irregular room shape?

Rclark

Re: irregular room shape?
« Reply #20 on: 27 Sep 2011, 06:02 pm »

You know Mr.Minn, I recently switched back to tweeters inside, and in this room, the improvement it provides is quite staggering.

Hopefully someone can answer your questions.

My original post may turn out to be much ado about nothing as the other person involved is losing their interest in a larger place.

josh358

« Reply #21 on: 27 Sep 2011, 11:53 pm »
1) I have opposite problem on some recordings: the image seems "too hig". Have 3.6 owners played with 'tilting' the speakers down toward the listening position?

I can't answer that from personal experience, but I've read that a slight forward tilt can improve image specificity:

http://www.soundanchors.com/page44.html

You might also try playing with toe in, in my experience anyway when they're parallel to the front wall, you get a very spacious perspective, as you toe them in the image becomes increasingly specific.

Can the poster clarify what he means by the "60 degree spread"? I use my 3.6 with their tweeters inside, and crossing in front of my listening position.

That's the classical stereo listening geometry, with the speakers and listener at the apices of an equilateral triangle. In the case of Maggies, the angle is determined by the tweeters, whether the woofers are on the inside or outside, since they have more of an effect on localization. So the distance between the tweeters is the same as the distance from a tweeter to the listener.

Rclark

« Reply #22 on: 28 Sep 2011, 05:11 am »

Where I have them set up now, I almost don't even need any treatment, it's quite pristine and focused and strings have quite an attack.

If I don't move, this thread won't be for naught, as I just received the Warpspeed Optocoupler and have been spending the afternoon with it. It is the capstone to these Maggies that makes me liken this system to having a really nice plasma screen for music... if that makes sense.  I'll post the link here when I write that review in a few days.

And if I get the room, all the merrier!

Also ordering a battery pack soon for my Virtue amp. Fidelity keeps on rising every few weeks, I love it!

josh358

« Reply #23 on: 28 Sep 2011, 09:41 pm »
That's one of the things I like about planars -- because of their directionality, they don't need room treatment to sound good. Just careful placement. And when you do want to get the last ounce of performance from them, the treatment they need is very minimal.

Rclark

« Reply #24 on: 28 Sep 2011, 10:06 pm »
That factored in my decision  to go with modded mmgs. My original plan was to build gr n3's, I already had cabinets ready to go, and I was invested in the idea that I was going to build on the order or 20-30 8lb basstraps. It will be nice to, when I get around to it, need a much less elaborate set up. For sub, I will also move to open baffles.

...typing on the phone is such a chore due to auto spell correct. Very annoying!
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2011, 11:56 pm by Rclark »

josh358

« Reply #25 on: 30 Sep 2011, 04:22 pm »
How about an H-frame baffle, like the subs on Linkwitz's site?

Rclark

« Reply #26 on: 30 Sep 2011, 06:38 pm »
I'm a GR fan so it has to be the servos, but not sure whether H or W. Whichever gives the best spread in a small room.

Turns out not moving, but the good news is the Warpspeed is awesome, and I'll post a review soon.