Steve Jobs has died

jparkhur

Re: Steve Jobs has died
« Reply #40 on: 6 Oct 2011, 05:12 pm »
Many of you are right.  Take an ok product and make it great is the way.  The User Interface for the iPod / iPad etc are what makes these items great.  Xerox got hosed, but maybe if it had not been borrowed, we would have something else.  ??  Apple has continued to make products great.....except for not being able to take out my iPhone battery.. thats dumb...

ah..

Just think..  if i could get Mountain Dew IV, straight to the vein.. great..... coffee too.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #41 on: 6 Oct 2011, 06:29 pm »
Jobs also infused cash/inspiration in Pixar (formerly just a hardware company he pushed them to eventually release their first movie, "Toy Story"). 

Rclark

« Reply #42 on: 6 Oct 2011, 07:32 pm »
Now MS has a chance to stage a bigger comeback since Apple has lost its icon and simply can't be the same after this. Maybe the two companies should eventually merge.

Pez

« Reply #43 on: 6 Oct 2011, 08:09 pm »
Wow Rclark pretty base of you. Could you have waited longer than half a day to start with the faux analytics?

Rclark

« Reply #44 on: 6 Oct 2011, 08:36 pm »
sorry, just talkin' out loud.

RIP.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #45 on: 6 Oct 2011, 09:07 pm »
~
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2014, 09:48 pm by Mike Nomad »

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #46 on: 6 Oct 2011, 09:47 pm »

It reminds me of a quote from a source I cannot remember - live as if you are going to die tomorrow ...

Gandhi said "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever".

Also, see 8:55 in Job's Stanford Commencement speech:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1R-jKKp3NA

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #47 on: 6 Oct 2011, 11:49 pm »
Most products today are merely transactional inducements. There is no there there. They rely on ad campaigns and gimmicks, trickery and me tooism.

Apple made things that look and feel good and do things I want to do in ways that are useful to me. I felt that they bent their designs in my direction rather than trying to schmooze me into accepting whatever chrome plated turd their wonks churned up.

Steve Jobs was the fire that kept Apple's steam up to pressure. I'm not aware of how essential he really has been but, if I had Apple stock, I would sell it now.

Look at the Steelers without Cowher and you get an idea of what will probably occur. Just like Gruden won a Super Bowl with Dungy's Bucs, Tomlin won one with Cowher's Steelers. Both teams have nosedived since.

Steve Jobs was one of a kind like John Lennon or Bob Marley. Because we know this in our heart of hearts, we are all very sad. This marks the end of an era. 

Quiet Earth

« Reply #48 on: 7 Oct 2011, 02:45 am »
Here's a picture of Steve from 1982. He seems to be enjoying what looks like a pair of SoundLab A2X electrostats with his morning cup:

Picture taken from here :
http://digitaljournalist.org/issue0712/y_walker08.html

Mikeinsacramento

« Reply #49 on: 7 Oct 2011, 08:32 pm »
Here's a picture of Steve from 1982. He seems to be enjoying what looks like a pair of SoundLab A2X electrostats with his morning cup:

Picture taken from here :
http://digitaljournalist.org/issue0712/y_walker08.html

Is that Aja laying in front of him?

HalSF

« Reply #50 on: 7 Oct 2011, 11:28 pm »
I asked the same question in a comment thread at Stephen Mejias’s blog and here’s the reply another comments dude posted:

Yes, that is a Michell Gyrodec [turntable], Acoustat 3 speakers and the album is Aja.

The system was eventually moved to the Apple building where the engineering team developed the first Mac.

chgolatin2

« Reply #51 on: 8 Oct 2011, 01:22 am »
 :cry: Sad~  I just wished that he had been more of a philantrophist to the needy and instead of taking jobs to China leave the jobs here but hey thats business and corporate greed in these days, however, he will be missed and of course he changed the way American's  live...  R.I.P Steve Jobs!  your an Icon for sure!

Ps, please dont take my comment as a negative comment!  Just thought that he could of done more here in the good of USA~!  Instead of China!

Quiet Earth

« Reply #52 on: 8 Oct 2011, 02:23 am »
Thanks HalSF,

I realized after I posted that picture that those were probably Acoustat Speakers because SoundLab (1), always puts their logo on the grill, not the wood and (2), you can see a window frame like grid through the white grill, which is a little bit different looking than SoundLabs internal framework.

I thought that the picture was cool though. 8) It brought back a few of my own memories .  .  .

R.I.P. Steve Jobs.

Pez

« Reply #53 on: 8 Oct 2011, 02:52 pm »
:cry: Sad~  I just wished that he had been more of a philantrophist to the needy and instead of taking jobs to China leave the jobs here but hey thats business and corporate greed in these days, however, he will be missed and of course he changed the way American's  live...  R.I.P Steve Jobs!  your an Icon for sure!

Ps, please dont take my comment as a negative comment!  Just thought that he could of done more here in the good of USA~!  Instead of China!

Steve Jobs is Buddhist I believe. Which means that he wouldn't make public his philanthropic efforts. Look up the term 'Dana' (Pronounced Dah-nah) for clarification, but the short answer is that Buddhist believe in selfless giving. Giving that you receive absolutely nothing for, including public acknowledgement. So in essence you wouldn't know even if he was a huge philanthropist. That is not to say he was, I honestly don't know.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #54 on: 8 Oct 2011, 04:29 pm »
Yes he is.

Exactly.
Steve Jobs is Buddhist I believe. Which means that he wouldn't make public his philanthropic efforts. Look up the term 'Dana' (Pronounced Dah-nah) for clarification, but the short answer is that Buddhist believe in selfless giving. Giving that you receive absolutely nothing for, including public acknowledgement. So in essence you wouldn't know even if he was a huge philanthropist. That is not to say he was, I honestly don't know.

MaxCast

« Reply #55 on: 8 Oct 2011, 04:40 pm »
Does that mean no acceptance of a tax deduction? :)

ctviggen

« Reply #56 on: 8 Oct 2011, 05:20 pm »
This is the constant 'controversy' that people argue about Apple. Apple didn't invent the mouse, Apple didn't invent the MP3 player, Apple didn't invent the smartphone, etc etc etc etc. All true, but Apple made ALL those products usable and great.

For me, the controversy is in their business practices.  Why did my wife have to log into her iTunes account to transfer her contacts from her previous phone to her new iPhone?  What does iTunes have to do with contacts?  Why do I have to log into my wife's iTunes account to download updates to apps already existing on her iPad?  Why does the iPad not work without connecting it to iTunes first?  Why is the Apple product model so closed and so based around planned obsolescence? 

On the other hand, they do engineer great products (if you fit into their narrowly defined space) and Steve Jobs was definitely a visionary. To think that the iPod supposedly went from idea to production in 6 months -- that's astounding. 

Pez

« Reply #57 on: 8 Oct 2011, 07:01 pm »
Sounds like a conspiracy. ;)

Where do you think all you iPhone info is kept? I don't understand your objection I guess.  :scratch: