Odyssey Xtreme Mono's versus Van Alstine FETvalve 550HC

audiojerry

« Reply #40 on: 3 Feb 2003, 05:06 pm »
Al Garey wrote:
However, your character attack is not necessary. You are asking people to choose sides. And you do not need to. Usually, it backfires. You should realize that Jackman to some of us is not the person you describe. I've known him for a short while but during that time, I trust him fully with any of my gear as he has repeatedly done with his. To me, Jackman has been a man of his word, a man who cares deeply about his hobby and sharing it with others. I admire a man who speaks lovingly of his wife as Jackman does. I trust that he is sincere in his convictions and the feelings he shares regularly.

I'd like to second Al's support for Jack. Jack and his wife Michelle have been wonderful both as guests in my home and as hosts in theirs. I have gotten nothing sincerity from Jack. Yes, he has great enthusiasm and passion for his relatively new found hobby, and he is still learning his way. He is taking the journey and making discoveries like many of us have done and still do.  

I do not know Klaus personally, but my conversations with him convince me that he is sincere and a man of integrity. It might be best to try to mend fences and put the negativity behind.

"Shootouts" types of comparisons are a very popular component of this forum, and they will contiune to occur. It would be nice if we could set some ground rules or understandings that whatever companys' products are being pitted against each other, that the reviewers try to keep their opinions confined to the context of their systems and personal preferences, and avoid the "absolutes" such as
"Component 'a' rules", or
"Component 'b' is junk".

Woodsea

« Reply #41 on: 3 Feb 2003, 06:14 pm »
Here Here...I second that :!:

klaus@odyssey

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.odysseyaudio.com
« Reply #42 on: 3 Feb 2003, 06:20 pm »
Well,  guess that Marbles did a better job laying out things than I did.  Anyway,  based on Jack's pm,  and hoping and believeing this time that he sticks to his word,  I call a truce indeed.

Sorry if I startled a few of you, but my comments weren't directed towards others, other products, or anything else, but Jack himself, and as far as I'm concerned,  he's gotten the message and everything should be fine from here on out.  A quick remark here:  I talked with Michelle a bit as well,  and yes,  she's lovely and very nice indeed.  Other than Odyssey in the past,  Jack had some good and entertaining thoughts as well, IMO.  I'd never had a problem with him otherwise,  I'm sure.  Unfortunately,  we've had a different history.

Again,  based on his pm to me this morning,  I'm cool, and yes,  I hope that he sticks around too.  The water and the bridge thing would be good right now.

Late,
Klaus

Nikko

« Reply #43 on: 3 Feb 2003, 06:40 pm »
I feel all warm and fuzzy now. Group hug!  :lol:

Ravi

« Reply #44 on: 3 Feb 2003, 07:27 pm »
I'm glad cooler heads are prevailing.  I've had quite a few private discussions with Jack via email and pm's.  He's very passionate, and people confuse that with him perhaps having an ajenda.  He has helped me in this hobby tremendously, and many others.  

I believe the entire meaning of forgiving someone, be it a handshake or whatever, is to never use those mistakes against that person again.  

Jack, stick around.  Don't let this dampen your enthusiasm, or change who you are.  People like Xi-trum, Al, and I find this refreshing.  I hate reading reviews that sound like the reviewers got a chokechain around his neck.

jackman

« Reply #45 on: 3 Feb 2003, 08:10 pm »
Thanks to everyone for the kind words.  It looks like we can get back to more important stuff!  The kind words and emails I have received from everyone have restored my faith in humanity...okay, that's a little too thick, but I really appreciate all of the kind words.

On an unrelated note (it's not like this thread is long or anything...), this has been a particularly difficult month for me.  I lost my longtime companion and listening partner (and ocasional drinking partner :o ) two weeks ago when my 17 year old Pomeranian (Lionel) passed away from a heart attack.  Many of you who have been to my house (Rup, Neil, Gary, Jeff, Randman, Audiojerry, et al) have had the "pleasure" of fighting Lionel for the best listening position...even though, in the last six months, he had lost his hearing completely.   Although he never fetched a ball, was a terriable watch-dog, couldn't do any tricks, barked non-stop and had the bad habbit of humping my 20 lb. (male  :o ) cat whenever we had guests over (kind've embarassing...), he was still the best dog I have ever owned and will be sadly missed.  Two days before his passing, he gave the neighbor dogs (those barky weiner dogs) a going-away present when he peed on both of them through their fence!  That was Ol' Lionel, a real character to the very end.

Adios,
Jackman

Nikko

« Reply #46 on: 3 Feb 2003, 08:16 pm »
Jack....I'm truly sorry for your loss. I understand how attached we can become to our pets, in particular dogs. I myself have a 9 yr. old Akita and I'll probably be in bed for two weeks when he passes. I'm hoping that since I feed him better than I feed myself he'll stick around as long as Lionel did. Odds are against it though.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #47 on: 4 Feb 2003, 01:26 am »
Attention, North Korea, your attention please!

If you don't stop those shenanigans, we are going to send over both Jackman and Klaus...they are not covered under any nuclear non-proliferation treaty, but perhaps should be.

You have been warned.... :nono:

Al Garay

« Reply #48 on: 4 Feb 2003, 01:45 am »
Dang! I missed the Group HUG!!!

I'll go make some nice steaks, rib eye spencer medallions, to celebrate this peace accord.

Al

jackman

« Reply #49 on: 4 Feb 2003, 02:33 am »
This is Jack's wife Michelle.  I have to correct my husband on two things. Lionel was a great dog!  He could do tricks and was a great watchdog!  (Until now the cat thing was a well kept secret. :wink: )

Thanks for the nice words, you made my day!

Michelle :-)

audiojerry

« Reply #50 on: 4 Feb 2003, 02:45 am »
Quote from: jackman
This is Jack's wife Michelle.  I have to correct my husband on two things. Lionel was a great dog!  He could do tricks and was a great watchdog!  (Until now the cat thing was a well kept secret. :wink: )

Thanks for the nice words, you made my day!

Michelle :-)

Michelle, I missed you on Sunday - so did the cats.
PS: Somebody should write a song about you. What? oh, never mind...

nathanm

« Reply #51 on: 4 Feb 2003, 05:12 am »
Just who is this mysterious enchantress I wonder?  First Jerry's son falls for her, now dad's under her spell too?  Not to mention the AR-CV200 cats no less!  Wow...

MaxCast

« Reply #52 on: 4 Feb 2003, 05:31 pm »
Not to mention her appearance at Marble Fest '02

jackman

« Reply #53 on: 8 Feb 2003, 03:45 am »
I have received several emails requesting the Audio by Van Alstine Email address. The address is:

www.avahifi.com

Thank you to all of the people who have sent very cool and supportive emails.  All of your kind words are greatly appreciated.  

Jack :?

Rocket

« Reply #54 on: 8 Feb 2003, 09:07 am »
hello jackman,

have things settled down for you?  gee the knives come out pretty quick don't they!  probably better not to mention odyssey anymore.

anyway just curious to find out when your going to compare an aksa.  remember there is the 55 or 100 (this would be better for comparing with your speakers) also aksa have a nirvana upgrade.  this would be an interesting comparison, although fellow aksaphiles are pretty loyal.  i can't imagine tho that you would have any problems like you did with odyssey.

if you ever have a spare $800 us you should have one built they are an excellent product.  mine is finely finished just put the permanent power switch in today, i will take some pictures and post my impressions of the amp.

anyway must go now, how is the weather in chicago.  it's been moderately hot here for a couple of weeks 90 degrees fahrenheit.

regards

rod

jackman

« Reply #55 on: 8 Feb 2003, 10:51 am »
Rod, if I knew anyone in the Chicago area, it would be great to hear the AKSA, and I'd be happy to have them over.  My friend Steve in New Jersey has an AKSA amp and just built the new preamp.  He has owned some expensive gear over the years and swears by the AKSA.  He also speaks very highly of Hugh (I think that's his name) and service he has received from AKSA.  

If anyone in the Chicago area would like be willing to do a comparison, I'd be more than happy to set it up.  I have no doubt the AKSA gear is very well designed and a great value for the money.  I'm very lazy and don't have the time for a DIY project at the moment, but maybe some day!  In the meantime, I really like my Van Alstine gear.  It is truly amazing how much difference it has made to my system.  Every area of the music has improved.  

Adios,
Jack

Rocket

upgrading amps
« Reply #56 on: 8 Feb 2003, 11:54 am »
hello jackman,

actually i would probably never had bought an AKSA but i have an n.e.w. dc-66 battery amp which i was quite happy with.  i think it retailed for about $3000us.  

the reason i looked at the aksa was that the recharge circuit has been unreliable and just before xmas i cooked the batteries in the amp which were only six months old (cost $560au dollar).

i'm happy with what i have and don't want to continually upgrade my gear anymore.  not sure what i'm going to do with the n.e.w. i don't know how much i can get for it.

regards

rod

ps if you hear a better amp just don't listen to you system for a day and you forget how good it sounded.  then you don't waist your money upgrading all the time. :)

NealH

AKSA
« Reply #57 on: 8 Feb 2003, 12:16 pm »
I am not familiar with AKSA.  Can you provide their web address so I can take a look at this amplifier.

jackman

« Reply #58 on: 8 Feb 2003, 03:25 pm »
AKSA is another name for Aspen Company.  They are actually on this site as a manufacturer.  Here is a link to their site:

http://www.aksaonline.com/.

Eric

« Reply #59 on: 9 Feb 2003, 11:33 pm »
Just to put all of this in perspective, there is a good chance that we will be at war in the next few weeks. I love audio, but it pales in comparrison to what some of our young folks are facing overseas. Just a thought to put all of this into perspective..