CORNET2 Phonostage now Available!

hagtech

« on: 20 Apr 2004, 10:50 pm »
"Constructor" project #2 is now available - the "Cornet2" vacuum tube phonostage.  

The Cornet2 is really just a Cornet Classic circuit fitted into the new chassis.  Improvements include the larger 370BX transformer, constant current sinks, a mono switch, and a bi-color LED.  The Constructor series shares a common platform and architecture.  Chassis' can be stacked to make a rack, or bolted side-by-side to fit a standard 19 inch rack.

Half-kit is $125, factory assembled for $995.

http://www.hagtech.com/cornet2.html

jh :)

library

Questions
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2004, 03:33 pm »
New constructor series has slightly different power supply than original cornet. Does the new one have heater timer with two transistors?

-lib

Rocket

Hi
« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2004, 11:04 pm »
Hi Jim,

I've been interested for some time in purchasing one of your phonostages.

The stumbling block has been the chassis.  Can you let me know how much it costs for your chassis and whether all the holes are precut?

regards

rocket

hagtech

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2004, 07:00 am »
The power supply is essentially the same except for the upgraded transformer.  There are a few little tweaks; the resistors in series with the rectifier are for both resonant damping and reduces peak current seen  by 5Y3 (increasing lifetime), and the two-color LED circuit.  There are no "timer" circuits or relays, just the inherent delay in the warmup of heaters.  I find this an extremely pleasing and natural solution.  

The LED is a nice feature, but has no affect on sound.  It glows red when powered-on, and then switches to green when high voltage comes up.  No timing or muting circuits necessary.

As far as the chassis, it is available from Lansing direct from stock for about $85.  You have to cut and drill holes yourself for the tubes and transformer, etc.  I have purchased a number of pre-cut and silkscreened black chassis for the factory assembled units ($995).  I can make some of these available for you.  But they aren't cheap - a 1.5x markup is $225.

jh :)