I need a tube integrated for speakers with 85.5db sensitivty.

decal

here's a description, from a pro-audio site.  (realize that musicians may actually want more compression/distortion.)

http://www.vvtamps.com/support.htm :

"...What is Cathode bias (aka) Auto Bias versus fixed bias?

Cathode bias is an early method of biasing tubes where a resistor is placed in the cathode. Current draw through this resistor makes the grid potential negative with respect to the cathode. And, changes in tube conduction are automatically compensated by changes in bias so it’s also referred to Auto Bias. In Fixed Bias a negative voltage is applied directly to the grids of the output tubes. It should be noted that preamp tube are almost always cathode biased whereas output tubes may be either or both. Without getting into the technical issues of the difference between a fixed bias/cathode bias we will talk about the tonal qualities and how they differ in the real world.

The Pros and Cons.

Fixed Biased:
Fixed biased amps are more efficient, it is a brighter, tighter, punchier tone and needs to be pushed louder to find a warm sweet spot. Fixed bias also increases the headroom of the output section keeping the amp cleaner as it gets louder, yet the transition into grind is bit edgier. This design also requires you to bias the amp when replacing output tubes.
On the whole, most amps are fixed bias, your Blackface Fenders, Marshalls, and many of the newer amps such as Boogies etc.

Cathode biased:
Cathode biased amps have a slightly browner tone giving them a real warm appeal.
They also seem to have a rounder more full tone at lower volumes, and transition into grind smoother than a fixed biased amp. They also begin to compress sooner and have a more round, less focused low end, as well as a sweeter compressed, less edgy top end. They also have slightly less headroom.

Cathode biased amps don’t need to be re-biased when installing a fresh set of output tubes (but the set still needs to be matched). It is also a good idea to try and replace the output tubes with the same current draw as the originals. Most manufactures of tubes use a numbering system or color code to identify the tube’s draw. This keeps the tubes at the proper operating point....

here's a plug from primaluna (which the o.p. is considering); note that primaluna basically states what i said originally: "...For Tube-output stages the "fixed bias" system is most commonly used, because of its superiority in efficiency and least intrusion in the signal path. The most well-known other option is called "self-bias" or "cathode-bias", and this requires a big capacitor to bypass a big resistor, with the potential of affecting audio quality a lot more, and definitely burning a lot of wasted power in the already quite inefficient tube output stage....", but then goes on to explain why its system is better:
http://www.hifi-notes.com/primalunaprologueone24-en.htm

if you do a web search, you will find a lot of info on the differences...

doug s.
This is interesting info for guitar amplifiers but we're discussing home stereo. I fail to see what it has to do with your earlier statement that a fixed bias amp will sound better than auto-bias.     :scratch:

Quiet Earth

I think it has to do with the character differences between two different bias schemes. This certainly does apply to home audio as well as guitar amplifiers, because your amplifier is going to have a certain character, and a voice of its own.

I thought it was a good article.

DigitalDude,

Don't give up on us man! Sorry I didn't have a specific recommendation for an alternative amp, but I have never heard a Primaluna or your speakers. I did have an older Cary SLA-70A that was very good at driving a pair of inefficient MET 7 mini monitors, and it could actually drive SoundLabs at a reasonable volume in a very small room. It was also the best sounding push pull amp that I ever owned, especially with more efficient speakers. I should have kept it but it was just collecting dust after I bought my SET, so I let it go. If you could find a used one in good condition . . . .

doug s.

• makin' music
I think it has to do with the character differences between two different bias schemes. This certainly does apply to home audio as well as guitar amplifiers, because your amplifier is going to have a certain character, and a voice of its own.

I thought it was a good article.

thank you. 

now decal, if you actually read my entire prewious post - you know - the one you quoted?   :scratch:  :lol:  where i also mentioned primaluna's statement:

"...For Tube-output stages the "fixed bias" system is most commonly used, because of its superiority in efficiency and least intrusion in the signal path. The most well-known other option is called "self-bias" or "cathode-bias", and this requires a big capacitor to bypass a big resistor, with the potential of affecting audio quality a lot more, and definitely burning a lot of wasted power in the already quite inefficient tube output stage...."

the only difference between what came from primaluna's site and what came from the vvt amps site, is that some pro audio types may actually want added distortion/lower efficiency - they're looking for tone controls for their guitars.  most home audio types are looking for more tonal accuracy, and efficiency from their gear.

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
Thanks Quiet Earth,it's cool.  I have made a note, however,  to NEVER ask a question on a forum again.
if you don't want a plethora of opinions, and wanna simply purchase "blind", then it's your choice.  not sure i understand why, tho.  knowledge is power.

for me, after having read about the primaluna, and, for example, the yaqin i recommended, i think i'd be purchasing the yaqin, if i didn't have a chance to audition ether.  why?  well, i like dual mono, i like the option of switching to triode or ultralinear, i like the option of bypassing the preamp stage, and they have both gotten excellent rewiews.  (the yaqin even when formerly sold by grant fidelity as the $1400 a-88.)  plus, i am cheap, and i like the idea of being able to spend <$700 delivered.   :lol:  and i know they're packed well, and are built like tanks; i took delivery of one for a buddy of mine.  (i cannot give first-hand sonic impressions, cuz it really wouldn't have been the right match for my ~100db-efficient triamped horn system.)

but, even if you don't like this choice, or even if you don't wanna learn why some folks prefer fixed bias vs auto-bias; there are other good choices that were brought up - like the manley stingray - a killer amp, that i have actually heard.  (and at 50wpc in ul, it would be more power than the primaluna.)  not sure what problem you had w/asking a question and the answers you got...

ymmv,

doug s.

Ericus Rex

If staying on-topic is that important to you then perhaps this isn't the forum for you.  Nearly all hot topics here go on several tangents.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1322224010&/Manley-stingray-with-box-and-p
Manley Stingray:  $1,600 used.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
If staying on-topic is that important to you then perhaps this isn't the forum for you.  Nearly all hot topics here go on several tangents.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1322224010&/Manley-stingray-with-box-and-p
Manley Stingray:  $1,600 used.

W.W.A.M. ?

D.D.

decal

Doug, sorry for adding to the derailing of your thread. Don't get discouraged, keep asking and learning. To qoute Sir Francis Bacon "Knowledge is power".

brother love

I'm very close to purchasing a Primaluna Prologue 2 or Classic, but wondering if there are any alternatives.

With all due respect, the alternatives reference makes your initial question somewhat open-ended in my book.  The Virtue Audio integrated amp mentioned included an internal tube buffer.

Good luck with your amp selection.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Didgitaldude-Just so you know, the Virtue Sensation can be purchased with an integrated tube buffer so that you get all the wonderful tonal qualities of a tube amp combined with the Solid State sound of a T-amp and the extra muscle they can provide not sure you took the time to look at that aspect or were too busy finding fault with everyones suggestions. I think we all know now that anytime you post great delicacy should be used not to offend your sensibilities, I for one will probably avoid responding with any kind of help because I'd rather not read how I incorrectly did so in order for you to get whatever kind of jolly you get from posting anonymously behind a name as cool and creative as Digitaldude.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
I know tubes have kinder distortion for your tweets but I personally would want more than 40 Watts for 85.5db speakers.  This is totally and unequivocally my own sentiment that in noway is meant to be considered as an unsolicited advise of any kind what so ever.  Whoever reads it should just ignore it.
« Last Edit: 4 Oct 2011, 03:48 pm by woodsyi »

Ericus Rex

Since knowledge is indeed, power, let me share this with you.

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/capital.asp

Are you sending us on an off-topic tangent?  You seem like a complete arse as well as a complete hypocrite.  Please acquire some manners before you come back.

mca

No need to respond, as I won't be back.

That's probably a good idea. People on this forum are trying to help and you bash them  :scratch:

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
But without you, who will point out our grammatical deficiencies, Digitaldude?

W.W.A.M.      Why Waste A Manley?

D.D.
« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2011, 11:39 am by Diamond Dog »

doug s.

• makin' music
If I wanted to purchase blindly, I would have never asked the question.  Also, the Yaqin was a great suggestion and I appreciated it.  The only reason I am not going with it is because the eBay seller states all sales are final and I'd be stuck if I didn't like it.

As far as knowledge being power, well you are right, but there is a time and a place for everything and this was neither.  That Virtue amp is not even a tube amp.  The Manley is like a $5,000 amp and all the stuff about fixed bias, well that wasn't the question, now was it.

In closing, your not being sure what my problem is, is because I don't have one. I just choose to NOT ask further questions because most couldn't stay on topic if it was a circle on the ground with the word "topic" painted on it.
i beg to differ w/you about the fixed vs auto bias being "off topic", since you specifically mentioned the auto bias feature of the primaluna amp - it begs the question to compare.  unless your view of being on-topic requires a strait-jacket & wearing blinders. 

i think the other "points" you made here have already been adequately addressed by others.  (to add - i dunno about the latest manley price increases, but the original stingray listed at $2500, and as noted, they are in your price range on the used market.)

while i know if you wanted to purchase blindly, you woulda never asked any questions, (i am actually wery perceptive! :lol: ), my statement was regarding your future purchases.  it seems you have decided blind purchases will suit you fine down the road.  have at it!   8)  sorry, i have to be so explicit; i guess tho you know grammar pretty well, your comprehension seems to be a bit lacking.   :P 

and, afaik, the only truly off-topic post on this thread was from you:

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/capital.asp

i suggest that i know more about grammar then you ever will.  but, this is the internet; jeez!   :roll:  and, at least i can comprehend what i read.  well, i guess i could give you the benefit of doubt - mebbe you couldn't comprehend what i wrote BECAUSE I DIDN'T USE ANY CAPS...   :lol:  and, one further non-audio suggestion, to carry on in your off-topic vein - don't read anything written by ee cummings; you won't like it.  save you the trouble of having to audition it yourself.  8)

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
I know tubes have kinder distortion for your tweets but I personally would want more than 40 Watts for 85.5db speakers.  This is totally and unequivocally my own sentiment that in noway is meant to be considered as an unsolicited advise of any kind what so ever.  Whoever reads it should just ignore it.
sorry, rim - i tried to ignore your post, but i simply could not.   8)  it's another reason why the yaqin i mentioned might be a better choice.  while still relatively low power for 85.5db-efficient speakers; based on the o.p.'s usage, it will likely still be a better match, as its ul output is 65wpc.

your other comment here reminds me of a quote of a college professor i had a (long) while back, one that i reference often:

"my adwice to you is to take no adwice at all.  including this."   :wink:

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
Doug, sorry for adding to the derailing of your thread. Don't get discouraged, keep asking and learning. To qoute Sir Francis Bacon "Knowledge is power".

hey, it's obviously time to turn this thread into a train wreck; screw a minor derailment!  it's not my thread; it's that digitaldude punk's thread!   :lol:

decal, it's all good!  as i said before, you didn't derail anything - the auto vs fixed bias was on tangent, imo.  and after all, my opinion is all that matters here!   :green:

now, to continue w/the train wreck - thanks for pointing out to me that francis bacon was the original author of the knowledge is power quote.  my bad for leaving that out.  don't want anyone to think i coined that myself!   :wink:

now, i will end this post w/a phrase that i did coin - i think it's appropriate here:

"if it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is."  :green:

doug s.

Ericus Rex

W.W.A.M.      Why Waste A Manley?

I was wondering what that stood for in your earlier post!     :thumb:

MaxCast

I was wondering what that stood for in your earlier post!     :thumb:
me too.

no need for name calling, guys.

Poultrygeist

I've spent lots of time with my friend's Prologue and even borrowed it for a few days but it couldn't compete with my flea powered Miniwatt much less my Dared 2a3c. I realize you're not in SET territory with 85.5 db speakers but I'd first consider a well reviewed push pull Chinese ebay amp for less money.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Did that guy come back and delete all of his posts?? Figures...