NS3 collaboration with a new take or spin (which ever you prefer)

Randall Kepley

• Industry Participant
  • Kepley Custom Cabinets & Furniture
As some may know Ive built several different pieces for Jtwrace (Jason) when I was approached by him a Month or so ago to build him a pair of NS3's for his Dad as a present, (pretty nice present dont ya think!) But anyway Jason's about as easy going when it comes to design imput w/ about my only stipulations was to make them Look "Killer" ! As far as the Killer part goes Ill let you guys decide. I think they turned out pretty good, its a little different take on the standard looking run of the mill NS3's , Im sure some may like it some may not but I do think it adds a flair to the overall look.

The front baffle isnt your typical intergration as a seemless look which IMOP on a lot of veneered speakers kinda makes them all look somewhat the same, so I took a different route. I must admit the textured baffel isnt my idea I did borrow it from a style I saw a year or so ago so I must give credit where credit is due. The Veneer is Italian Macasser Ebony and finished in Conversion Varnish, the interior is lined w/ N0-Rez and the crossovers were built by Jason w/ all the bells and whistles which lookde like works of art in and of themselves.Jason spared no expense on the components and I appreciate him giving me the go ahead to see where this project took us. Well without any further "adue" here they are.

Some of the pix didnt turn out like I wanted them to , I was trying to set up the lights like I wanted them , my wife was gone and I had 2 kids in the shop bouncing off the walls breaking my concentration but anyway I hope you enjoy. Thanks for looking , R.K.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Really like the bookmatch you did on top, and like the reveal line on the baffle with that little bit there veneered too ... adds a nice extra dimension.  Is that real Ebony, or manmade stuff?  Looks like the manmade but just wondering.

saisunil

nice ...

PDR

• May the best man win
textured baffles.....I like.....

Randall Kepley

• Industry Participant
  • Kepley Custom Cabinets & Furniture
Turbo, its reconstituted Ebony. Its the best parts of Ebony veneered togther. The company I buy from only uses the real thing. I tried the fake stuff yrs ago and wound up trying to stain it to look like the real thing and wound up looking like crap. Its deff worth the extra money for the real thing and the look is stunning. R.K.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Turbo, its reconstituted Ebony. Its the best parts of Ebony veneered togther. The company I buy from only uses the real thing. I tried the fake stuff yrs ago and wound up trying to stain it to look like the real thing and wound up looking like crap. Its deff worth the extra money for the real thing and the look is stunning. R.K.

It's interesting how they make the reconstituted ebony like this.  Basically they make two different color sawdust slurrys, pour one in a mold, and then pour the darker color in slowly in back and forth passes while pulling a knife through the mold to make the simulated grain pattern.  After it cures, they pull the brick from the mold and slice it up into veneer. 

As your work clearly shows, the reconstituted stuff can look fantastic too!

rtate

Great work Randall !!
As a novice diy'er I was wondering if you could tell me how you attach
the front baffle to the enclosure ?
Is it removable ??

I can only hope my project turns out half as well...
Thanks for the pictures    :thumb:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel

As a novice diy'er I was wondering if you could tell me how you attach
the front baffle to the enclosure ?
Is it removable ??

Everything is removable...these will need a hammer and chisel to get off.   :lol:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
I've only seen them in person when I wired everything which was before the front baffle install.  I must say that pictures do not do these speakers (Randall's work) justice.  They're magnificent in person!   :notworthy:

jparkhur

So cool.....

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
How do they sound? They are killer by the way, you definitely nailed that part!!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Crossover build is here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=97263.0

After crossover install but before wire cleanup.

TomS

Love the floating baffle look too!

brother love

Love the floating baffle look too!

+1.  Very nice.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
How do they sound?

I do not have them yet.  Will try to get them tonight. 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Randall...

:notworthy:

Can't wait to send you my business, and I am so stoked that you are close by...

Anand.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Randall...

:notworthy:

Can't wait to send you my business, and I am so stoked that you are close by...

Anand.

I can't wait to see what you have him build.   :hyper:

HT cOz

Sweet  :thumb:

Ron

Your N3S speakers look very nice.  :thumb: Were they made without grills?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
  Your N3S speakers look very nice.  :thumb: Were they made without grills?

Thanks Ron.   :thumb:

No grills!!!