Odyssey Xtreme Mono's versus Van Alstine FETvalve 550HC

BWentler

• In Christ, we are all saved!
RE: Just a thought to put all of this into perspective
« Reply #60 on: 10 Feb 2003, 04:54 pm »
Amen....

A prayer to all those who serve our Country!

Bruce

jackman

« Reply #61 on: 15 Nov 2003, 06:39 am »
BUMP!

I just re-read this review and thought it needed to resurface.  I am getting my newly upgraded AVA amp and preamp back from the factory next week and thought it was a good time to do a comparison.  Anyone out there with Odyssey gear or any other SS amp (or tube if you wish) who want's to do a head-to-head comparison please give me a call.  The new regulated power supply in the preamp and amp should make this fun.  Please give me a call if you are in the Chicago area and are willing to bring your stuff over to my house for a direct comparison.

I don't care if it's Krell, Rowland or DIY, anyone is welcome.  Just give me a call.

J

HChi

« Reply #62 on: 19 Nov 2003, 05:36 am »
Jackman,
 I look forward to hearing the result of comparison.  While no amp can be perfect, it would be good to know the strong and weak suits in each amp, which will give more insight in system pairing.   I read a review by someone here comparing the old-550ex to Parasound JC-1.  I don't know how new that JC-1 was. I heard that JC-1 is like Simaudio W5, which requires much much longer burn-in time.  It would be cool if comparsion can also be made to Krell, Pass Labs,  Jeff Rowland, and/or Mark Levinson amps.  Perhaps three weeks later after returning from my trip,  I can gather enough information from this thread to decide which amp to buy, as I am amp-less now  :( !

Arcticdeth

Re: Odyssey Xtreme Mono's versus Van Alstine FETvalve 550HC
« Reply #63 on: 26 Jun 2015, 03:22 pm »
Wow. Mentioning  the " is this even an amplifier" regarding the sunfire signature is a bold statement.
I have mine bi-amped with a b&k pro10mc to a pair of energy rc-70's , and the sound is truly amazing.
And this is my secondary system.   No love for B Carver in here ?

Kismets soon Klaus, promise.

R