more BRAND NEW high end AVA components

avahifi

Re: more BRAND NEW high end AVA components
« Reply #100 on: 9 Oct 2011, 10:37 pm »
Lets see if you can find me production quantities of good gold knobs and good gold pushbutton caps that can be acquired without custom tooling in 10,000 lot minimums.  If so, I would like gold faceplates too.  :)

Yah, there are lots of small audio shops on the web that have 2 or 8 or maybe have 15 gold knobs available for sale but without a source or any hope of consistant production quantities.  Note that the knobs have to have double set screws so they can work on both 1/4" and 6 mm shafts (unless you can also convince my rotary switch and volume and bal control vendors to standardize on one or the other size}.

You just can't imagine how hard it is to find attractive front panel parts unless you try it yourself, or if you have the spare cash available to design, tool, and pay for production runs of special purpose parts.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

strat95

« Reply #101 on: 10 Oct 2011, 01:33 am »
More color choices means the cost goes up.  Local machine shops making knobs in small batches will cost much, much more per knob than buying a minimum of 10,000 from a knob manufacturer.

Car manufacturers do not provide the color options (exterior/interior) that they once used to because they are trying to maximize their profits.  It's the nature of manufacturing to standardize across platforms/models as much as you can in order to maximize profits.  "You could buy a Model T Ford in any color you want as long as it's black", stated Henry Ford.  More options means more complexity in the logistics of running your business.

Frank is trying to keep things simple as are all manufacturers these days.  If Frank spent more time worrying about color options instead of improving his circuit designs, we may not be getting the improvements available for his products at all.

Let Frank provide the best bang for your buck audio equipment no matter what color it is.
And black or silver are pretty much standard color options for audio equipment.

TV

orthobiz

« Reply #102 on: 10 Oct 2011, 02:36 am »

For example, this afternoon I am playing a CD of the London recording of H.M.S. Pinafore done by the D'Oyly Carte Opera Company long ago.  This series of nearly all the Gilbert and Sullivan classics was nearly universally panned as being nearly unlistenably bright and harsh.  With a complete new Fet Valve system running my Salk HT3s, the music is wonderful and it is easy to understand all the words both with the solos and the large chorus.  I have never heard this sound anywhere near this great before.

Wow! My dad bought the records for me when I was in sixth grade and played the Admiral in this play. This exact performance. Those records were burnt out on an old plastic arm Garrard. Found a mint copy for 2 bucks last year at the AKFest.

Memories...

Paul

guest1632

« Reply #103 on: 10 Oct 2011, 02:47 pm »
To offer a choice of the newly upgraded faceplates in either silver or black would mean we would have to double our tooling and inventory costs of faceplates, knobs, and more. This would simply raise the prices for everyone. We can't use the standard black faceplates on the new Fet Valve equipment because the control functions have changed too and old faceplates won't match the new functions or even the new power switch and LED (and electronic on and off circuits in the power amps).

No matter what we do, someone will always object.  Please - -  its the sound that is most important! We offered XLR fittings and balanced line operation with only two takers in the past year.  We got as many complaints as compliments regarding going to IEC plug-in power cords, and now some want a faceplate a different color than what we offer.  For about $10,000 per unit, and a six month lead time, we probably can turn out the equipment with just about any color or combination of knobs and functions you might want (no satisfaction guarantee and no order cancelation allowed of course).

Of course once you hear the new Fet Valve equipment, you probably will agree that even if they were priced at $10,000 each, they still would be bargains in the world of "high end" equipment out there.

Again, remember its the music.

Frank Van Alstine

Hi Frank,

Unfortunately, i think you might have missed the point. No one here is complaining persay, but it would be a good thing to have as an option maybe on special order the pre and DAC faceplates as black. All we are talking about is color, not designing new plates. Some people don't want there stuff to stand out, "look at me!" It would be obviously easier to change out the Black plate on the amp to the silver ones. That is an option to give people. So they buy there 400R or 600R, and it's black. Then they buy the new FET Valve pre, and it's silver. No match. Maybe, as a suggestion, you might want to keep a couple of plates for the amp preamp, and DAC in black. Oh yeah, gotta have 'em buttons and knobs in black too. You shouldn't have to retool anything, just change out the color scheme. We men don't necessarily care about the looks the way wives girlfriends ETC. do. All I am saying is keep a couple of the black plates and buttons on hand. So when you do get those rare orders where someone wants black, you can just give it to them. If you handle it this way, no big deal. If you were to stock both double the black and silver plates knobs ETC. then your point would be well justified. So that's just my two sense worth.

Now as for the iEC cords, Frank you made it a major point for years that it doesn't make a damn bit of difference and that using a IEC cord versus the standard two prong cord is preferrable, tooling costs ETC. And now you change because of the times over to a IEC cord. So what do you expect. The old crowd is gonna bitch and gripe. like you said, you can't please everyone. I admire your attempt at trying.

So as for the less expensive stuff, I do understand what you wer saying. I didn't consider that when I wrote you my questions? As far as the 6SN7 tubes go, it would probably sound different with the octals anyway. The pin outs are the same, so if people can find adapters between socket types, would be interesting to see what if any the real differences would be.

Another harsh recording is the Simon and Garfunco Bridge Over Troubled Waters. That album was awful to listen to for any length of time.

So are you gonna now come out with a T9 with the complete tube pre using John's circuit in it? That would round out your tube line nicely.

Just gotta win the lotto that's all. Sure hope your new stuff just takes off like a rocket.

Ray Bronk

guest1632

« Reply #104 on: 10 Oct 2011, 02:57 pm »
Lets see if you can find me production quantities of good gold knobs and good gold pushbutton caps that can be acquired without custom tooling in 10,000 lot minimums.  If so, I would like gold faceplates too.  :)

Yah, there are lots of small audio shops on the web that have 2 or 8 or maybe have 15 gold knobs available for sale but without a source or any hope of consistant production quantities.  Note that the knobs have to have double set screws so they can work on both 1/4" and 6 mm shafts (unless you can also convince my rotary switch and volume and bal control vendors to standardize on one or the other size}.

You just can't imagine how hard it is to find attractive front panel parts unless you try it yourself, or if you have the spare cash available to design, tool, and pay for production runs of special purpose parts.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Yeah, point taken, but I'll bet you, you can get that consistently in black, I would think cheaper than either gold or silver. just something to consider.

Ok, enough said except for my post further down. Frank is gonna do what he's gonna do.

Ray Bronk

avahifi

« Reply #105 on: 10 Oct 2011, 03:46 pm »
Regarding an Aikido all tube preamp.  We have already done that here as a prototype, multiple regulated power supplies and all.  When that circuit has to drive a load, we actually like the existing T8 better.  End of story.

Regards,

Frank

P.S.  I suppose we could do the new Fet Valve preamp and DAC in the old standard black faceplates, but we feel that would dilute the product identification too much.  Bad enough that we are still doing the Fet Valve power amps with the old faceplates.  Cost savings would not be much, we still have to pay for the new faceplates whether you want them or not.

Wayner

« Reply #106 on: 10 Oct 2011, 04:55 pm »
Here are some real photos:

rcag_ils

« Reply #107 on: 10 Oct 2011, 05:19 pm »
I have to admit that I didn't like the look of the old Super Pas 4i all that much, (a little short looking box). But over time, the sound quality overrides the look, now I love it. I love the look of the old Dyna, amp or preamp, and I love them even more with AVA circuit in them, that's look over sound in the beginning.

If the goal for the new look is to attract new buyers before they get to know the sound and the background of AVA, then it could be tricky. The new customers probably already have their perception what their eq should look like, or what they are used to seeing, so to generate their interest, I think it's the right thing to do for Frank to follow the trend and to make them silver.

Now I am more interested in knowing what a Aikido is.

martyo

« Reply #108 on: 10 Oct 2011, 05:22 pm »
Thanks Wayne.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #109 on: 10 Oct 2011, 05:59 pm »
I like the more refined look of the color coordinated round buttons, versus the classic black plastic round buttons used in the Dynaco PAT series.

bummrush

« Reply #110 on: 10 Oct 2011, 06:14 pm »
I thnk they are outstanding looking even on the I touch

avahifi

« Reply #111 on: 10 Oct 2011, 06:22 pm »
They even look a lot better with the nifty little diffuse blue LED turned on.  It might even make them sound better too.

Frank

martyo

« Reply #112 on: 10 Oct 2011, 06:44 pm »
They even look a lot better with the nifty little diffuse blue LED turned on.  It might even make them sound better too.

Frank
Absolutely 8)

SJ David

« Reply #113 on: 10 Oct 2011, 07:41 pm »

Frank

Uh Oh. Now the topic is going to veer over to the best LED color.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #114 on: 10 Oct 2011, 07:48 pm »
Uh Oh. Now the topic is going to veer over to the best LED color.

yep.  Things are changing rapidly.  LED's, IEC and casework. 

Come a long way from this:

Worrying about power cords gets 2600 hits.

Notice that the editor in chief of The Absolute Sound says our new Ultravalve amp was the best bargan at the RMAF gets 320 hits and no comments at all.

Head up ass priorities, methinks.

Frank

avahifi

« Reply #115 on: 10 Oct 2011, 08:47 pm »
Gee, you know we actually could supply alternate LED colors for only a minor extra cost.  We even have some green ones in stock left over from old Super Pas Three days.  One issue is finding appropriate diffuse ones.  We went through 14 different blue LEDs before finding the "right" one.  They would need to be standard 5mm size to fit the faceplate.

Accommodatingly,

Frank

mark funk

« Reply #116 on: 10 Oct 2011, 09:14 pm »
Shit, I had a time going from my T-5 face plate to the new old face plate on the T-8. Now every thing I liked is gone. There not black and there are on screws and I use to like the head phone jack with that big old nut holdding it in the face plate  :(

They do look nice  :thumb:  much better then a Dynaco ever did me thinks.

:smoke:

modular747

« Reply #117 on: 10 Oct 2011, 09:19 pm »
They even look a lot better with the nifty little diffuse blue LED turned on.  It might even make them sound better too

Gee, you know we actually could supply alternate LED colors for only a minor extra cost. 
Accommodatingly,

Frank

Wow.  Since we now know some sound better, time to start LED rolling  :D

Tom Alverson

« Reply #118 on: 10 Oct 2011, 10:43 pm »
Gee, you know we actually could supply alternate LED colors for only a minor extra cost.  We even have some green ones in stock left over from old Super Pas Three days.  One issue is finding appropriate diffuse ones.  We went through 14 different blue LEDs before finding the "right" one.  They would need to be standard 5mm size to fit the faceplate.

Accommodatingly,

Frank

Not only did I start this thread, I started the whole LED craze many years ago.   I had a stock PAS-3x (it actually had the Jensens Stereo Shop "Free instructions" updates installed) and one day my pilot lamp burned out.  I searched  my junk box and could not find the right bulb but I did have a drawer full of red LED's.  I noticed the LED would fit snugly right where the lamp lens was so I put one there and used a dropping resistor I had laying around in my junk box.  I later sent it in for the original Super PAS mods and Frank must have noticed the LED because he replaced the dropping resistor with one that actually had the right power rating.  Since the LED draws much less current the filament voltage rose up a little and improved the sound.  So LED's can improve the sound in the right circuit.  I did put a blue LED in another PAS preamp I have but have never tried "LED rolling".

Tom

rlee8394

« Reply #119 on: 10 Oct 2011, 10:50 pm »
Man, most blue LEDs that I've seen look that they could blast your eyes out!! I hope Frank uses a decent dropping resistor to tame the blue brightness. I'm sure using a diffused LED helps as well. I'm in the IT field, and every time I see a blue LED on a server or storage array, I want to cover it over with a small piece of gray colored static bag material. That seems to tame it down to what I feel is a comfortable level of illumination.

Ron