Thinking of trying DVD-A...

neekomax

Thinking of trying DVD-A...
« on: 5 Sep 2011, 04:17 am »
I have a Marantz universal player, and I've heard that DVD-A sounds better than SACD, of which I have a few (and with which am not super impressed overall).

Thoughts on DVD-A as a format:

As compared to others (SACD, Red Book)?
The SQ?
Quality of available titles?
Where to find them?
Are they worth it?

Phil A

Re: Thinking of trying DVD-A...
« Reply #1 on: 5 Sep 2011, 11:20 am »
The most important quality of a hi-Rez recording is the source and how it was mixed and mastered. Also, universal machines while they play multiple formats often are better at one vs. another. So you can't judge a format by playback ability of your hardware.  Much less software available on DVD-A and much out of print.  What are you musical preferences and what SACDs do you have?

neekomax

« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2011, 03:49 pm »
Thanks for the response, Phil.

My musical preferences are soul (James Brown, Me'shell N'degeocello, Erykah Badu), jazz (Ahmad Jamal, Dave Holland, Brubeck, Bossa), and mostly melodic rock (Who, Foo Fighters, Phoenix etc.), electro, and singer-songwriter stuff.

Lots of other stuff, but that's my main diet.

On SACD, I have:

Jamie Cullum - Twentysomething
Musiq Soulchild - Soul Star
Cal Tjadar - La Onda Va Bien
Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline

I guess I was wondering where you who have DVD-A get them, and if you think the format is worth exploring if I've been disappointed with SACD (don't feel like it adds anything to the experience).

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2011, 04:14 pm »
There's not much DVD-A content out there, and no new ones being made, it is a dead format. SACD still has new releases happening from smaller labels, especially in classical. The future of high resolution digital is in in BluRay and downloads.

Technically SACD has the potential for superior sound quality to DVD-A. IMO, most budget universal players don't have the resolution in the supporting electronics to deliver the full potential of either format. Either should sound at least a little better than CD though.

I would invest in a good high resolution audiophile DAC which can accept spdif from a universal player that can play DVD-A. Then you can play DVD-As on it and when you're bored of that you can still play hirez downloads. Buffalo3 DAC can play DSD (the digital format on SACDs), if you can get the stream to it. I don't know how to do that yet. DSD usually doesn't come out the digital output of consumer SACD players, for copyright reasons.

neekomax

« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2011, 04:30 pm »
There's not much DVD-A content out there, and no new ones being made, it is a dead format. SACD still has new releases happening from smaller labels, especially in classical. The future of high resolution digital is in in BluRay and downloads.

Technically SACD has the potential for superior sound quality to DVD-A. IMO, most budget universal players don't have the resolution in the supporting electronics to deliver the full potential of either format. Either should sound at least a little better than CD though.

I would invest in a good high resolution audiophile DAC which can accept spdif from a universal player that can play DVD-A. Then you can play DVD-As on it and when you're bored of that you can still play hirez downloads. Buffalo3 DAC can play DSD (the digital format on SACDs), if you can get the stream to it. I don't know how to do that yet. DSD usually doesn't come out the digital output of consumer SACD players, for copyright reasons.

Hmmm, interesting richidoo. Maybe I should consider an Oppo BD-93, so I can do Blu-Ray (I have a PS3 that won't read discs anymore  :(), still have DVD-A and SACD capability, and better onboard DACs. I'm wary of spending $$$ on fancy outboard DACs, until I really know that I'll hear a signifiant difference. But you're saying that a really good DAC is necessary to experience the fruits of hi-rez?

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2011, 04:31 pm »
I'd agree with a DAC.  You can also get an HDMI audio de-embedder and convert SACD to hi-Rez PCM (if your player can do that). I have lots is SACDs.  If you find a copy of the put of print Sam Cooke Live at the Copa at a reasonable price it sounds really good in multichannel.  Go to SACD . Net to see what is available too

neekomax

« Reply #6 on: 5 Sep 2011, 04:33 pm »
I have a two channel system, by the way.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2011, 04:54 pm »
Many of my DVD-A discs are now available from HDTracks for download in HiRez.  Most downloads are cheaper than what I paid for the disc.

For two channel, my simple PC Music Server and external DAC are more than the equal to my Integra DPS-8.3 or Oppo HD-981 Universal Disc Players.   Lots of programs to allow you to rip your CD and DVD-A collection to hard drive.

I also integrated a BD drive into the Music Server to play music or 1080p movies.  Also works to rip music to the hard drive.

IIRC the Oppo BDP-95 can be used as a DAC when tied to a Music Server.

Just a thought.

tesseract

« Reply #8 on: 5 Sep 2011, 05:12 pm »
I have the Marantz VC6001 universal player, which I use to it's fullest, Redbook, DVD-A, SACD, and concert/movie DVD. While I do enjoy 16/44.1 very much, the hi rez formats are a definite improvement and easy to notice on this player.

I've also had low end Sony and Yamaha SACD players, the difference between Redbook and SACD wasn't quite as stark, I felt "robbed" by the hype of the hi rez at the time. It really does depend upon the quality of the mix and the player.

neekomax

« Reply #9 on: 5 Sep 2011, 05:21 pm »
I have the Marantz VC6001 universal player, which I use to it's fullest, Redbook, DVD-A, SACD, and concert/movie DVD. While I do enjoy 16/44.1 very much, the hi rez formats are a definite improvement and easy to notice on this player.

I've also had low end Sony and Yamaha SACD players, the difference between Redbook and SACD wasn't quite as stark, I felt "robbed" by the hype of the hi rez at the time. It really does depend upon the quality of the mix and the player.

I think I may be in this particular boat at the moment. My player was $150 used on eBay.

Don_S

« Reply #10 on: 5 Sep 2011, 05:23 pm »
I have a two channel system, by the way.

That is where I think you will be disappointed with DVD-As.  They have multiple formats (including video) on the same disk and you need a monitor to navigate to the stereo format.  At least that is the experience I had with the couple that I purchased. I quickly gave up on the format as did most people. The format could not decide what it wanted to be so it tried to be everything--stereo, multi-channel, video. And, as a result, did not serve the strictly two-channel audiophile community.

I wish DVD-As had not killed off the infant 24/96 stereo format. I think that could have been a viable format.  I won't argue whether it was superior to SACD, just that it had more universal appeal via millions of existing DVD players and lack of a required license fee to Sony.

tesseract

« Reply #11 on: 5 Sep 2011, 05:28 pm »
My usage is purely 2 channel and I do hate having to turn on the TV to navigate DVD-A menus. Sometimes there are cool pics to go along with the music, though, like NIN or Rush discs.

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 5 Sep 2011, 05:49 pm »
Many of the early DVD-As required a TV to switch audio between 2-channel and multi-channel. Later they were authored to allow the audio button to toggle between mixes

neekomax

« Reply #13 on: 5 Sep 2011, 06:10 pm »
I have a tv that's hooked up to the universal player, so that's not too big a deal.

But I think I'm hearing that:

Unless I upgrade my player, I'm not going to get much of a difference in sq, AND...

Even if I upgrade (just) my DAC, getting a digital stream from these Hi-Rez formats is a hassle, right?

mrhyfy

« Reply #14 on: 5 Sep 2011, 06:31 pm »
Many of the early DVD-As required a TV to switch audio between 2-channel and multi-channel. Later they were authored to allow the audio button to toggle between mixes

Hence the demise of DVD-A???  I think so.
It's not fair for some to bash the sound quality of DVD-A saying it tried to cover too much,,,suround,video etc because an album could have been released in two channel  192-24 if the publisher wished.

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 5 Sep 2011, 07:23 pm »
They actually did not need a new format. A 24/96 stereo mix and Dolby Digital surround could have fit on an ordinary DVD.  No new hardware would have necessary. They wanted a new stream of royalties and hence the new formats SACD and DVD-A.

mrhyfy

« Reply #16 on: 5 Sep 2011, 07:32 pm »
They actually did not need a new format. A 24/96 stereo mix and Dolby Digital surround could have fit on an ordinary DVD.  No new hardware would have necessary. They wanted a new stream of royalties and hence the new formats SACD and DVD-A.
+1