Finally, Some tubes to warm my day...

kingdeezie

Re: Finally, Some tubes to warm my day...
« Reply #20 on: 16 Sep 2011, 12:53 pm »
Sounds like biasing that particular tube amplifier is a PITA.

I don't know why you would make an amplifier where the bias pots are not easily accessible, because the amplifier needs to be both on and connected to speakers to bias it properly and safely.

Perhaps sell it for a profit, and get into something that auto bias, or is easier to maintain. Rogue, Manley, VTL, etc, etc, all have better options and a more modern tube sound (much less colored, but still holographic and organic).

Enjoy it anyway. I bought tube monoblocks and don't think I could ever go back to SS.

SoundGame

« Reply #21 on: 16 Sep 2011, 12:54 pm »
The guy from Bryston dealer just visited :thumb:

After some quick tests he concluded that  the hum was partially because i'm sharing the socket/line with my video equiptments (i got a dedicated line for my audio equiptments, but it's currently out of reach...due to the thing's sheer weight..)  .

And the thing shall be re-biased , he'll come again in the weekend so he can spend more time on the thing. Beacuse the biasing ports were not directly accessable on the top panel and he'll also need a 'load resistor'... (never heard of it...  :scratch: )

BTW, i just found a 'tubes 101' article over the net.... Tubes are NUKE PROOF!  :icon_surprised:

I don't quite believe - Nuke Proof - as a Nuke will devour anything in it's path - but I believe you mean tube are immune to EM pulse shut-down, unlike transistors.  Nuke's generate large EM pulse's.

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
« Reply #22 on: 16 Sep 2011, 04:50 pm »
Sounds like biasing that particular tube amplifier is a PITA.

I don't know why you would make an amplifier where the bias pots are not easily accessible, because the amplifier needs to be both on and connected to speakers to bias it properly and safely.

Perhaps sell it for a profit, and get into something that auto bias, or is easier to maintain. Rogue, Manley, VTL, etc, etc, all have better options and a more modern tube sound (much less colored, but still holographic and organic).

Enjoy it anyway. I bought tube monoblocks and don't think I could ever go back to SS.

Indeed it's a pain and further more, the French don't measure induvidual tubes, they measure the power tubes in bankss of 3 , so i think i'm actually going to shoot for an average value over a row of 3 6550C's each time, the tubes are the following order:
1  4     1  4
2  5     2  5
3  6     3  6  < power tubes

And the dealer guy told me that the Jadis adjustment ports were LIVE running hundreds of volts so the process can be 'quite tricky' , especially when you are holding the 120+lbs bulk of metal on its side and innards exposed... . Thumb on the wrong bit and it's the instant death sentence... :scratch: Maybe that's why they'd hide the ports inside for only the determined few...  otherwise they'll have lots of fried customers.. BTW, i just came across a review, it is said that the bias is FIXED and not intended to be adjusted by the user... how come? what happens if there's hum? Live with it? .  :scratch:

Maybe i'll shake it off my hands once i've had enough hassle but for now, i'm having fun....

----

Soundgame : Yeah, i mean the EM pulse.  :green:

---------------------

UPDATE: Just an hour ago it overloaded my temporary power strip and tripped the fuse switch in it,  the sudden silence almost scared the soul out of me. I jumped up in panic and flipped the power switch more than a dozen times until i finally realize maybe it's the weak power strip... :duh:
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2011, 02:28 pm by amblin »

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #23 on: 18 Sep 2011, 03:53 pm »
How about something to warm your house...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7qMVYf85sM

Enjoy  :D

Be well...