Enjoy.

StereoNut

« Reply #14 on: 14 Oct 2011, 08:24 pm »
Nice!!!  Good luck with the new toy.  :thumb:

SN

Tubeburner

« Reply #15 on: 14 Oct 2011, 09:50 pm »
Nice find. You can increase value for little money by installing the correct Ford hose wire clamps and checking original cars for the small changes from factory build. If you get the build sheet from Ford and document the car, the value goes up.

Nice find!

mcgsxr

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jan 2012, 06:15 pm »
I have the original build sheet and owners manual.  I also had a Marti report done on the car.  It ends up being a somewhat rare due to the specific combo of options, but overall there were many built in 1969.

I have purchased all the gear I will need to build a fun audio system for this car.  More importantly, I have sourced spare door panels and kick panels so I can remove and store the original parts, and cut up the spares to my heart's content.

I will leave the existing AM mono setup functional and in place in the dash.

I bought a 3 way set of DLS speakers (basically Vifa components), a Zapco AG360.4 4 channel amp, can reuse a 10 inch sub I have, and found a way to use my iPod Touch to stream to the amp - no head unit requred.  That streaming device is called an Audioengine W2.

So, in time I will have decent audio in the car, and maintain a mostly stock appearance (other than the trunk).

Pic of amp below.