Setting Up The BDP-1

c_note

Setting Up The BDP-1
« on: 1 Oct 2011, 03:18 am »
I bit the bullet and ordered a BDP-1, it arrives tomorrow!  I think I read that large external hard drives should be installed on the lower USB port on the rear.  As I recall, this port had its own dedicated power supply.  Is this correct?  Are there any other tips users can recommend to maximize performance?  Thanks in advance! 

skunark

Re: Setting Up The BDP-1
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2011, 03:37 am »
If you have a bus powered USB HDD drives, I would plug them in the back for the reason you mentioned.  You are pretty much limited to two bus powered USB HDD drives.   Keep in mind that some mobile drives exceed the 500mA limitation.

My two cents..
*Avoid Apple lossless, I had issues with crashes and chirps between tracks.  I don't believe others have experienced this, and I made the switch to AIFF two firmware updates ago...
*Wav files need to have proper folder and file names so you can browse them and play them in order.
*Microsoft users should look into "SyncToy" (from microsoft) to synchronize a music folders from your PC to your HDD on the BDP-1. 
*Find a good client to control the BDP-1.  Mpad and Mpod rock IMO.
*Good thing comes for those who wait....  Be patient with the booting and updates. 

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2011, 01:53 pm »
Skunark has hit all the main points. I would emphasize his point about AIFF. If you have enough HD space, it has the advantage of being able to use iTunes for ripping, which may not be the best tool to use, but it is a very easy option to adopt. mPad and mPod are outstanding if you have an iPad or iPod Touch. If you are using a PC, Gnome is best IMO.

Dave

predrag

« Reply #3 on: 2 Oct 2011, 07:36 am »
My BDP1 has arrived last week. Didn`t have much time to play with it though.
Bought yesterday 3TB hard disc with its own PS. I will probably use iPad + mPad.
Still have to be silent about all this in front of my wife  :lol:
Initial results soundwise are very promising!
BDP1 is a keeper for sure!  :thumb:

SHV

« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2011, 11:18 pm »
Just appropriated the wife's I-Pad, loaded MPad...it's the way to go for Mac users. 

Is there a way to transfer music files from my Mac to the attached HD on the BDP-1 via the network?

Steve

BrysTony

« Reply #5 on: 3 Oct 2011, 02:41 am »
Just appropriated the wife's I-Pad, loaded MPad...it's the way to go for Mac users. 

Is there a way to transfer music files from my Mac to the attached HD on the BDP-1 via the network?

Steve

It is easy to do using Finder.  Just open Finder and you should see the BDP-1 under   Shared.  If you don't click on GO on the top menu and select Connect to Server.  Once you can see the BDP-1 in Finder just drag and drop the files.

Tony

SHV

« Reply #6 on: 3 Oct 2011, 03:06 am »
Thanks Tony...worked like a charm.  For other computer challenged Mac users, the connect user/password is Bryston/Bryston not the usual sys-admin stuff.

Steve

SHV

« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct 2011, 12:42 am »
Well...next step in set up...now doing "phase one trial" of ripping and file transfer.  Using XLD ripper on a Mac., transfer with "finder" and album shows up using "Browse" function of MPad but doesn't appear in other search categories, ie. Album, Genre, etc.  Rebooted BDP,  transferred "trial" rip directly to HD and rebooted BDP-1, etc.  No go. Suggestions?

Steve

BrysTony

« Reply #8 on: 5 Oct 2011, 03:47 am »
Every time you add files to the BDP-1 you must do two other things: 1.  Log on to the BDP-1 and go into "Settings".  Select "Drive Information" then "Update Music Databases", and 2. In MPad go into "Settings" and "Refresh local cache".

I think that will fix your problem.

Tony

skunark

« Reply #9 on: 5 Oct 2011, 07:08 am »
Every time you add files to the BDP-1 you must do two other things: 1.  Log on to the BDP-1 and go into "Settings".  Select "Drive Information" then "Update Music Databases", and 2. In MPad go into "Settings" and "Refresh local cache".

I think that will fix your problem.

Tony

Update is also ran after power-on

terrycym

« Reply #10 on: 5 Oct 2011, 11:46 am »
Update is also ran after power-on

Maybe so but SHV said he rebooted his BDP

SHV

« Reply #11 on: 5 Oct 2011, 04:03 pm »
Thanks for the help!!!  I have rebooted, turned the unit off/on but didn't do a separate "update" via settings.  Will work through the issues, hopefully later today.

OT but is there an optimum size/type for scratch disk.  I am currently using a 30 g thumb drive.  My BDP-1 lib is small and will be until I feel confident that I have the "ripping"issues sorted out.

OT #2...DBPOWERAMP seems to be ripper of "choice".  I am currently evaluating, (with low level of expertise) XLD, Max, and I-Tunes.  Is DB worth setting up a Windows based ripping station??...either buying a PC or running VM/Windows on a Mac??...

Thanks

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #12 on: 5 Oct 2011, 05:18 pm »
Thanks for the help!!!  I have rebooted, turned the unit off/on but didn't do a separate "update" via settings.  Will work through the issues, hopefully later today.

OT but is there an optimum size/type for scratch disk.  I am currently using a 30 g thumb drive.  My BDP-1 lib is small and will be until I feel confident that I have the "ripping"issues sorted out.

OT #2...DBPOWERAMP seems to be ripper of "choice".  I am currently evaluating, (with low level of expertise) XLD, Max, and I-Tunes.  Is DB worth setting up a Windows based ripping station??...either buying a PC or running VM/Windows on a Mac??...

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve - the scratch drive uses a maximum 500MB

james

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #13 on: 8 Oct 2011, 12:51 pm »
Hi Steve - the scratch drive uses a maximum 500MB

james

500MB...wow!

A 600x600 jpg file for the cover art is around 50KB.  So you could store over 10,000 pieces of album art on 500MB of storage.

A 30GB thumb drive should hold around 600 album covers.

Given it is early in the morning and I am recovering from knee surgery, somebody might want to double check my math.   :wink:

George

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #14 on: 8 Oct 2011, 02:40 pm »
500MB...wow!

A 600x600 jpg file for the cover art is around 50KB.  So you could store over 10,000 pieces of album art on 500MB of storage.

Given it is early in the morning and I am recovering from knee surgery, somebody might want to double check my math.   :wink:

George

Hi George - you pass the math test :thumb: - the scratch drive only uses what is needed.

james

srb

« Reply #15 on: 8 Oct 2011, 05:08 pm »

A 30MB (Megabyte) thumb drive would hold around 600 album covers.

But you would have to dig very deep into the Thumb Drive Museum to find an old 32MB model.  Thumb drives as small as 2GB can still be purchased new, although Newegg does have a 512MB thumb drive integrated into a plier and screwdriver multi-tool for $4.49 shipped.

Steve

JfTM

« Reply #16 on: 8 Oct 2011, 05:10 pm »

But you would have to dig very deep into the Thumb Drive Museum to find an old 32MB model.  Thumb drives as small as 2GB can still be purchased new, although Newegg does have a 512MB thumb drive integrated into a plier and screwdriver multi-tool for $4.49 shipped.

Steve

???

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #17 on: 8 Oct 2011, 05:17 pm »

Steve

I knew those pain meds were having some impact!   :duh:

You are absolutely correct...for less than the cost of hi-rez download, you can get a thumb drive somewhere between 2-8 GB in size.

George

SHV

« Reply #18 on: 8 Oct 2011, 05:22 pm »
Plugging away at BDP-1 set up as time permits. Started "phase 2" CD ripping using XLD.  A "problem" that as come up is that even if album cover is available and is downloaded, it doesn't always appear on Mpad.

Can I download my wife's I-Tunes library (~5400 songs) to the HDD that I use for the BDP-1? If so, how??   I currently use Apple TV or I-Pad/Pod dock for her I-Tunes.  Consolidating all music files would simplify the system, I think.

Steve