Amplifier repair, upgrades in DC area?

kgcdc

Amplifier repair, upgrades in DC area?
« on: 26 Sep 2011, 08:48 pm »
Hi,

I've got some tube amps I'd like to have work done on, older stuff that isn't under warranty, etc., including two Don Allen cake pan amps, etc. Most of the work is quite trivial--including checking tubes, etc--so sending them back to the makers is probably over kill.

Is there anyone in the DC area who you know and trust to do this kind of work? I.e., checking tubes, maybe replacing caps, etc.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Kendall Clark

Macezeke

Re: Amplifier repair, upgrades in DC area?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2011, 02:15 am »
Kendall,

You might want to try Music Technology Inc in Springfield, VA. I had them check out my Music Reference RM-9 mk II a few years back and it's been trouble free every since. I'd say they're a good place to start. They're not cheap, but prices, depending on the work to be done are fair.

http://www.musictechnology.com/

Hope this helps,

Mac

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2011, 02:26 am »
I'd second Music Technology.  Bill Thalmann is one of the best techs with probably over 30 years experience, including many at Conrad Johnson.  They do repairs for some hi-fi shops.  They (the shops) may not tell you that,

pansixt

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2011, 11:08 pm »
Sounds like some good references for them. I never knew they were in the area.

I have used Brett Mullins who is my old tube gear guru and one of the former partners of Sound Images in Falls Church, VA.

He can be reached thru Gary at Blue Groove Soundz. The record shop in Westover Arlington http://www.bluegroovesoundz.blogspot.com/.

James

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #4 on: 5 Aug 2012, 05:06 am »
- retracted -
« Last Edit: 7 Jun 2013, 02:55 am by jarcher »