Super-V's going to the show, and new build pics daily.

Danny Richie

Re: Super-V's going to the show, and new build pics daily.
« Reply #20 on: 9 Sep 2011, 05:10 pm »
How the heck do you still have those?

I never really advertised them. I just kept them as a personal pair.

Rclark

« Reply #21 on: 9 Sep 2011, 06:44 pm »
Those yellow Super-V's are hands down the best looking pair. But these will be cool too.

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 9 Sep 2011, 07:57 pm »
Those yellow Super-V's are hands down the best looking pair. But these will be cool too.

Well then you need the Yellow pair.  :wink:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #23 on: 9 Sep 2011, 09:56 pm »
I'm gonna stick with the LS6's for now.  If I want them painted yellow I know where to find Rueben. 

R_burke

« Reply #24 on: 10 Sep 2011, 01:02 pm »
Well then you need the Yellow pair.  :wink:

Pictures please

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #25 on: 10 Sep 2011, 01:19 pm »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=86946.0

Post #14 gives a front view of the Super-V's in yellow. 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #26 on: 10 Sep 2011, 01:46 pm »

"Patricia Barber is a secret guilty passion of mine, so when I heard the sound of her singing "The Quality of Mercy" from Café Blue coming from room 2024 in the Marriott Tower, I had to go in. The system featured GR Super V open-baffle speakers ($2495/pair as a kit), which were designed by Danny Richie, who had done some of the crossover design on the well-regarded Usher Be718 speaker. Amplifiers were Dodd Audio tube monoblocks, preamp Dodd's battery-powered tube-buffered passive design. the D/A processor was the Tranquility from dB Audio Labs. This $2395 processor was being fed data via USB from a Mac mini modded by Mach2 Music. For $1495, Mach2 supplies a turnkey Mac mini fitted with a 40GB solid-state drive and 4GB of RAM, as well as a 320GB external drive for data storage and the playback software of your choice. The mini's Snow Leopard operating system has been slimmed-down by removing anything that would otherwise interfere with the task of streaming music data from the USB port.

The Mach2 Mac mini in the photo (left) has been clamped and set on cones to minimize vibration; the bottom box is a balanced AC power unit from Dodd Audio. "

mono-tubeleosis

« Reply #27 on: 10 Sep 2011, 04:22 pm »
Excellent Danny.  I like the contrast between the satin and the matte finish.  Tone on tone always looks nice. I did my h-frames the same way with a textured matte black.   

I may re-do them though, because I cut the H's with my table saw at home and everything came out 1/32nd of an inch too small.  The lesson I learned was to make sure I don't use a tape measure to make measurements with.  After I cut everything I checked my cuts with a really good steel straight ruler and I realized my Stanley tape measure is not 100% accurate.   :duh: :duh:

Anyway, while I was doing that I was in the process of firing up my old CNC router (4x8) over the summer to cut plex for my business.  What a nightmare that turned into.  I had to completely gut the controller to make it Windows based (long story), because the company I originally bought it from had their own proprietary software and used boards in the controller that they weren't licensed to use. The serial #'s didn't work anymore.  To get around the boards they jerry-rigged the wiring and all the connections had to be re-done.  My 3-D software (Rams Pro) also needed to be upgraded and the whole thing cost me about 8 grand to get up and running again.  Oh well I'll save a lot of money cutting my own acrylic now.

Back to my build though, at least now I can cut my own flat pack with the CNC for the rest of the parts. I'll probably re-do the H-frames since I really haven't invested that much time or money into them anyway.  I did all the vector drawings yesterday, converted them from Illustrator to DXF files and I'm ready to go.  Life should get a whole lot easier now that I don't have to cut them on my small table saw that is pretty ineffective for cuts over 12 inches.

Another thing I was thinking about doing is expose the network by using an acrylic cover.  You know like a Ferrari exposing the engine through glass.  I could etch in the GR logo or make my own custom Super-V logo (I'm thinking maybe like the V8 logo on a car).  Gold screws, name plate etc.  I could also edge light the plex to light up the logo.  Could be cool if I do it right.  IMO the Inductors look too cool not to be seen.

Keep the pictures coming Danny.  Inspiring!

Danny Richie

« Reply #28 on: 13 Sep 2011, 03:31 am »
See pics.  :green:

Yes, I mirrored the crossovers.

And a close up of one after adding the wiring.

And yes, that big Brown square thing is a Jupiter cap.

richidoo

« Reply #29 on: 13 Sep 2011, 05:06 am »
Mmmmm, green coils! Looks delicious! Glad you're bringing them to RMAF Danny.

LarryB

« Reply #30 on: 13 Sep 2011, 12:41 pm »
Those caps make me green with envy. :)

leaguer1leafs

« Reply #31 on: 13 Sep 2011, 05:40 pm »
Hey Danny,

Shot you a note regarding the yellow Super V's...

Cheers,
JJ

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #32 on: 13 Sep 2011, 06:24 pm »
I just saw the pics from early in the thread and man oh man are they cool looking....s__t if I was like a really rich guy I'd have just called you and said them please when your done showing them, something about them is just too cool. The smooth black and then the stone look sides....NICE DANNY!!!! :thumb: :thumb:

LarryB

« Reply #33 on: 13 Sep 2011, 07:41 pm »
The new ones are magnificent.  As Danny won't bring them to NJ for me to audition  :wink: , I guess I'll have to go to Colorado to check them out!

MaxCast

« Reply #34 on: 13 Sep 2011, 08:01 pm »
I got a surprise today and will finally get to hear a pair of these in CO myself  :thumb:

mono-tubeleosis

« Reply #35 on: 14 Sep 2011, 04:45 am »
I got a surprise today and will finally get to hear a pair of these in CO myself  :thumb:

I hope you'll tell us about your impressions.   :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #36 on: 15 Sep 2011, 02:01 am »
Some more assembly pics.

And now wiring the subs. Note how the wiring is feed through small holes in the baffle.

The hole where the excess wiring is poking out is where the SpeakOn connector goes. On the other side of the binding post bar is where the tube connectors mount (two small holes).

And once the sides are all lined with No Rez, you won't see any of the wiring.

gooberdude

« Reply #37 on: 15 Sep 2011, 04:13 am »
What type of wire do you use for the servo circuit?  same gauge as the speaker wire?

cleestedwood

« Reply #38 on: 15 Sep 2011, 06:41 pm »
   Danny, in the picture showing your wiring added to the Super-V crossover, the positive source wire connecting to the green inductor and resistors continues off to the right. There is a short red wire from that connection disappearing under the negative wire to the left. Where does that red wire go to?  Thanks
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2011, 05:43 pm by cleestedwood »

dbarnet

« Reply #39 on: 15 Sep 2011, 06:56 pm »
 :D
Danny the Pictures are great and will help me with my build Immensely.

David