What digital interconnect are you using with your BDP-1?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: What digital interconnect are you using with your BDP-1?
« Reply #20 on: 21 Sep 2011, 03:40 pm »
Ted,
After your listening adventures, do you plan on purchasing the Morrow Dig4?

I have little need for an AES cable in my USB DAC setup.  If I end up going BDP-1 then yes I will.  :)   Until then if I need an AES connection my DH Labs D-110 is very good, only slightly less dynamic and open than the Dig4.

klao

« Reply #21 on: 21 Sep 2011, 06:49 pm »
I'm using Kimber Select KS 2120 AES/EBU 1-meter to link between BDP-1 & BDA-1.  :D

headshrinker2

« Reply #22 on: 21 Sep 2011, 06:58 pm »
Klao,
How did you select this cable?  Did you have the opportunity to compare it to others?  This is a rather pricey interconnect.  Did it somehow outperform less expensive offerings? 

I'm using Kimber Select KS 2120 AES/EBU 1-meter to link between BDP-1 & BDA-1.  :D

klao

« Reply #23 on: 21 Sep 2011, 07:14 pm »
I got it used ($530) and even before my BDP-1 arrived.   :wink:  It happens that Kimber products sold here (Thailand) are bit cheper than US's MSRP to start with.  Anyway, I also did compare the Select to Stereolab XV-Ultra BNC-BNC.  Both sounded very close, but I sold the XV-U in favour of just a tiny tiny sharper focus and details of the 2120.

Klao,
How did you select this cable?  Did you have the opportunity to compare it to others?  This is a rather pricey interconnect.  Did it somehow outperform less expensive offerings?

headshrinker2

« Reply #24 on: 9 Oct 2011, 03:53 pm »
Belden 1800F 110 AES/EBU.  Actually using Belden 1800F throughout my system, both for balanced analog and digital interconnect.  Fantastic value. 

At least in my experience, this cable benefits from a generous amount of break-in time. 

I will be evaluating a Morrow Dig4 sometime this week.  I look forward to seeing what it brings to the party.  I'm really excited with how my system sounds right now.  If the Morrow improves things further, I'm going to be an extremely happy (audio) camper.

ronman

« Reply #25 on: 19 Oct 2011, 07:32 pm »
From the BDP-1 to the BDA-1 I'm using balanced Audioquest Wild Digital, then from the BDA-1 to Mark Levinson 38S pre I use balanced Audioquest Sky. Then more Sky to the power amps.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #26 on: 19 Oct 2011, 10:26 pm »
Belden 1800F 110 AES/EBU.  Actually using Belden 1800F throughout my system, both for balanced analog and digital interconnect.  Fantastic value. 

At least in my experience, this cable benefits from a generous amount of break-in time. 

I will be evaluating a Morrow Dig4 sometime this week.  I look forward to seeing what it brings to the party.  I'm really excited with how my system sounds right now.  If the Morrow improves things further, I'm going to be an extremely happy (audio) camper.

How is the evaluation going?

George

headshrinker2

« Reply #27 on: 20 Oct 2011, 06:51 pm »
Hey George,
The Morrow Dig4 Grand Reference is still going through it's audio fraternity break-in/hazing period, per the recommendations of Mike Morrow. Initial impressions are very positive.  Will report back!

How is the evaluation going?

George

Xinon

« Reply #28 on: 6 Nov 2011, 01:34 pm »
Upgraded from Wire World Starlight Gold 5.2AES/EBU  to Starlight Platinium AES/EBU .
Link to test of the WW Starlight Platinium http://hifi-unlimited.blogspot.com/2011/06/privileged-membership-wireworld.html

Alpha10

« Reply #29 on: 6 Nov 2011, 03:57 pm »
Upgraded from Wire World Starlight Gold 5.2AES/EBU  to Starlight Platinium AES/EBU .
Link to test of the WW Starlight Platinium http://hifi-unlimited.blogspot.com/2011/06/privileged-membership-wireworld.html

And did you hear much difference with the BDP?

Cheers

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #30 on: 6 Nov 2011, 04:28 pm »
  Check Supra Trico at around $85. Just make sure whatever you try is a true 75ohm design. Believe it or not this link is critical for better sound. Try as many as you can until you reach the synergy you desire. Fun , fun, fun.

charles
SMA

StigO

« Reply #31 on: 7 Nov 2011, 08:17 pm »
Wireworld gold eclipse 5.2

Stig

OgOgilby

« Reply #32 on: 10 Nov 2011, 09:27 pm »
After testing various digital cables between the BDP-1 and BDA-1 over the last year, I settled on the horribly named "Purist Audio Design Aqueous Aureus -Praesto Revision (AES/EBU)". It was the best match for my all SS system with ribbon tweeters. The Purist Audio cable was darker and superior tonally than the other cables I tested, while maintaining plenty of inner detail.

The Purist Audio cable may not be as good of a match for someone using all tubes and it is normally quite a bit more more money than the nearly as good Morrow Audio and Wywires digital cables (I received a decent discount on the Purist cable). I decided to hang onto the Morrow Audio DIG4 since I plan on getting a new amp next year - just in case it might have better synergy with the new amp.

The Morrow Audio DIG4 and Wywires LITESPD digital cables might be pretty close to each other, but I didn't have them in house at the same time and wasn’t able to compare them to each other. From memory I believe the Morrow Audio cable was a step above the Wywires cable.

Cables tested (somewhat in order of preference since I didn't test all of them at once): Morrow Audio DIG4 (XLR), Wywires LITESPD (BNC), Wireworld Gold Starlight 5 (AES/EBU), Audioquest Hawk Eye (RCA with BNC adapters), Soundoctor (AES/EBU), Monster M1000 (RCA with BNC adapters), Blue Jeans (BNC - Belden 1694A), Audioquest VDM-X (RCA with BNC adapters).

-Greg

SamKVA

« Reply #33 on: 12 Nov 2011, 03:55 pm »
Straight Wire Info-Link BNC both ends and Kimber Illuminati AES/EBU. The Straight Wire path is far superior but there is no way of knowing if it's the cable, connections or a combination of both.

Sam

headshrinker2

« Reply #34 on: 13 Nov 2011, 04:05 am »
Sam,
In what way(s) was the Straight Wire BNC superior to the Kimber AES/EBU?

Straight Wire Info-Link BNC both ends and Kimber Illuminati AES/EBU. The Straight Wire path is far superior but there is no way of knowing if it's the cable, connections or a combination of both.

Sam

SamKVA

« Reply #35 on: 13 Nov 2011, 12:02 pm »
Sam,
In what way(s) was the Straight Wire BNC superior to the Kimber AES/EBU?

It creates a broader and deeper soundstage and the music is more even across the tonal range. The Illuminati doesn't sound bad and I was surprised a digital cable could make that much of a difference.

fado

« Reply #36 on: 29 Nov 2011, 02:18 pm »
BDP-1 to DAC cables:  Has anyone tried the cables sold by Bryston? How would you place the Bryston cables in relation to the other cables discussed here?  If I am unwilling to spend more than ~$400 on a single AES/EBU digital interconnect - why would I not just trust that the Bryston cable does right by the BDP-1? -Thank You

SHV

« Reply #37 on: 29 Nov 2011, 04:37 pm »
BDP-1 to DAC cables:  Has anyone tried the cables sold by Bryston? How would you place the Bryston cables in relation to the other cables discussed here?  If I am unwilling to spend more than ~$400 on a single AES/EBU digital interconnect - why would I not just trust that the Bryston cable does right by the BDP-1? -Thank You

I make my own digital 75 ohm cables with Canare wire and connectors as are the Bryston cables (best that I can tell from the description).   At ~$100, the Bryston cable is a fair mark-up for a cable,  relative the to astronomical mark ups and profit margins in the cable bidness.  For some prospective, a high quality Canare cable from a commercial video supplier will run around $25 USD.

Steve