Which amp are you running with your MMG's?

Rclark

Which amp are you running with your MMG's?
« on: 7 Oct 2011, 10:49 pm »
 Because.. I just put batteries on my Virtue Two.2 and I feel like I could put this amp/PS combination up against anything used on MMG's, and even huge dollar amps, and come out favorably. Effortless and huge and ridiculously detailed, with the blackest of noise floors. This is profound sound quality. Absolutely profound. And laughing all the way to the bank.

I was happy as a clam with the LS-10a linear supply, big powerful supply.. but batteries are just unreal.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Which amp are you running with your MMG's?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2011, 12:43 am »
I've used Carver M1.0t, Carver M500, Carver M500t (all modified by RichP from thecarversite), VTL MB250s and now a Harman Kardon Citation 22.

I haven't heard any Virtue gear but perhaps I should do so.

Rclark

« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2011, 12:54 am »
 You've got the big boys.. 3.7's. I would suggest auditioning the THREE when it comes out here soon. With a 55volt battery kit.

PS, as an aside, Bob Carver is a local guy, and my buddy.. is buddies with him. I'll be going over there eventually.

Anyway, just put in the Rush R30 Bluray (my current benchmark), Tom Saywer, and I would use the word flabbergasted. Who was it that said Maggies don't have dynamics? On a Two.2 with batteries I get enough clean, audiophile level spl to drive you out of the room. And it doesn't strain at those levels. It is in every way superior to my big linear supply. It's almost like getting a new amp.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2011, 11:19 pm »
You should get over to meet the Bobfather - he's a fun guy to be around as he's so enthusiastic about audio gear.  He could be so snooty but he's anything but. 
I met him a few years back at Carverfest; I don't know if he remembers me but tell him I said hello, anyways.
How long does the battery last?

Rclark

« Reply #4 on: 9 Oct 2011, 11:41 pm »
 That's the neat part, you simply leave the charger permanently attached to the batteries! If for some reason you wanted to run off charger, and there is no reason to do so, I'm told the music will play for several hours.

My buddy accidently broke the battery harness (wierd accident), and I have a new one enroute. We had to switch back to the Astron LS-10a to keep playing music, and going from the batteies back to the PS was such a large change that I found listening nearly unpalatable. Shocked me because this is the sound I was raving about before. Battery power adds just so so much, the sound was just the sweetest, juiciest.. with dead black noise floor. Even dynamics, everything improves greatly. And the Astron is a nice supply! But batteries are sublime, I can't wait to get a new harness and possibly not leave the room for a week.

If you have the opportunity to hear a Virtue amp on batteries, or any nice amp on batteries, I can't suggest it highly enough.

Made enough of an impact on me that I intend to go batteries on everything as far as I can go. The Warpspeed I will purchase is a light based optocoupler, battery powered. I can get a Dodd buffer, battery powered. I can replace my XDA-1 dac eventually with the Virtue dac when it comes out, also battery powered.

The heck with expensive power conditioners and power cables. I'm convinced with batteries, this is where it's at.

For yourself, you will need more power than me with your 3.7's. I understand the new Three will produce between 2 and 250 watts into 4ohms off a 55 volt battery supply, and the battery supply will be able to provide you with HUGE current for your Maggies.

I believe they are unveiling at RMAF.

(if on the off chance you end up preordering, make sure to ask Jason to build yours with ClarityCap MR's like I have in my TWO)

Edit: looks like still in development  :D

..Seth Krinsky, CEO, holding an early prototype of the Three.
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2011, 07:52 pm by Rclark »

virtue

• Industry Participant
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #5 on: 11 Oct 2011, 02:25 pm »
Reza,

The plug was unecessary but nevertheless appreciated. Unfortunately, I jumped the gun on the THREE.

If Steve Jobs would not pre-announce products in development, why did I throw caution to the wind?  Twice, two years apart.

So we've again delayed release of the THREE and bagged on RMAF completely.  There was enough uncertainty 45 days ago that I did NOT buy a room, however until last week, a cameo was possible.  I hope you will accept my apologies and big hugs for your enthusiasm.

Sensation is still in stock and at 20% off (SENSATION20) is an outstanding value.  It's very pretty too.

Seth

Davey

« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2011, 04:29 pm »
This seems like a salesman thread for the Virtue amps, but I'll get it back on track.

I use an Outlaw Audio 7075 amp for my bi(tri)-amped MMG setup.  Excellent value in these amps.
In case you're not aware these amps are built/sourced from ATI in California.

Cheers,

Dave.

virtue

• Industry Participant
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #7 on: 11 Oct 2011, 05:23 pm »
Thanks, Dave.  Apologies to other readers.  Feel free to delete posts here, etc.

Rclark

« Reply #8 on: 11 Oct 2011, 06:42 pm »
 The Outlaw RR2250 (I believe it's called) was my first tentative choice as an uber noob when I was just looking. I'm totally pumped when I landed on the amp I do have. I honestly, especially now, feel like I won the amp lottery (and speakers too).

I think if you had had such an experience we had over here attaching the battery kit and going to town, I can assure you, you'd have written this exact same thread I did! You'd want people to know!

If you live in Washington state and feel like hearing for yourself, feel free to swing by  :thumb:.

Trust me, I don't get anything for my enthusiasm, I am speaking quite earnestly. The whole point of this forum is giving our impressions of the products on offer. Does Outlaw stir you the same way?

I asked Seth to comment in here as I support what he does as an extremely happy customer. We all are, us Virtue owners.

Anyone running big tube amps, otl's? Curious to know what that's like as well.

Davey

« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2011, 04:54 pm »
Rclark,

One of the nice things about AC is the area for Manufacturers Circles (Seth has one) where users can gush about their products.  It makes for a good echo chamber where everyone can tell each other what they want to hear.

Anyways, this (Planar circle) area should be generic in nature.....and your post even has a generic title, but immediately transformed into something else.  :)

Steve, sorry if I stepped on moderator toes.

Anyways, back to the thread title again.  My feeling is that MMG's are "easy" speakers to drive....just inefficient.  The impedance load is fairly benign (totally benign if you bi-amp,) minimal back EMF, etc, etc.  I've used a variety of power amps to drive mine.  Carver AV-705, Sunfire, ATI, Outlaw (as mentioned,) Hafler DH-220, even a modified Dynaco Stereo 70.  All work fine.
I have no further interest in expensive "high-end audiophile" amps so you won't catch any of those in my listening room.  So, no data points there.  :)  I'm not saying the Virtue amps fall into that category......it looks like they probably don't.

It just so happens I do live in Washington State....in the Puget Sound area.  Bremerton to be exact.  I appreciate the offer, but it would probably be more interesting if you swung by my place sometime so you could appreciate what an MMG based system is really capabable of.

Cheers,

Dave.

BaMorin

• AR turntable rebuilder/modifyer
« Reply #10 on: 12 Oct 2011, 05:03 pm »
I've used Carver M1.0t, Carver M500, Carver M500t (all modified by RichP from thecarversite), VTL MB250s and now a Harman Kardon Citation 22.

I haven't heard any Virtue gear but perhaps I should do so.

I can't comment on some of the gear listed here, other than the HK Citation 22.  I have an easier time driving my 3.6s with a GAS Grandson rated at 40wpc into 8 vs the Citation 22 rated at 200wpc into 8.
The HK seems awfully slow,  a pretty bloated sounding bottom end, and a fairly narrow shallow soundfield.

A decent GAS Son of Ampzilla should drive MMGs without hesitation.

Rclark

« Reply #11 on: 12 Oct 2011, 05:20 pm »
I'll take you up on that sometime Davey. And since my amp and batteries are quite easily portable, I'd bring them along.

You're right, I gushed. But in fact every few weeks my system makes another leap, and it's just very exciting.

Davey, Steve, these are SS amps?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #12 on: 12 Oct 2011, 05:53 pm »
 A virtual slew of amps can be used. However SS with at least 200W of power will do the trick. Classic combos have been, Bryston, Plinius, Classe, Levinson and now Virtue.
  Today there are some new kids on the block that will rock the classics. Just try as many as you can in your system.

charles
SMA

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 13 Oct 2011, 12:02 am »
Davey,
No worries.

The amps I listed are all SS except for the VTLs (one of them is my avatar).
My Citation doesn't sound weird to me but I think that the preamp and interconnects that I'm using have a lot to do with this combo sounding good.

The preamp is a Carver C1 which my buddy, BillD, performed some really extensive modifications on (upgrade/change just about everything) and the interconnects are silver courtesy of my fat little fingers.
Even an El Cheapo Oppo sounds almost wonderful on it.

I will be trying some early Brystons on it this Winter as a buddy has a pair sitting around with my name on them.