Nissan Cube: Anybody got one?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Nissan Cube: Anybody got one?
« on: 4 Sep 2011, 08:56 pm »
My wife is considering buying one of these.  We drove one last week and it wasn't bad.  Aside from wind noise (less that her POS New Beetle's tire noise, IMO), what do you think?  Mileage?  Reliability?  Other comments?

Thanks!

'brick

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Nissan Cube: Anybody got one?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Sep 2011, 03:12 am »
You might check out the new 2012 KIA Soul + (Plus).....Link...

Take a test drive....and it comes with an excellent warranty ...... :thumb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYmChMkLi7k   :lol:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2011, 04:16 am »
get one in black, so the hideous asymmetric rear end isn't so noticeable.   :lol:

or, check lonewolf's adwice.  or, find a used gen-1 scion xb.  i love mine, and at ~100k; it's still as tight and solid as new.  it's been as reliable as can be; the worst mileage i have ever gotten is 30mpg.  it is relatively quiet, handles great, and has amazing room for its small exterior dimensions.  power is adequate w/the manual transmission; i'd be reluctant to get one w/an a/t.  but, in fairness, i'd be reluctant to buy any wehicle w/an a/t.

doug s.

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2011, 08:23 am »
My wife is considering buying one of these.

Why?

sts9fan

« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2011, 02:27 pm »
I would not personally buy one but I LOVE the rear window.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2011, 03:55 pm »
I would not personally buy one but I LOVE the rear window.
the rear window is what would keep it off my short list.  different strokes for different folks.   :green:

doug s.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 5 Sep 2011, 04:26 pm »
Nissan Cube is cute. It's design is both French and feminine. Since it is a Nissan, reliability should be pretty high and economy should be very good.

No doubt she chose the Beetle for its cute factor and she's doing it again with the Cube. This time, however, you get a trouble free vehicle out of the deal.

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2011, 05:01 pm »
It's among the breed of small, funny cars marketed in Japan as 'housewife's shopping car' and 'Youngmen's affordable transport' , highly popular there and you can find all kinds of crazy mods based on them.  But the problem is, it's just a small car shaped to look like a wagon, and because of the size,  if you put the kids in the back, there won't be much boot space left either. So IMO this rather spoiled the point of buying a 'mini wagon' in the first place

The performance and build is typical for a small nissan. Quality plastic parts here and there,  Good fuel-economy and CVT transmission, soft suspention but that'd be all that's worth a mention. There's nothing special apart from the funnly look (especially if it's in pink)  :green: But i think i'll be so ashamed and put a paper-bag over my head if my wife's driving a pink midget wagon and i'm the one sitting in the back.
---
If you really want space, fuel economy and a bit of performance (fun) ,  the Skoda Yeti is something you simply shouldn't forget.  I attended their press test-drive near lake Baikal.  A rather stange and wild place to showcase a car that's mainly meant to be used in cities. But anyways, it's a superb car, impressive off-road capabilities, large luggage space , great build quality and yet it's only the price of an interesting-enough hatchback.

EDIT: Oops, :green: Unfortunately it appears that it's not yet on sale in the States, but maybe you can ask the dealer and see if they can import one for you.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #8 on: 5 Sep 2011, 06:21 pm »
Thanks, guys!

We are not spring chickens, and yeah, she's buying it ONLY because it's cute.   :scratch: :wtf: :banghead:  We tried the Kia Soul today, lousy rear visibility and seats like wooden planks.

Besides the above stated comments, all of which I agree with, any reliability issues?

Thanks!

'brick

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
« Reply #9 on: 5 Sep 2011, 06:42 pm »
Thanks, guys!

We are not spring chickens, and yeah, she's buying it ONLY because it's cute.   :scratch: :wtf: :banghead:  We tried the Kia Soul today, lousy rear visibility and seats like wooden planks.

Besides the above stated comments, all of which I agree with, any reliability issues?

Thanks!

'brick

Nope, they're build by robots and Japanese robots never make a single mistake :green: Sometimes they seem to be lasting too long, the plastics r all shiny and oily but the car is still going.  :icon_lol: Because the japanese prefer to put their well proven and tested parts into these budget lil cars and therefore they're all rather easy to fix in case something really went wrong.
---
btw, how about Fiat 500. That lil loaf of italian bread? Cute, and fun to drive, should be very appealing to someone who liked the beatle.  If your wife can drive manual, Get the basic Abarth Version, the 130 lil italian horses under the bonnet can make it go like a crazy rat.  :green: Simply tell her it's the great-grand son of the car (48' Fiat 500B) featured in the movie 'Roman Holiday' . She'll love it.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #10 on: 5 Sep 2011, 08:51 pm »
Just drove the Cube over a railroad crossing that, in that POS VW, would shatter your teeth, and the Cube didn't break a sweat.  MUCH smoother!!!!!!

Radio doesn't suck as bad
Wind noise a little worse, but engine and tires are MUCH quieter in the Cube.

Now if I can just get her to realize that Metallic Grey is just as funky as that lousy red she's been driving, and make her think it is HER idea, it'll be GREAT!

If our gentle readers haven't already figured it out, I've hated that goddamned New Beetle since she brought it home 4 years ago! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

But being the supportive wimp that I am, I just say "whatever you want, dear!"    :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

Crap.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 5 Sep 2011, 08:58 pm »
When looking for a reliable car, I would hesitate to invest in a newly designed Fiat/Chrysler joint venture. If she likes the Cube let her buy the Cube. You guys with the alternate suggestions are allowing male bias to interfere. Why? The lady likes its looks and there are no practical objections being made as to why it might not be suitable.

I deliver to the parts department at Fuoco Motors every day. They are a Nissan dealer so I'll ask if there is any problem as yet with the Cube. I'm betting that it will give you 100,000 trouble free miles.

srb

« Reply #12 on: 5 Sep 2011, 09:03 pm »
I think you would probably be very happy with the Cube because your expectations are realistic.  After all, you're not looking for the absolute most perfect car in the price range, just one that doesn't suck as much as the present one!  And that your wife thinks is cute.

Steve

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #13 on: 5 Sep 2011, 09:43 pm »
Thanks, Guys!  Before I suggested the Fiat I'd go back to northeast Texas and buy the '59 Opel Caravan that I saw down there a few years ago!  That was my first car, and I could fix ANYTHING on it with a crescent wrench and a hammer.  I know, because that's all the tools I had at the time. :lol:

I am THRILLED that she has decided on this particular Cube with only 6K miles on it.  NO MORE F***ING NEW BEETLE with all its dumbass problems.  The sales staff have been pretty easy to deal with, but they do have one guy that looks like Joe Cocker circa 1969 and wears Elvis-style sunglasses.  If he had so much as said "HI!" to me I would have knocked his teeth in and left.  OTOH, I've complimented our salesman and told him the rest of the sales staff seem to be good folks.  Frankly I'd rather pay a little more and feel like I made a friend than have to fight with some scumbag.  And yeah, I've worked in sales from time-to-time.   :duh:

OK, end of rant.  Maybe with all the money she'll save on repairs she'll buy me Maggie 3.7s for Christmas! 

One can dream, eh? 

Thanks for all the support, guys!    :thumb:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #14 on: 5 Sep 2011, 10:04 pm »
Nice purchase, thunderbrick.  Is the Cube from the Versa chassis? Those drive pretty well, with lotsa' space, for a very inexpensive vehicle.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #15 on: 5 Sep 2011, 10:41 pm »
Dunno, but I did get the scare of my life when she walked up and said "we couldn't make the deal happen" and walked out.  I stayed upbeat and supportive (while wanting to pull my hair out!), and she asked if she was doing the "right thing" by walking away, or was she being stubborn over a few hundred bucks.  I said the deal was good, it'd take a lot more work to gain very little, and that it's really the one she wanted.  She went back in and made the deal (WHEW!)

NOW, Dammit, I'll miss half of the Maryland-Miami game because it's a two-hour drive home.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Oh, well, I play the role of the supportive husband.  Except she DID take great offense when I asked if I could drive it home.    :duh: :lol:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #16 on: 6 Sep 2011, 03:57 am »
Yeah, it's the Nissan B chassis...http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/08q4/2010_nissan_cube-auto_shows....the same one that is used on the Versa, Leaf and Juke.

Nice long wheelbase (for a small car) makes for silkier ride  :thumb:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #17 on: 6 Sep 2011, 04:03 am »
Things ended up great!  We just finished the 100-mile drive home and it was very relaxing.  I like the CVT and it didn't seem to be straining at 80 mph, even with some hills.

My wife kept saying "I can't believe it was all so easy!  I've never had such a nice time buying a car in my LIFE!"

Salesman was low-key, nice guy, calm, a real gentleman!   For the GAS guys it was Bommarito Nissan at 270 and N Lindbergh.

It's late now.  G'nite, all!

'brick

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #18 on: 6 Sep 2011, 07:17 am »
I bought a new 2012 Ford Focus Yellow Blaze with a manual transmission. the end of August.
I live in a big metro area. not one Focus with the color and a manual transmission around here. So i find the only one with the stuff i want 60 miles away on a small farm town.
I am pretty happy with it. It has pretty good handling.